Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs - my chair

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I don't use them for transfers, generally. The CF fenders I attached to the CF side guards press into the wheel when I grab them, effectively chocking the wheel during lifts and xfers.
    thinking that's what Jeff meant about, "fender brake"
    I usually only use my brakes when eating, like stephen mentioned, sucks trying to eat when you keep rolling away from table. Otherwise the only time is I use the right one to keep chair from rolling away when transfering into my SUV, or use brakes if having someone put the complete chair in the back to keep it from rolling around while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I usually only use my brakes when eating, like stephen mentioned, sucks trying to eat when you keep rolling away from table. Otherwise the only time is I use the right one to keep chair from rolling away when transfering into my SUV, or use brakes if having someone put the complete chair in the back to keep it from rolling around while driving.

Yeah, being on wheels it's hard to ignore a lack of level ground! Sometimes, I'll hook a caster around a table leg.

I think Jeff's fender brakes were very similar to how I use mine. Iirc, he spring loaded his so they could be used for dynamic left/right deceleration as well as wheel locks, and so they'd move with the suspension.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Jeff is referring to actual fendered sideguards. The fendered part has a swivel (spring loaded?) attachment to the seat pan-anchored sideguards, which enables the user (thus far only Jeff, the best of my knowledge) to press down on the fender portion to brake the wheels. He demo'd this on YouTube for the Marvel (since removed, though you can get a glimpse of them here).

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    hmm, i'd be curious to see those

My rationale for using them is related to Newton's third law of motion...

To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction
    While I don't necessarily need them for transfers, there are times when I'm working on something and don't want to feel like Story Musgrave in space repairing the Hubble in an weightless environment. There are also times where I want my unoccupied chair to stay where it is and not roll away because of some random gust of wind or almost imperceptible grade.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    My rationale for using them is related to Newton's third law of motion...

While I don't necessarily need them for transfers, there are times when I'm working on something and don't want to feel like Story Musgrave in space repairing the Hubble in an weightless environment. There are also times where I want my unoccupied chair to stay where it is and not roll away because of some random gust of wind or almost imperceptible grade.
    Exactly. There's a reason that people wear shoes and not roller skates as their primary footwear.

I need brakes. In the laundry room the floor is slanted towards the center. Getting stuff in or out of the machines without wheel-locks is very frustrating (sometimes I try to avoid using them and it's not good). Also my produce aisle nemesis - getting up to the bananas and reaching for them as I roll away. No fun. I'll add that I live in San Francisco, famous for our hills. Getting in and out of the car I do sometimes need to leave the chair on it's own for a second and I need locks there too.

I don't know how people without them manage. I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Exactly. There's a reason that people wear shoes and not roller skates as their primary footwear.
    Apparently these people never heard of Sir Isaac...

Attachment 43459

The chair looks nice. There should be a check box on the order form for a "Jeff Adams Edition".
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

I engage the brakes on my chair once every few weeks at the most. But when I need them, I really need them. Typically when I need leverage against something while sitting the in the chair. Lifting something heavy into the car. Doing remodeling work around the house.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community