Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 901 hand controls.

[QUOTE=Automobility Mfg Corp;1560912]
    Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    for me one word comes to mind scary.

The cotter pins usually last a year or so before they fall apart.

Our 901 Hand Control System does not have a cotter pin so this tells me it is not ours that you are speaking of. Have any of you actually had a bad experience with ours or have you just heard of someone having a bad experience? We pride ourself on our product! We meet and exceed all safety standards and are in fact a permenant hand control system without vehicle modification. The cloth you speak of is a rubberized nylon webbing strapping system that is tested to every standard.

All Hand Controls must be installed correctly by the Installer, proper instructions as well as a video are available, we also have our trained technicians here to help whenever it is needed. The wiper lever should NEVER hit the hand control and I can't even picture this, I am assuming for some reason there was maybe some improper installation, even at that I can't fathom how the 2 could hit each other.

Automotive Innovations I can't believe as a business person you would ever even think of knocking down a reputable company on any type of forum. I know you use the Sure Grip hand controls...Sure Grip is great we purchase product from them and vice versa...in the Mobility business we work closely with our "competitors" to ensure every one that needs anything out there can get it from someone in their area so that they have the best positive experience. As I stated we take care of our customers, always have and always will.
    I didn't knock any reputable company or a particular portable hand control.

I simply stated my opinion.
    I've yet to see any portable hand controls i thought were safe!

I've been building my own hand controls for more than 25 years.

Could i build the best set of portable hand controls ever designed, yes.

Will i no, because i believe lots of them (one is to many for me) would be installed incorrectly.

Currently the only people allowed to install our hand controls are us, because All Hand Controls must be installed correctly!

I do agree with you saying

"All Hand Controls must be installed correctly"

Many mobility dealers seem to have a problem doing this, so how is a person going to do this in there back yard?
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

I can guarantee you these were not thought up in 5 minutes!!! If you would like to give me a call I would be happy to talk with you about this. What area did you rent the vehicle in, I can also guarantee you it was something with the installation and NOT the hand control. 800-470-7067 I would be happy to talk with you! Thanks

Thumbs up portable H/Controls

I agree w/Curt about the phc's. IMO, you have to check at least 2 or 3 times to make sure on the pedals tight and no obstructions for safe operation.

In hope of clarifying something for Automobility Mfg Corp.

I am NOT putting down or referring to there hand control or any other particular portable hand control for that matter.

I was simply stating my opinion regarding portable hand controls iv'e seen or had people tell me about.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    In hope of clarifying something for Automobility Mfg Corp.

I am NOT putting down or referring to there hand control or any other particular portable hand control for that matter.

I was simply stating my opinion regarding portable hand controls iv'e seen or had people tell me about.
    What exactly about them makes them unsuitable? Would it be possible that they could viably overtake permanent installations one day?
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

Visit my hand controls website for more information.

Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

You can also see my story here.

I was in a car crash in 1984. I discovered the 901s in 1992 and have been driving with them since that time. For me they work great, I would never drive with portable hand controls and these are definitely permenant hand controls with no vehicle modifications just as they claim. I have driven with many others and some work great but these by far are the best for me. I have changed vehicles 4 times in the course of having the same set of 901s, I have needed other parts and have them reinstalled.

Portable hand controls can be scary I have driven with them and will not again I will stick with my Automobility 901s and will recommend them to anyone.

First I wish people would stop calling them "portable hand controls". They should be known as "temporary hand controls". All hand controls are portable. Just unbolt them.
    Second, try putting PHC's or most hand controls on German cars or the Honda electric. The car manufacturers are makeing gas pedals with round backs, wedge backs, slanted backs. Thick and thin arms. A real pain to get any control on them.
    I believe the manufacturers should get together and lay some ADA on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome B View Post
    I was in a car crash in 1984. I discovered the 901s in 1992 and have been driving with them since that time. For me they work great, I would never drive with portable hand controls and these are definitely permenant hand controls with no vehicle modifications just as they claim. I have driven with many others and some work great but these by far are the best for me. I have changed vehicles 4 times in the course of having the same set of 901s, I have needed other parts and have them reinstalled.

Portable hand controls can be scary I have driven with them and will not again I will stick with my Automobility 901s and will recommend them to anyone.
    What makes portable hand controls scary? I've been driving with the z4 portable hand controls from sportaid and so far it has been working flawlessly. I was going to go with sure grip but I didn't like the fact that I have to keep my left hand by the steering column all the time. I like the fact that the z4 gives me the freedom to rest my hand on my lap while driving with it. It also allows me to use it with my right hand if my left hand gets tired.
    Last edited by tinng321; 08-02-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

"Holy Thread Resurrection"

Just wanted to note that I recently installed a set of the 901 Hand Controls in my car. I'll be posting pics & video soon.
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore