Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: GoShiChi

Sorry you are having trouble. Can you name the dealer and the specific issues you have had? T would help the rest of us.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

SVM Conversion Servicing Issues

Paramoto asked for me to elaborate on the issues we have been having with the SVM conversion, so here goes. I hope this experience helps someone else. Overall Danny loves his truck. It's just a shame that he has to go through so much frustration and inconsideration when a servicing issue arises. I truly believe that sometimes people don't really care about these kinds of things because 1) they have NO CONCEPT of what it is like to be in this type of situation, and 2) they just really don't care.

We purchased the truck from a "regular" Chevy dealer. They are no longer involved in this situation. OVR paid to have Mobility Works in Wall, PA (near Monroeville) do the modification. The service technician at MW (Mike) is wonderful. The problems is that unfortunately like many other things in life (see the rant on the Redman Power Chair!), once they have your money, they no longer feel the need to service you in a manner that is consistent with what most of us would expect after having made such an investment. Regardless that we were blessed enough to have help with the modification, the truck alone has had a big impact on our budget! Because the SVM (previously GoSchichi) conversion is only 5-6 years old, my belief is that the bugs haven't yet all been worked out.

First, during the summer, the actuator motor in the lift mechanism went, leaving Danny literally stranded in mid-air for 2 hours while Mike made the trip - on a Sunday - to hand-crank the lift down because the bolt broke. Danny lost an entire week "waiting" for a part that was never ordered until Thursday after he repeatedly had to call MW! They kept saying they were waiting for the part when it had never even been ordered! "Miraculously" it was over-nighted Thursday and he made the 1-hour-trip each way to have it replaced.

Next, the lift mechanism started making a terrible noise and started bouncing when exiting the vehicle. Again he went to MW and Mike said he needed another new actuator motor but while "waiting" for the motor, he made an adjustment that seemed to alleviate the problem.

The third trip was necessary because the bolt on the chair for the EZ lock broke and instead of them drilling out the old bolt and replacing it with a new one, they just put a new bolt in a slot further back, which made the chair lock in 1" closer to the steering wheel. You wouldn't think 1" would make such a difference, but it was awful how his feet would get caught getting in the truck! I was sure he would eventually break an ankle or something, so I urged him to return to have that fixed.

So, he made another trip to MW to have them drill out the old bolt and replace it with the new bolt in the original position. Instead, they moved the EZ lock somehow as they said this would be a much less involved process. So far that has been acceptable.

Because he hasn't had the noise and bouncing (2nd issue) since Mike made the adjustment, Mike's advice is that if this adjustment is sufficient, don't rock the boat by changing the motor.

Yesterday Danny couldn't get the lift to pick him up into the truck when he left for work. He called MW and they told him to have the battery checked, as they thought it was an issue with the battery. What they didn't tell him was that they should have CHANGED the original factory battery when they did the modification, due to needing more power after the modification. He went to our local auto parts dealer and they deemed the battery to be fine, so he went on to work. He got stuck mid-air at work, unable to exit the vehicle. So he drove the 1-hour-trip to MW. After they replaced the battery with a more powerful one (which is what should have been done in November of 2013), they determined that there is an electrical problem in the door panel that is not allowing the lift to close the truck. They said the part wouldn't be in until Friday of this week. When he got home, he literally had to have someone hand-crank him out of the truck, and here he sits, waiting until they get the part in. I find it very hard to believe that in the United States in 2015 that it takes FOUR DAYS to get a part in! I know for a fact that you can have most anything over-nighted or at least 2nd day air. He called OVR this morning and is being told that the part was ordered yesterday and should be at MW today or tomorrow. He did not receive a call today, so we will see. If past experience repeats itself, my guess is that he will sit at home until Thursday when he calls again and complains and again "miraculously" the part will arrive on Friday, just as he was told in the first place.

Mobility Works is one of only a handful of companies that do these types of modifications, at least the SVM ones, in our area (Pittsburgh, PA). In fact, they ship the vehicles to Indiana where the actual work is done. If an agency such as OVR pays for the modification, the job goes to the lowest bidder, in this case we had no choice but to use MW.

The only reason OVR is available to assist us with things like this is because Danny IS gainfully employed and they are all about keeping people in situations like this working! He has his own business and sitting at home for a week because a part hasn't come in is ludicrous, especially when you have absolutely no control over the situation and are at the mercy of a business that is supposed to be catering to people with mobility problems! it's just a damn shame in my opinion, and sadly, the older I get the more I tend to believe that is the norm these days. Customer service ~ well, exceptional customer service ~ is nearly a thing of the past. Sad, very sad.

Has anyone had the conversion done recently? Any issues? I'm looking to get my truck converted soon...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    Has anyone had the conversion done recently? Any issues? I'm looking to get my truck converted soon...
    Have you checked out All Terrain Conversions?

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    Have you checked out All Terrain Conversions?
    Just found out about them today, any good?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle View Post
    Just found out about them today, any good?

I'm looking at them both. I like the design of the ATC better than the SVM but haven't seen one in person yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nrf View Post
    I'm looking at them both. I like the design of the ATC better than the SVM but haven't seen one in person yet.
    Me too! Keep us posted and I'll do the same...

I have seen one truck from each. I thought the ATC was cleaner better, faster and more convenient. But they have had issues with delivery times, similar to when they were Gosichi. They both have issues, but in general the ATC conversion I saw was better made, door sealed tighter, no wires or insulation material at plain sight, as was the case with the SVM, at least that I was able to see.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paramoto View Post
    I have seen one truck from each. I thought the ATC was cleaner better, faster and more convenient. But they have had issues with delivery times, similar to when they were Gosichi. They both have issues, but in general the ATC conversion I saw was better made, door sealed tighter, no wires or insulation material at plain sight, as was the case with the SVM, at least that I was able to see.
    Thanks Paramoto.

The CEO of ATC is Steve Kitchin, who started GoShichi, which later became SVM. I'm not sure what happened on a corporate level w/ SVM and why Steve isn't affiliated with the company anymore, but based on the fact that each brand traces back to the same guy, I'd be more inclined to go with ATC.

http://www.atconversions.com/about/