Thread: Torn Shoulder Ligaments

Torn Shoulder Ligaments

I tore the ligaments in my left thumb at the time of my initial injury (5 1/2 years ago) and am just now getting around to wearing a thumb brace. Hopefully it will heal after all this time, as the pain and discomfort is still pretty significant. I much more recently tore some ligaments in my shoulder on the same side, and although my physiatrist said it should heal on its own in about 6 weeks, it's going on 3 months now and the area is still sore. I'm careful with my transfers and take ibuprofen on days when the pain is more intense (I don't do this often, as it is usually tolerable), but am wondering if there's anything else I can do to speed the recovery. Being a full time manual wheelchair user, I don't have the option of just not using that arm for a while. I'm heading out of state in a couple of months and will be engaging in a lot of physical activity, and would like full use of that arm and hand, pain free. I'll continue wearing the thumb brace and would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations on how to care for the shoulder. Thanks!
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Get a theraband (or Pilates band). They are EXCELLENT for gentle stretching. I'm not sure if it's roc21 or if I saw it somewhere else but they used a wall to stretch the shoulder in opposite ways that we use them.

When I felt stronger, I would lift light weights and increase to strengthen. Can't hurt to take some glucosamine and chondroitin and I was absolutely eating Motrin every day.

I found heat helps ... but ice if I suspected I worked it too much. Heat every night though. I did find some help from a chiropractor. I didn't go back because I felt he hurt me ... but I have to admit that it didn't hurt after he really worked it (pressed thumb hard into the joint, he did electrical stim, joint stretching, aggressive massage and then iced it ... I was pissed because I had to wheel home a block after that, lol).

I slipped on ice while getting into car (chair slid). Pulled my shoulder and smacked my head from the frame of the car.

I also went back to a transfer board for the car - especially in rain or snow. Just try to limit your transfers for now or make them as easy as possible.

Shoulders are fine now, unless it's going to rain or there's a severe barometric pressure change.

Just be patient with it ... I tried to gently stretch it out 2-4x's per day. That, with the anti-inflammatory were key. I also planned better to limit transfers and wheeling - just work I couldn't alter but I don't wheel much at a desk job. Avoid reaching for things over your head and never pull from above your shoulders!

Might be worth your while to check out a chiro? He would not touch me below my paralysis line or spine (though I let him crack my neck - dangerous but feels absolutely wonderful). Anyone who offers you should run away from - but I would go back to that guy if I have shoulder problems again.

Best treatment is prevention.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 03-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I been using kenesio therapy tape lately with some success. Its cheap on line or you can get it at Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Get a theraband (or Pilates band). They are EXCELLENT for gentle stretching. I'm not sure if it's roc21 or if I saw it somewhere else but they used a wall to stretch the shoulder in opposite ways that we use them.

When I felt stronger, I would lift light weights and increase to strengthen. Can't hurt to take some glucosamine and chondroitin and I was absolutely eating Motrin every day.

I found heat helps ... but ice if I suspected I worked it too much. Heat every night though. I did find some help from a chiropractor. I didn't go back because I felt he hurt me ... but I have to admit that it didn't hurt after he really worked it (pressed thumb hard into the joint, he did electrical stim, joint stretching, aggressive massage and then iced it ... I was pissed because I had to wheel home a block after that, lol).

I slipped on ice while getting into car (chair slid). Pulled my shoulder and smacked my head from the frame of the car.

I also went back to a transfer board for the car - especially in rain or snow. Just try to limit your transfers for now or make them as easy as possible.

Shoulders are fine now, unless it's going to rain or there's a severe barometric pressure change.

Just be patient with it ... I tried to gently stretch it out 2-4x's per day. That, with the anti-inflammatory were key. I also planned better to limit transfers and wheeling - just work I couldn't alter but I don't wheel much at a desk job. Avoid reaching for things over your head and never pull from above your shoulders!

Might be worth your while to check out a chiro? He would not touch me below my paralysis line or spine (though I let him crack my neck - dangerous but feels absolutely wonderful). Anyone who offers you should run away from - but I would go back to that guy if I have shoulder problems again.

Best treatment is prevention.
    Very helpful, Lynnifer, thank you.

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    I been using kenesio therapy tape lately with some success. Its cheap on line or you can get it at Walgreens.
    Thanks!