Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand New T12 injury. . . so many questions???

Quote Originally Posted by bradevans90 View Post
    We got some great news, caitlin is getting her back brace 2maro YAAAAA!!! and hopefully tuesday we are heading to san jose for rehab at least thats the word. She is very excited and VERY nervous,she wants to know what she expect to do when she gets there, what exactly will she be working on just want to know from some people that have been thru it, Thanks Again.
    Hi Brad,

I spent a month in rehab at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center (SCVMC) this past summer, so I think I can give you a pretty accurate picture of what to expect :-)

A good portion of your wife's first day at SVMC will be spent doing various evals with each team (medical, PT, and OT). It may seem daunting, but they'll start her on therapy pretty much right away. M-F her schedule will be something like:

1 hour PT
    * The specifics will vary based on your wife's injuries, but PT will generally focus on ROM, transfers, wheelchair mobility, and walking/standing (if feasible).

1 hour OT
    * Again, the specifics vary, but my OT time was spent learning "life skills": dressing, bathing, learning how to transfer in and out of a car. The OT will also be responsible for fitting your wife for her first wheelchair. A word of advice: spend some time in the Equipment forum reading up on wheelchairs. They probably won't spend much time explaining your options, but the more you know the better. I didn't find this site until after I left rehab, so I just went with all of the OT's recommendations. Thankfully it worked out for me, but I wish I had known more at the time.

1 hour gym time
    * This is just general strength training. Take advantage of this time as all of the equipment is fully adapted for wheelchairs.

30 minutes "par course"
    * Your wife will basically just be doing laps around the halls of the rehab center in her wheelchair. This serves two purposes: general cardio and to improve wheelchair endurance. All of the paras do this at the same time, so its bit of a social activity. The PTs will join her in chairs of their own to demonstrate proper technique.

1 hour class time
    * Every Monday is a support group with former patients. TWTH they'll have classes on various topics from bowel and bladder management, accessible home modifications, etc. The classes are on a three week rotation, and optional, but they have a lot of valuable information.

These are the "constants", she'll also have other appointments throughout the day - meetings with her doctors, a psychologist, etc.

On Saturdays they go on community outings. These vary from going to the movies or the farmer's market, to athletic events (I got to go to a wheelchair tennis tournament). The group that organizes these outings will also work with your wife throughout the week.

The nursing staff generally focuses on home care skills: bowel, bladder, skin. It's important that you're involved with this to help your wife with the transition. I'm a T4 and have been fully independent for several months now, but having my wife there to help me in those early days was a huge blessing.

I know this is a pretty broad overview, but I could go on and on. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions. Also, I'm local to the area -- I'll probably be back at SCVMC for additional outpatient rehab in a few weeks. If you (or your wife), would like to talk with someone who's been through all this, I'd be happy to stop by.

I'd add a few things to my husband's (T4Gimp) comments:

1. The food at SCVMC is terrible. We brought in all of J's food from either home or nearby restaurants (there is a McDonald's, Wendy, and Subway within easy walking distance...plus a few healthier options if you're willing to drive 5-10minutes). Try to see if you can get your wife on cafeteria pass as soon as possible...then you at least have the option of rolling up to the cafeteria for better fare.

2. One of the biggest differences b/t the ICU and rehab was how they handled pain meds. IN the ICU, J was automatically given meds every 4-6 hours. At SCVMC, you have to ask...which we didn't know at first, which led to him going long periods without pain meds (not a good plan with 9 broken bones). Make sure you learn all these policies from the beginning.

3. Go to as many of your wife's PT/OT sessions and afternoon classes as possible. You'll learn invaluable information.

4. Start preparing your home for her return now...you don't want to be worried about that in 3-4 weeks.

Best of luck with the transfer and the first few days in rehab. In my experience, the first few days are the toughest, but stay strong for your wife, and encourage her, and remind her that things will get better.

Thanks so much T4gimp and acleyba you guys have been a big help, they have her transport all set up for tomorrow morning so by this time tomorrow caitlin will have had her first full day at SCVMC, ill let you guys know how it goes thanks so much for all the help everyone this site has been great

My prayers for both of you
    I believe that the people with more support has a greater chance to do well.
    I had suggested PT and OT along with the neuro's help
    Best wishes

My thoughts and prayers go with you. Support Catlin as much as you can as she will need to lean on you sometimes for comfort. You both have a journey a head of you but the journey will be made better if you do it together. I am happy you were able to find the SCVMC facility as I have heard great things. Catlin I wish you a speedy recovery!!

rehab scvmc

I too was rehabbed at scvmc, 35 years ago and the food was horrible then. You both are in a great place. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. There are very good places to eat there still after all these years. As the other posts have mentioned try to take advantage of all the activities that are available. Good Luck

Thank you so much everyone so much for the support caitlin is doing great so far she has been pretty tired but thats to be expected, thanks again for the help any advise would be great

I'm glad to hear that Caitlin is doing well so far. Tired is definitely to be expected...she's doing it wrong if she's not worn out at the end of the day

Let us know if you (or Caitlin) have any questions. All you can really do at this point is soak in all the information you can, and work with Caitlin or regaining her independence. You're at a great place for that.

PLEASE...don't let herself get hooked on pain pills..especially hydrocodone!!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

All I can say it that it is awesome that she is already being transferred to Santa Clara Valey Medical Center for rehab. I hope that she will get some good recovery from it. If she is like I was she will have a few good months feeling positive and like things are getting better. Hopefully in her case things really will be getting better. Personally I'm happy for her as much as I am jealous, because I am over a year post injury, still have not had any PT and I just learned about a week ago about SCVMC. it is the best SCI facility in northern california. SO Good luck to you, I wish her the absolute best recovery she can possibly achieve.