Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs - my chair

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    I engage the brakes on my chair once every few weeks at the most. But when I need them, I really need them. Typically when I need leverage against something while sitting the in the chair. Lifting something heavy into the car. Doing remodeling work around the house.
    Precisely.

Big smile. Actually, that's a good idea.

I'll take the "Jeff Adams" with a "Grommet" wing ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Precisely.
    Yes, and when I'm cleaning around the house I need to lock the wheels. Doing the dishes I don't like moving back and forth towards the sink, trying to hold myself in place and getting my arms wet pressing them against the sink. I steam clean in the bathroom and I need to have my hands free. I always think the guys who don't have brakes are cool, I figure they know something I don't but I use my brakes a lot. At the gym when I transfer to a bench I don't want my chair rolling away from me or into someone else.

Just realizing now how many times I use my wheel locks. I do wish I had something like Surelocks though, reaching under is a pain and why I sometimes don't use them.

Back to topic.

I just noticed that one of the reason's Jeff's chair looks so great from the back is that the axle swing arm is shorter than in previous pics.

Attachment 43460

Is this a custom "special', a revised design, or something specific to the width of the chair. If it happens to be the latter, at what width will the longer swing arm used?

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Yes, and when I'm cleaning around the house I need to lock the wheels. Doing the dishes I don't like moving back and forth towards the sink, trying to hold myself in place and getting my arms wet pressing them against the sink. I steam clean in the bathroom and I need to have my hands free. I always think the guys who don't have brakes are cool, I figure they know something I don't but I use my brakes a lot. At the gym when I transfer to a bench I don't want my chair rolling away from me or into someone else.

Just realizing now how many times I use my wheel locks. I do wish I had something like Surelocks though, reaching under is a pain and why I sometimes don't use them.
    Yeah, vacuuming is another task I can't manage without using the D's. Dishes for me, too. My house was built on sand in the 1940's, so there isn't a level floor anywhere, anymore!

Good eye, SCI_OTR! (I noticed when I met he and Christian and saw their old M1's there were a couple mods that made them much better, IMO). I would cut mine to the shortest length possible. Probably based on some specific measure of the camber tube being 'out' vs 'in'.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    narrower chair widths have shorter axle brackets
    mopping the wood floors also, gotta have brakes for that.
    Last edited by jschism; 01-15-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I do wish I had something like Surelocks though, reaching under is a pain and why I sometimes don't use them.
    I'm guessing those are TiLite's aluminum scissor locks?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    narrower chair widths have shorter axle tubes
    mopping the wood floors also, gotta have brakes for that.
    I think it's safe to infer then that Jeff has a full-time cleaning staff, personal chef, and butler. These are but a few of the perks of being a wheelchair magnate!

You mean the ones on my chair? Mine are Tilite scissor locks and as far as I know they are titanium. My back release bar is titanium, my axle tube and most of my parts. Actually I held an aluminum axle tube once and couldn't believe how much lighter it was and was tempted to use on my chair but then I thought I'd go for strength instead. Titanium is heavy!

I'm getting my Icon with scissor brakes. I don't know what they'll look like but Jeff assured me they won't be rotating and moving all over like my Tilite ones (trust me, I have them real tight and they still move).

As I understand it, the Icon is evolving. The new wider wing being an example. There could be other changes too. Exciting. Though I was with a friend last week when he spent nearly a thousand dollars on his new Ipad2 and then a week later the Ipad3 came out that's supposed to be better. The Icon being modular, something I am not aware of any other chair in history being designed as such, we can upgrade to new parts as they come. I'm not rich and not trying to be flip about it but at least it's an option and that's more than I've ever had with any other chair. Also, it's exciting for me to be part of something I believe so strongly is a game changer. The Icon is going to help people.

Mine are also short axle brackets

but I need long ones. The axles on my A1 are at minimum insertion but when I added the cant the tires narrowed at the top so to extend the axles I need the long brackets. Icon's sending me a set. The line is "minimum insertion", the dots are to be space both wheels the same distance from the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Back to topic.

I just noticed that one of the reason's Jeff's chair looks so great from the back is that the axle swing arm is shorter than in previous pics.

Attachment 43460

Is this a custom "special', a revised design, or something specific to the width of the chair. If it happens to be the latter, at what width will the longer swing arm used?