Thread: Traditional blood pressure monitor vs iDevice

Traditional blood pressure monitor vs iDevice

As i was controlling my blood pressure the other day with an rather old blood pressure monitor it got me thinking are devices like the Withings blood pressure monitor as accurate as a traditional blood pressure monitors? it would be great to keep a digital record with things like Blood pressure etc with a little note on how i feel that day in one convenient place. Would you trust the measurements or would you stick to the old style monitor and just write it down by hand?
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

Certifications

Europe: Certified EC medical
    USA: FDA approved (510(k)) as a class II device
    Canada: Medical Device Licence (class 2 device)
    Australia and New Zealand : TGA (class IIa)
    ESH (European Society of Hypertension) test protocol validated

These would imply the accuracy meets some standard.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Good advice above. Look for those types of certifications for a blood pressure monitor used for monitoring (not "controlling") your blood pressure. Be sure that the cuff size is correct for you as well. Good monitors come with different sized cuffs. Using one that is too large or too small can make your readings inaccurate. A digital cuff with push button controls is also much easier to use to monitor your own blood pressure than an older style aneroid (or mercury column) blood pressure monitor (actually a sphygmomanometer).

A good rule of thumb for cuff size is that the width of the cuff should be approximately 1/2 the circumference of your upper arm.

(KLD)

@Kulea Thank you for the clarification, i only knew about EC standards i will look out on those certifications if i know which one i will get.

@SCI Nurse thanks to you as well for the tips. I used to use in the last couple of days a monitor for my wrist because the other one own (upper arm) is very uncomfortable to use it pumps up so hard that i feel like it cuts my blood circulation off (very painful) resulting in an inaccurate reading. As i did some research already today i found some companies offer both wrist and upper arm monitors as far as monitoring goes i know a doctor uses a upper arm monitor should i definitely get one of those over one that i put on my wrist or can i get away with a wrist monitor for ease of use,travel purposes etc?
    Current Wheelchairs: Sopur Helium aka Quickie Q7 (lightest spec) rigid frame with Spinergy Spox Wheels
    Sopur Xenon same frame as the Q7 (lightest spec) folding frame With Spinergy LX (custom)

Wrist is OK as long as it has the certification above, although it can be a little less accurate.

(KLD)

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
    @Kulea Thank you for the clarification, i only knew about EC standards i will look out on those certifications if i know which one i will get.
    What I meant by my post was that the Withings has those certifications. I should have been more clear.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    What I meant by my post was that the Withings has those certifications. I should have been more clear.
    I do know that the Withings has them you have been perfectly clear.

I agree with you guys, the traditional blood pressure monitor are way more better and accurate iDevice blood pressure monitor. To be honest i never use iDevice before but again if i need to chose i will chose traditional instead of iDevice. Again there is some digital blood pressure monitors that i think are inaccurate comparing to traditional analog blood pressure monitor. (i bought mine from Baron Medical ... ) There is no better tool for measuring your blood pressure then analog pressure monitor.