Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SP Constant Clogging with proteus mirabilis

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    There's at least part of the problem -- your doctor is treating you as though you're an AB, not someone with a neurogenic bladder. For those of us with SCI/D, every symptomatic UTI should be treated as ''complex'', which means 10-14 days of antibiotics rather than the 5-7 day course of treatment recommended for ''simple'' UTIs.

Do yourself a favor and download this booklet about bladder management and give it to your doctor.
    Thanks. I will print it out. I'm a lil afraid I might insult him but at this point who cares. I might actually get a second opinion. I need to do something because everything I'm doing isn't working. I've changed about 5 catheters since my last post. This is completely discouraging. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I've read so much and the more I read the more hopeless it seems. According to the studies I've read proteus mirabilis is near impossible to get rid of.

Although there is some promise of fighting it off by filling the catheter balloon with triclosan but I'm still not sure of how many studies there has been. Drinking alot of water and lemon/lime drinks(which I do) is supposed to slow growth a little bit. I've started my own test by using 100% silicone catheters and filling the balloon with diluted vinegar since the encrustations can only grow in a ph 7 or greater but we'll see..

Also, I tried the silver cath but it only lasted two days then clogged like the rest of them(what a waste of $15) and I haven't ordered the vetericyn but I will very soon.

Heres some more good reading on proteus mirabilis.

Last edited by Padred123; 01-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Get the Vetericyn by all means, but IMO your best shot will be using it in conjunction with a 14 day course of antibiotics to which the proteus is sensitive.

Hang in there, man, it can be beaten. I spent a year battling alternating infections with proteus and pseudomonas. There wasn't one antibiotic to which both bugs were sensitive. I'd successfully treat one and three weeks later be infected with the other. After the ninth infection, I finally convinced my doc to give me the antibiotics that we'd been treating these two bugs with at the same time. It wasn't an easy solution, but it did get me off that carousel.

While I realize that any drug that shows up on the 'sensitive' list of the C&S should effectively treat the infection*, I always ask my doc to prescribe one of the less commonly used antibiotics. For example, the strain of proteus that plagued me was sensitive to Ceftin (cefuroxime), which I'd not taken in years. You might ask your doc to prescribe something different this time around.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Not always taking the same antibiotic is a good idea. It helps to keep the bacteria "guessing". Make sure that you are drinking plenty of water. Stay away from latex catheters. And it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. If your physician gets upset about information regarding a condition he/she may not be familiar with, then I would consider getting a different doctor.
    KCF

Thanks for the encouragement HipCrip & SCI nurse! Its good to know that someones won the battle. I'll keep you posted.

The leakage is still going on! I am getting fed up with this

I have increased the Diropan dosage up to 20 mg, but it is not helping.

I am changing the supra pubic catheter often, still the same problem; the only difference, now, it is not leaking only when I am in wheelchair, however, when I am sleeping too

I have changed the size of the catheter, it didn't help!

Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ValonOsmani View Post

I am changing the supra pubic catheter often, still the same problem; the only difference, now, it is not leaking only when I am in wheelchair, however, when I am sleeping too

Please Help!
    Are you taking Diropan XL (did you mean Ditropan?) or regular Ditropan? The usual dose is one 5-mg tablet two to three times a day. The maximum recommended dose is one 5-mg tablet four times a day. So you are up to the maximum dose for regular Ditropan. Ask your urologist about taking another anticholinergic medication, different form (patch vs. tablet) etc.

Is your catheter clogging up with mucus, sediment? Have you checked the catheter by removing it and cutting it into cross sections to know where the clogging up is happening and to get some idea of what is causing the clogging.

Have you spoken to your physician about instilling Renecidin (also called Suby G solution) into your bladder and retaining it for 25+ minutes. Renecidin is indicated for those who have encrustation of their indwellling catheter that requires changing the catheter more often than every 3-4 weeks.

All the best,
    GJ

My Friend,

Yeah, I meant Ditropan! I am using regular Ditropan; and I had no clue that Ditropan XL exists as well :S

Currently I am using 20 mg per day, four 5mg tablets at once.

Do you think that Ditropan XL could work better?! Shall I switch to that?

No, I don't have any problem with clogging!

No, never heard about Renecidin, I should ask my urologist.

Thanks,

GJ

My Friend,

Yeah, I meant Ditropan! I am using regular Ditropan; and I had no clue that Ditropan XL exists as well :S

Currently I am using 20 mg per day, four 5mg tablets at once.

Do you think that Ditropan XL could work better?! Shall I switch to that?

No, I don't have any problem with clogging!

No, never heard about Renecidin, I should ask my urologist.

Thanks,

GJ
    Maybe you should change the way you are taking the 20 mg Ditropan. Since what you are taking is not extended release, you are probably not getting effectiveness from the drug some parts of the day. Try taking 10 mg twice a day, Breakfast and Bedtime or 5 mg four times a day, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Bedtime. Sure it is easier to take it all at once, but you need a steady release of the drug to work for you.

I have read here that when one anticholinergic medication isn't working another formulation may work better. But maybe you don't need to change drugs if you change the way you are taking this one. It is a thought to consider and discuss with your urologist.

If you aren't having clogging with sediment, the Renecidin won't be of any help to you. Renecidin is supposed to help keep you bladder stone and grit free.

All the best,
    GJ

Please Help!
    Lol I think you accidentally hijacked my thread or theres some sort of glitch. I was planning on giving an update tonight. I'll just start a new thread.

Lemon Juice

Mixing 3-4 oz. of lemon juice with 16 oz. of water twice a day has worked wonders for me.Doubling the time i need to change cath.Just use a straw because its hard on tooth enamel.