Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friends Don't Let Friends ...

Friends Don't Let Friends ...

do visible pee bags in public. I mean, c'mon. Cover that bad boy.

hmm..fdlf..wear sweatpants to every occassion..

Yeah, this poor guy had a news crew do a close-up of his. We were watching the news and when they showed a close-up of his pee bag we just looked at each other and wondered WTF?! I'm sure the crew didn't know and I hope he is laughing about the Einsteins that took the close-up at about 1:50 into the vid:
    http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...storyid=954829

I don't know, people do what they have to do and it's hard for me to judge them. I don't know what some one else's disability is like to live with. There was a very pretty woman I met years ago while at a DME. She was so pretty I couldn't take my eyes off her and started chatting her up right away. Found out she was married, damn, always my luck. Anyhow, she had a bag hanging fron the underside of her frame and you couldn't miss it. Not covered by a thing.

I don't know her life. I don't know what it's like to wake up a beautiful young woman, married, quad. There's a lot's of stuff I don't want to see but aren't there a lot of people who don't want to see me and my wheelchair in any part of their day? Now they feel bad, they have to think about things, they were having a good time but geez, here's this wheelchair. I've experienced this firsthand. I hope I'm not gross, I don't want to be. Just living my life. How do you feel seeing some one show up with a chin controller on their chair? Makes me confront some stuff.

Cerebral palsey can be not so much fun to look at. People without a limb, or how about someone who is sick with cancer? I sailed with a fellow with ALS (great sailor) and I saw him get weaker. So pee bags, yeah I don't want a picture of one in my wallet either but whatever people do to live with their disability, heck, I'm on their side. F#ck it, this is how I look. I use a wheelchair and I wear shorts at the gym. Even without an SCI my legs are thin and pale but this is what I look like. Why should I be ashamed (not that you're suggesting I should).

Once I began using a chair sixteen years ago I didn't show my legs in public for twelve years. I couldn't believe the first time I was doing it.

Show your pee bags people, if that's how you roll. IMO. :-)

i personally don't feel anything other than "oh hey, another chair user" and then go on with my day. seeing someone with a different disability than mine doesn't make me re-evaluate my own situation. it is what it is. tho i have no idea about urine bags other than the huge ones you get in hospital. up to the person on whether they want to cover it up or not
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Privacy...where does it begin?

I for one have an issue when it comes to exposure. Bladder/bowel controls. I will admit bladder leakage is not easy to control, yet I have witnessed peer(s) who have had a procedure called "superpub" say its the best thing ever!

I understand this alternate way of eliminating urine has its benefits; however, when witnessed in reality with a female peer, her comment was, "this way I don't need to look for a wheelchair friendly restroom, I can relieve myself anywhere." She inserted her cathing tube near her belly button, unbuttoning her blouse by her waistline, and peed into her plastic bag.

To me that's no different than peeing openly in public. YES, however we can do, we can ~ and please with discretion.

I don't like to see the exposed leg bag look either. The good news is, 99.9% of the AB viewers don't know what it was they saw on his leg.
    Tex
    C4,5,6 incomplete with 100% full feeling

Quote Originally Posted by LizZenU View Post
    I for one have an issue when it comes to exposure. Bladder/bowel controls. I will admit bladder leakage is not easy to control, yet I have witnessed peer(s) who have had a procedure called "superpub" say its the best thing ever!

I understand this alternate way of eliminating urine has its benefits; however, when witnessed in reality with a female peer, her comment was, "this way I don't need to look for a wheelchair friendly restroom, I can relieve myself anywhere." She inserted her cathing tube near her belly button, unbuttoning her blouse by her waistline, and peed into her plastic bag.

To me that's no different than peeing openly in public. YES, however we can do, we can ~ and please with discretion.
    You're local so we might know some of the same people. I ran into a friend one day who I hadn't seen in years. She was sitting in her chair over some kind of grate. We started talking and I noticed she was leaking. She told me she was peeing. Took me by surprise, I didn't know a person could do that.

Judging people is tricky. What some people think should be easy for me is actually pretty damn hard. Why is my kitchen so clean and my bedroom so dusty? I can reach to clean the kitchen, the bedroom sucks with all the leaning and climbing and crawling I need to do. So it doesn't get dusted or vaccumed very often.

When I went to the Abilities Expo I had already been taking stool softeners and used an enema, I didn't want any trouble at the show. Do what you have to do and try and be as pleasant about it as you can but hey, it's disability we're talking about. Some stuff is hard for some people and however they work it out is as I said, okay in my book though I gotta admit I don't do well with chairs all smelly with pee. We all have our sensitivities.

I agree Mem.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

30 some years ago when I was new to the chair, I would empty my leg bag wherever on my property. My very young neice, at the time, caught me emptying a couple of times. I always told her I was changing my oil. We still say that in the family when needing to go to the restroom; "Just going to change my oil".