Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Young - Dr. McDonald

They did it despite a great deal of criticism and skepticism, and succeeded in coming through a credible phase 1 trial.

criticism and skepticism from ppl with degrees. had they not taken a aggressive stand, no macrophages today. which is exactly what i fuss about, more researchers taking an aggressive approach.

Several companies are dipping their toes into the water but have not yet committed to clinical trials.
    • Novartis licensed IN-1 and they are still doing preclinical studies.
    • Biogen licensed the Nogo receptor blocker from Yale and they are doing preclinical studies.

Several companies dipped their toes in and then withdrew.
    • Alexion said that they were planning on a porcine olfactory ensheathing glia trial but did not.
    • Boston Life Sciences Inc wanted to take inosine into clinical trial but did not.

There are several other companies with a variety of products that they think would be useful for spinal cord injury but have not been able to raise the money to move the therapies into clinical trial.

what are we going to do? nothing as usually?

Dr. Young, Phebus, thank you for being proprietous and optimistic, two things our community is in sore need of.

seneca how do you describe me?

One thing that our "community" - which doesn't exist - needs to sorely get rid of is its complacency.

DA, you could help some of the companies raise money so that they can move the treatments into clinical trial. It has been very lean times for biotech companies in the past few years. Some might even describe it as a bloodbath. You could also help push for NIH funding so that the treatments can go to clinical trial.

Novartis has been trying very hard to get the data that would allow them to get IN-1 into clinical trial. You don't think that Martin Schwab, et al. does not want it to go into clinical trial? There is probably nothing that he would more dearly love, I believe.

I don't think that that scientists are being complacent. They are just not getting the support that they need to move therapies into clinical trial. Most of the people that I know are working their butts off to do so.

Wise.

Originally posted by DA:

seneca how do you describe me?
    A wet blanket. Sorry but you asked.

You're always so quick to undermine and criticize progress. You've been apart of these forums for a long time so you should know that things are looking better than ever. So what that drugs that have been in the pipeline were never developed or that treatments that were identified have now been abandoned. It doesn't mean that the our futures are hopeless. In 1980 I was told that a cure would be available by 1995, it didn't happen but I understand why as you do as well. The knowledge base, infrastructure, funding situation and the amount and quality of research has improved dramatically. The research community now has the means and support to expeditiously move therapies from the research and development phase to clinical trials. That was never the case before. Past failures are not a fair indication of what will happen in the future. Imagine how quickly things will move when (if) the CRPA bill is passed. Don't be so negative and morose DA, good things are happening.

cluck cluck cluck peck peck peck seneca.

dr young its starting to look like ole marty mar made a mistake with novartis or maybe licensed in1 out too soon. he was making better progress before.

Wise,
    I wasn't criticizing the complacenecy of scientists - I was saying that "we" need more SCI sufferers that want, and believe in, a cure. Those communities, like AIDS sufferers, are much more united because they have a common belief and goal - that a solution to their problem can be found.

Originally posted by wcrabtex:

If the Australians and Chinese fail in their efforts or even worse if some of their patients should have a significant complication it will set this research back for years. I do not want to see that happen because I believe OEG cells may be the "HOLY Grail".

WCR
    In order to succeed one must be willing to fail . . . more than once. Any argument that indicates we are not ready for human clinical trials with OEG or ESC is simply too conservative and in my mind plainly wrong. And this goes for ASC as well . . . may I remind everyone that Nueronyx is going to trial some time next year using therapies generated from bone marrow (which is why I have suggested ASC may be the way to go in avoiding the rejection issue).\

As human trials go forward we should and must accept that failures will occur. And those who we seek funding from must be equally prepared (most already are). With each failure we're closer to an answer. The best we can do is minimize the number of times we fail, but putting off human clinical trials at this point is not a good option. The time to move forward is now.

So let's go get the money annd get this thing started shall we?

larwatson,

You are correct sir!! Yes, we need to proceed ahead. OEG safe? In China, this has been proven over 350 times, how many more do we need?

The Aussies did OEG nearly a year ago, and must be convinced of the safety since they just did a second patient.

Craig now has a GLP lab. SCI's are ready to participate in the US. The time for collaboration for clinical trials is today.

WE'VE GOT TO START SOMEWHERE!!

Incidentally, the Neuronyx is an acute trial only, but you know this, I listed this for the benefit of others.