Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: i wish somehow we can all reach a place we want to be

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Skippy and Andy .. I can so relate .. making me nervous about going back! lol
    <snip>
    Jenn,
    How did going back to work turn out? Inquiring minds (nosy people) want to know.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Great! I have to admit I was exhausted afterwards though ... came home and had diarrhea (yay ... not). I remembered all my higher security passwords .. but not my local one dammit so I couldn't do much in the way of answering calls! That's supposed to be fixed tomorrow.

My employer is really great about having me take it slow, which after yesterday, I'm in total agreement with!

Thank goodness the uniform still fit! lol

I'm happy to fill my days with something for sure.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Great! I have to admit I was exhausted afterwards though ... came home and had diarrhea (yay ... not). I remembered all my higher security passwords .. but not my local one dammit so I couldn't do much in the way of answering calls! That's supposed to be fixed tomorrow.

My employer is really great about having me take it slow, which after yesterday, I'm in total agreement with!

Thank goodness the uniform still fit! lol

I'm happy to fill my days with something for sure.
    Glad you're back in the game!

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I can so relate to your post. 'When I gave up the job that I loved, I have never been the same. My concentration is just not what it once was to be able to carry a staff of 22 and do it right. I knew at the level that the pain increased I was not going back to the capacity that I had worked so hard to obtain.

I have yet to re-develop those hobbies although I am working on it. With my daughter being grown, I don't even have a child to take care of anymore. Nurturing and caring was my life like my grandmother's before me. I spent last year grasping for something to give my life purpose all while the seering pain you are describing kept getting worse.

I have done the same things as you medically in the last couple of months by seeking out a counselor/pain psychologist. I have weened off the anti-depressant I was on for many years that was supposed to help the burning. It just quit working and weening off was enough to scare me into not going back on one.

When I am an employee, I am a work-aholic and don't know when to stop. (several of my colleagues have told me this) I have to have a focus on something and I loved my job.

So when I finally realized I wasn't going to get to go back to work and that was not until a couple of weeks ago, I started walking. I am talking long distance walking that I had never done. My scooter has been in storage so I have been having to walk my dog anyway. I walk with a cane and braces. Up to this point, I had always been afraid of distance because my balance is so off and I fall. I have been in the middle of changing doctors so my medicine regimen was a little whacked out anyway.

I guess the irony is I started with a hill, not a big hill....I have that picture on my computer and when I get frustrated I look at the hill because I made it to the top on the first try. So with that hill I climbed out of the valley of last year.

Acceptance has been my saving grace. I was beat down most of last year because I could not go back to work. However, like you said, there is a whole lot more purpose to life than working and killing yourself.

As with many of us here, the pain just a thing we have to live with. I keep wanting to go back to the 15 years that I could keep it in the back of my mind and I can't. The pain interferes at times with my ability to make rational decisions. I have accepted on those days...I make no decisions.

I found a saddle that I think could actually get me back on a horse. After, 25 years, I think I may make that happen this year. I miss having a horse but also miss the freedom of riding. I guess I will have to buy a horse hotel for behind the RV....
    and i so relate to both posts as well as others. i worked hard to get my degrees and on my jobs. now i'm left wondering what exactly to do. i was able to set aside the pain for 25 yrs, now i'm not. it's very depressing.

I wish we can all reach a place where we want to be too...because I'm not at all where I want to be. I try to stay positive but most days it's very hard. Some days the pain and worrying about the future feels overwhelming.
    My goal has been to work, but for a lot of reasons that hasn't happened. After going to college and grad school I had hoped to begin working for the state in the Albany, NY area. Between the terrible economy and budget cuts, the state hasn't been hiring...if they do people need lots of experience that I don't have. Pressure wound problems and surgery also took me completely out of looking for work for quite a while. Working I think would help me feel much better about my life as I'd feel like I had a reason to get up and I wouldn't just be home...also I wouldn't feel like a burden on my family.
    The other goal is a relationship....it's definitely worthwhile if you can find the right person who's okay with your injury and wheelchair. I recently had a relationship end which sucked...still it pays to keep looking and try avenues like online dating sites because there are more "fish in the sea".

Im with everyone here as far as work, I was a true laborer, hard determined organized super sufficient competitive worker. I agree kyle a significant other would be superb, as I already have that life planned if a nice woman fell from up above. Till then I'm rocking and rolling this c-5 injury like no other human could and i currently have a bladder infection since the second week of december. All in all this life isnt pretty but if you gave me a gasp of my previous life i'd hold it FOREVER!

Check that .. sure the schedule is halved and I'm not there as long while I work back up to full-time .. but I've been hit with, "Oh I should show you how the property room works (because that person is gone in five years)," and, "Jenn we need you to make us more involved in social media (because no one else has the time .. they had a website but didn't get enough hits)," and it looks like a supervisor position in dispatch could become available within ten years or less.

I'd still like to develop something outside of work though ... just have no idea what.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12