Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Icon Wheelchairs - my chair

Jeff, no locks??
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Jeff, no locks??
    Bah! Locks are for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Bah! Locks are for wimps
    I'm a wimp
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I'm a wimp
    Maybe, but you probably have never tried. I had surelocks on my chair, and had to switch wheels while travelling. Ended up with no locks and no way to put locks on my wheels. Found out I really can get along without them.

I haven't had locks on my chair for a long time. I did have some prototype fender brakes on my last chair that I'll replace on my Icon - more to keep my shirts and suits clean than anything.

@grommet - my cushion has some rubberized fabric on the bottom - and the sideguards are 1/2" narrower than the cushion, which also helps keep it in place. I don't like to use velcro, because it's hard to "rip" it off the seat, depending on what position the chair is facing.

Sticky-back velcro can be put on either the laminate or carbon seats.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Maybe, but you probably have never tried. I had surelocks on my chair, and had to switch wheels while travelling. Ended up with no locks and no way to put locks on my wheels. Found out I really can get along without them.
    I can stand, and frequently do (e.g., while shopping). But as I stand, I use the chair for support. I need it not to move while I'm standing up, or I could have a nasty fall. I also need them when I sit (flop) back down, or my chair and I go flying. When I first took delivery of my chair, it had no locks because the D's hadn't arrived yet. . . I need locks. We users have such variety

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    I haven't had locks on my chair for a long time. I did have some prototype fender brakes on my last chair that I'll replace on my Icon - more to keep my shirts and suits clean than anything.
    What are fender brakes?
    Last edited by chasmengr; 01-15-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I need locks for the same reason. Armrests too, because that's how I push myself up and steady myself. I've already found though that when I go to load the chair into my car, I forget to unlock the tires first. Then for a moment don't realize why the wheel isn't coming off! That and the easier locking already has me wanting something like Ds in the future.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I don't engage my locks for every transfer but there a certain long-distance-jump transfers where they are essential -- for safety if not execution.

Moreover, the chair needs to be stable (which doesn't mean locked in just one position) when transferring, especially if leg spasms are part of the equation. Either the locks are providing stability or your shoulders are and easing the burden on ones shoulders multiplied by thousands of transfers makes sense to me.

There are also countless other situations where chair stability is essential, at the gym for instance. If you're working on a pulley machine you want your body (and thus your chair) to be grounded. Then there are the more mundane situations like restaurant floors, which are not always level. I prefer not to be sliding away from the table while I'm eating.

I could go on. What I enjoy so much about having a locking hub setup is the mindless simplicity to lock and an unlock the chair. Being hassle free I use them constantly throughout the day. They're a major quality of life boost for me.

I use hub wheel locks on my Lasher but I took them off the GT. For me, it really depends what I'm doing. I've noticed, with my really good trunk control and left leg strength, there is no way for me to use my strength without a firm connection to the Earth. Otherwise, the chair just twists and turns freely underneath me.

I've only been SCI'd for ~6 years and I can still remember the feeling of standing, twisting and the feel of the unyielding Earth under my feet channeling my strength and power up through my body. Having hub locks with full trunk control mimics this and grants me access to more of my strength, when needed.

I don't use them for transfers, generally. The CF fenders I attached to the CF side guards press into the wheel when I grab them, effectively chocking the wheel during lifts and xfers.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.