Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite trip

Yosemite trip

Hi all,

I'm trying to plan a 2 day trip to Yosemite. What are some of the attractions, sight seeing and must go to spots that are wheel chair accessible there? I don't have a off road chair by the way.

Has anyone been there post injury using a wheel chair? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Are you driving? If so, you can get permission to drive past the locked gate up to Mirror Lake which has a lovely view of Half Dome and Sentinel Rocks (in The Valley).

What time of year are you going? The falls are best in the late spring and early summer. By fall, the flow is down considerably, and during the winter you cannot access much of the park, with little or no waterfalls in action. You can stop at most of the Valley falls where there are paved and accessible trails to the base of the falls, including Bridal Veil, and Yosemite Falls. Of course you also want to stop at Inspiration Point as you enter the Valley. You should plan to take chains if you are going between November and about late March.

Glacier Point is largely (although not entirely) accessible, and the drive out there has many nice places to stop and see views as well as lovely meadows.

Mariposa Grove near the south entrance has an accessible tram ride through the redwood groves that is worth the price of the ticket (around $26/person). You can no longer drive through the groves, and pushing on the roads would be difficult as they are steep at times.

The Tioga Road (eastern entrance) is only open about 4 months a year due to snow, but if you can get to
    Tuolumne Meadows, it is beautiful and some of the shorter trails there are relatively accessible.

In the Valley, Yosemite Lodge has fairly accessible rooms. Curry Village tent cabins are not very accessible, and only the public rooms at the Ahwahnee Hotel are accessible (plus staying there is VERY expensive). Do stop there for the view and to see the public rooms though. There is also lodging nearby outside both the park's western entrances.

Download the park's Accessibility Guide here for more information:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

(KLD)

Thanks SCI-Nurse, you are awesome!!!

I am going next week actually.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Hype, Don't forget to stop at the gate and get a "Golden Access Passport". It will get you in all the national parks for free. Have a great time, it is indeed a magical place!

http://usparks.about.com/library/how...ldenaccess.htm

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Check out wheelchairtraveling.com. There is a review of Yosemite on that site.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

please come back and give us a review with pics.

Hi, looking again at trip ideas…would like to learn more about a trip to Yosemite. Is San Francisco the best airport to fly into, coming from the Philadelphia area? Am looking at end of May/early June of 2015, staying within the park. Reservations can't be made until a year to the date of stay, but would be looking at either the Lodge or Ahwahanee. I understand the latter is more up-scale, but has anyone stayed at either to provide feedback? Would the park be completely open by the end of May, or would I be better off the 2nd week of June? Also, how many days would be suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Hi, looking again at trip ideas…would like to learn more about a trip to Yosemite. Is San Francisco the best airport to fly into, coming from the Philadelphia area? Am looking at end of May/early June of 2015, staying within the park. Reservations can't be made until a year to the date of stay, but would be looking at either the Lodge or Ahwahanee. I understand the latter is more up-scale, but has anyone stayed at either to provide feedback? Would the park be completely open by the end of May, or would I be better off the 2nd week of June? Also, how many days would be suggested?
    Probably flying into SFO (San Francisco) or OAK (Oakland) would be your best bet for direct flights. In part it may depend on what other locations you want to piggy back on your trip.

The Ahwahnee is very upscale, but a treat. Of course you don't have to stay there to enjoy the common areas (Great view of Half Dome, especially nice when there is a full moon), bar and restaurant. Make reservations as far in advance as you can for the hotel or restaurant.

Amtrak goes to Yosemite Valley, from the Bay area (San Francisco/Oakland) via Merced (by train-Amtrak) and into the the park (by motor coach-YARTS). Most YARTS coaches have wheelchair lifts.

Some websites to check out:
    http://jrabold.net/yosemite/transp.htm
    http://www.yarts.com/faq.html

All the best,
    GJ

Ugh, my initial reply vanished. I don't think we would be making any side trips beyond Yosemite. We will be visiting SF/Monterey/Big Sur in September (which you've been quite helpful with!). Unfortunately if I had planned better, perhaps I would have added Yosemite on to my September trip, but alas, I did not. From what I have read, I think I would prefer May/June anyway.

You can also fly into Sacramento to go to Yosemite. The closest small airport is Fresno, but they mostly have commuter flights (tiny planes). The drive from either Sacramento, San Francisco or Oakland airports will be about 3 hours to get to the park. It is over 4 hours from Los Angeles.

As far as time of year, the Valley will be open in May, and is a great time and place to see the spectacular waterfalls which are at their peak in May and June most years. This spring it will not be as good as usual, as we have been having a drought in CA, and the snow pack (which provides the water for the water falls) is at less than 20% of what it should be...without much prospect of improving this late in the year. No way to tell yet if the winter of 2014-2015 will be a higher show/water year or not yet.

Most often the road to Glacier Point and into the Mariposa Grove areas of Yosemite are open by May as well, but Toulomne Meadows is rarely open until the middle of June, and sometimes later. It is one of the most beautiful and accessible high-country areas in the park, and can include a drive over the Tioga Pass to exit the park east near Mono Lake if desired (that road is never open before Memorial Day and often much later).

Traffic around the park, especially in the Valley, is VERY heavy on spring weekends, and every day as soon as school is out. Parking can be problematic. There are plans in the works to ban private vehicles from the park entirely, although this may not include adapted vehicles (more to come on that later), and have shuttle buses and bikes only allowed into the Valley. Right now you can get permisson to drive up to Mirror Lake with a handicapped placard (normally this road is closed to private vehicles).

Yosemite Lodge is much more wheelchair accessible than the Ahwahnee. The latter is beautiful, but very expensive, and difficult to book. We always visit there and you are free to go into the Lounge and Great Hall to see the gorgeous architecture and wonderful views without having to stay at the hotel. The restaurant there is, as above, very good, but also VERY expensive.

Many people choose to stay outside of the park and drive in daily. Your pass is good for a week once you pay for it, but I am assuming you already have a Golden Age passport (due to being disabled) so you should not have to pay for entry. Groveland has a number of relatively inexpensive hotels when coming from the north or west, and Oakhurst from the south of Yosemite.

You might also want to consider combining trips to Yosemite with visits to Sequoia National Park and/or Kings Canyon National Park, which are not far away. Both are beautiful, and much less crowded than Yosemite.

(KLD)