Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel marks on laminate floor

Wheel marks on laminate floor

I have hesitated to post this because it seems so petty, but here goes. We have laminate floors and dogs (argh!!) After I vacuum, swiffer, them clean, as soon as Mike comes through wheel marks everywhere I am pretty sure that theres no fix, but hey, thought I'd ask anyway. Oh, and btw, I am not a neat freak or anything lol.... I can live with wheel marks, and dog hair too! Also, I clean the floor with a homemade solution. Water, lemon juice, alcohol and vinegar. I used to use cleaners but the residue it left would make the floors get dirty even easier.

Keep a towel at the door he can wipe his wheels with?

I think I would eliminate the lemon juice from your homemade cleaner recipe. Lemon juice is sticky and if not rinsed off of the floor could possibly leave a film that would lead to streaking, wheel marks, and rubber soled shoe marks. Try using just one ingredient and water and see which one seems to work best, alcohol or vinegar. I think I would try the 1 cup of white vinegar in a gallon of water first, since vinegar is slightly acid and my remove the film better than alcohol. Work in sections using a microfiber cloth mop. Rinse with clean water and buff the section dry with old cotton terry towels or microfiber towels. Then move on to the next section.

Do you have rugs outside the house to help remove dust from the wheelchair wheels and casters?

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

I use only vinegar and water solution and I never see my tracks on the wood floor. Try only water and vinegar and see if it eliminates the residue.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Thanks!

I just added the lemon juice thing. It sounded good. lol... You know, I don't think he has ever cleaned his wheels. Maybe once a week he can clean them. I know he does clean the casters because he has to live with me and 2 daughters (yuck hair!) I think a big part of it is because he spends a lot of time in our backyard and our dogs like to dig so there is lots of dust and dirt. Oh well, I will keep experimenting.

what kind of tires does he use?

I have the same problem with hubbys power chair, both the Invacare and the Frontier X5, I have met him at the door with a scrub brush but you just can't seem to get all of the dirt off no matter what. I have just switched to an amonia/water solution and this seems to be the best, laminiate, tile and hardwood floors.

Much of the soil here is clay gumbo and falls out of the treads in clumps as it dries.
    I end up just sweeping it up.
    I use wet swifter on the hardwood and doesn't streak. It is good for touch ups and traffic areas.

You can try installing expanded metal on the ramp leading into the house most of the dirt mud etc. will fall off into the voids BUT once a week during wet times you have to hose or sweep it so all the voids do not get plugged....MAYBE some gold will fall off and be trapped well it would be nice...

Thought of you today...came home from work to find that my hubby had been out in the yard today. I literally swept up a gallon size ice cream container full of dirt/mud off the floors and still put his chair in the shower to clean the rest off. It was nice out today so he decided to go exploring