Thread: Couple more handcycle quetions

Couple more handcycle quetions

I noticed that Top End changed the crank setup on the XLT Pro in 2007. I have the original straight bike cranks but now they come with an offset crank with the controls on the handles.

What is the advantage to the offset part? I see the huge advantage to having the controls there. Has anybody retrofitted the older model to the newer one? Could I just get away with changing the handles and moving the twist controls or are the offset cranks needed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlownM3 View Post
    I noticed that Top End changed the crank setup on the XLT Pro in 2007. I have the original straight bike cranks but now they come with an offset crank with the controls on the handles.

What is the advantage to the offset part? I see the huge advantage to having the controls there. Has anybody retrofitted the older model to the newer one? Could I just get away with changing the handles and moving the twist controls or are the offset cranks needed?

Thanks
    You should be able t just change the handles. The new handles they use on the force R will thread into normal bike cranks, you just need a peddle wrench. Top End will sell the handles to you.

A lot of people are going back to narrow cranks with the shifter mounted on the fork. The shifter/brake mounted on the handles didn't work well for me. I was always breaking cables. I have gone to a sram double tap shifter/break mounted on the fork, and use custom cranks with 45 degree handles. I just hang my middle finger out when I want to shift. I can keep a much higher cadence with my current setup.

The Pro really isn't set up for the handle shifter setup. As J said, on the fork is one way of changing it around using the SIS type shifter. Those shifters ar fairly expensive. You may be able to route the cables together and tie them off for better strength, I also put a spring over the cable housing and screwed in at the brake/shifter handle.

For me, as far as ease and no cable breakage, I mounted good twist shifters on each side of the seat rails. Its easy to just reach down and shift. It's a good place to mount a mirror also. ALso helps secure the bike from moving forward when transfering.

I suggest you use the Pro for awhile; find out what you want to do with handcycling, race or recreational. If you want to race, you'll have to upgrade the bike. I'm sure you'll be buying more than one once you find out more on handcycles.

You can get really crazy upgrading a Pro. I suggest going to Bike-on for any parts they require and a regular bike store for shifter etc. upgrades. You'll get a much better deal than Top End for the same parts. Chris Peterson would always tell me to go to Bikeon or, back in the day, he would just give the parts to me. Bike-on has an Ergonomic handle with posts or without to mount the shifters if you want to go that way. http://bike-on.com/product/bike-on-e...-grip-1060.htm

Rather than putting a lot of money into the bike. You eventually may want to upgrade to something else. The Pro was the fastest bike in the world at one time. It's an old design, but still a great bike if you got a good deal on it. I wish I would have known you were looking. There's a guy in Vancouver who has a less than one year old Force G for sale for 1500 and a couple of my old Top End Golds all tricked out for a grand. There's also a guy who has one of my old Pros with probably at least 1500 in upgrades alone for around 500.

The way I upgrade my bikes is by the miles I put on it. If I ride it then I deserve an upgrade. Usually,on a Pro, I would start with a better chain and bottom bracket(Chris Cane) then went with the wider cranks and more efficient handles or shifters etc.. What kind of handles are you using now. I may have some different sets in my parts box.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    The Pro really isn't set up for the handle shifter setup. As J said, on the fork is one way of changing it around using the SIS type shifter. Those shifters ar fairly expensive. You may be able to route the cables together and tie them off for better strength, I also put a spring over the cable housing and screwed in at the brake/shifter handle.

For me, as far as ease and no cable breakage, I mounted good twist shifters on each side of the seat rails. Its easy to just reach down and shift. It's a good place to mount a mirror also. ALso helps secure the bike from moving forward when transfering.

I suggest you use the Pro for awhile; find out what you want to do with handcycling, race or recreational. If you want to race, you'll have to upgrade the bike. I'm sure you'll be buying more than one once you find out more on handcycles.

You can get really crazy upgrading a Pro. I suggest going to Bike-on for any parts they require and a regular bike store for shifter etc. upgrades. You'll get a much better deal than Top End for the same parts. Chris Peterson would always tell me to go to Bikeon or, back in the day, he would just give the parts to me. Bike-on has an Ergonomic handle with posts or without to mount the shifters if you want to go that way. http://bike-on.com/product/bike-on-e...-grip-1060.htm

Rather than putting a lot of money into the bike. You eventually may want to upgrade to something else. The Pro was the fastest bike in the world at one time. It's an old design, but still a great bike if you got a good deal on it. I wish I would have known you were looking. There's a guy in Vancouver who has a less than one year old Force G for sale for 1500 and a couple of my old Top End Golds all tricked out for a grand. There's also a guy who has one of my old Pros with probably at least 1500 in upgrades alone for around 500.

The way I upgrade my bikes is by the miles I put on it. If I ride it then I deserve an upgrade. Usually,on a Pro, I would start with a better chain and bottom bracket(Chris Cane) then went with the wider cranks and more efficient handles or shifters etc.. What kind of handles are you using now. I may have some different sets in my parts box.

Thanks for all the info!! I actually had already ordered the handles from bike-on before reading this. I am going to give the handles a try with some cable modification and see if it works out for me.

I am not looking to spend a bunch of money upgrading the bike just want to make it easier to use. I wasn't even in the market for a bike but I saw this used one on Ebay and it seemed like a decent deal. I paid $1600 for it which sounds like a lot after seeing the prices you mentioned. I guess if I use it and like cycling I can get some of my money back if I upgrade the whole bike at a later time.

I have been riding it the last few days and making adjustments and it seems to be going pretty well. I'll update in a few when I get the handles on let you know how it's going.

thanks

Pat, I'm looking to get into handcycling, but don't want to spend a 'ton-of-money' before I find ou how my body handles the stress (I'm a C-7 incomplete quad). Sounds like your contact in Vancouver might be a good place to start looking for a decent used handcycle; may I please have his contact information or should I work through you? Best regards, Tom Wilson

Hi Tom will send you a pm