Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Installing D's Locks

Ugh!, I used blue Loctite. I really don't even want to think about trying to get that off of 26 screws and doing it again!

About the maintenance, I got the information I posted from bike forums. I see so many views, e.g., wet, dry, teflon, silcone, none, etc.

I did not realise that you had D's IsMaisin. You have been really helpful, and I'd like to get a small group of users together to review the documentation I am putting together. Would you be up for that? IMHO, it is very needed, especially if I need to re-do 26 screws!

It would be good too see some closeups of your Icon with D's if you get the time.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    My D's have red Loctite.

For maintenance you can follow the advice for bicycle cables for cable actuated (not hydraulic) disk brakes.

For the lever, you can use anything you please - the only function is releasing tension on the cable.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

RE: "Loctite" colors - I find identifying thread-locker fluids by color confusing. LocTite blue liquid comes in a red container. VC-3 is red (I think), but is equivelent to Loctite blue in the red container . . .

"Loctite" is often used like "Kleenex." Other guys/brands make thread locker, but no industry standard exists regarding color/application.

I use Loctite brand #242 (a blue liquid or gel), which can be disassembled using standard hand tools.

Loctite makes lots and lots of products. Here are three of their consumer thread lockers:

Attachment 49640

Attachment 49641

Attachment 49642
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Q2: they look good to me.

Q5: I used a short piece of plastic tubing.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I find the colors confusing also. I had a hard time finding Loctite #242 so I used Loctite #243, which is also medium strength (blue) and "tolerates minor surface contaminations from various oils". I think it's mostly marketed toward automotive use.

I just looked into thread lockers more. The "colors" system seems to be used by most brands of anaerobic thread lockers, which are typically methacrylate-based, and cure anaerobically, which means that they fix in the absence of air. Here is a link on Wikipedia.

Here is a good overview of Loctite® by the Colors, with an overview of the different products in each color:
    Loctite Red - High Strength Permanent Threadlockers
    Loctite Blue - Medium Strength Removable Threadlockers
    Loctite Purple - Low Strength Small Thread Threadlockers
    Loctite Green - Pre-Assembled Wicking Threadlockers

Vibra-TITE® VC-3 is similar to Loctitie #242 (blue) for strength, but the actual liquid is red. It is an acrylic polymer -- not an anaerobic thread locker and it is not an adhesive. Here is a link to the tech sheet. The difference is that it can be applied on parts that are stored before use and can be adjusted, removed, and reused up to 5 times. TiLite uses it on screws for casters, backrests, footrests, etc.

I will ask Steve about what his recommendations are. Given that many people installing D's Locks may not have good hand dexterity, I may also ask him about using something like Vibra-TITE VC-3. That would avoid all of this confusion (and a lot of work).

IsMaisin, If you really used "red" #271, I hope you never need to get those screws out, because that is going to be a bear of a job.
    Last edited by elarson; 04-30-2013 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added links
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ling-D-s-Locks - in post #6 of this thread DaleB shows a photo of one of his Lasher chairs with D's Locks installed mated to a Spinergy LX wheel.

Is there anyone here who has Round Betty wheels fitted with D's Locks? Are the locking hub parts identical for the Spinergy LX's and the Round Betty Dino's? Anyone with the V2's? They are nice looking wheels and I'm about to bite the bullet on them but want to know if I can use my pre-existing LX hardware on them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6l81rug99o...inoV2.JPG?dl=0
    ..certainly look the same, maybe a little longer screws to accommodate the thicker spokes.

I've already bothered Eric at Round Betty too much and Steve at D's is no longer responding to my emails (likely prefers that I purchase an entire set instead of just the locking discs)
    Last edited by tooley; 06-04-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: tried to add photo

I don't have any info on the Round Betty's, but I have purchased extra locking discs in the past for my spare set of LX wheels with knobby's. So you should be able to do that at least. Not sure if you use instagram, but HOC is usually good about responding to dm's on instagram.

Blog Entries
    Looking at my locking rings, the grooves for the spokes on the LX wheels are just barely big enough for the spokes to fit in them. The Round Betty spokes look much bigger around. I'd be surprised if they'd fit, assuming the spoke patterns are the same, which I kind of doubt, too.
    Last edited by Oddity; 06-04-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Words are hard
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ling-D-s-Locks - in post #6 of this thread DaleB shows a photo of one of his Lasher chairs with D's Locks installed mated to a Spinergy LX wheel.

Is there anyone here who has Round Betty wheels fitted with D's Locks? Are the locking hub parts identical for the Spinergy LX's and the Round Betty Dino's? Anyone with the V2's? They are nice looking wheels and I'm about to bite the bullet on them but want to know if I can use my pre-existing LX hardware on them.
    I no longer use locking hubs but I found a few pics on my hard drive of the Surelocks discs I had made specifically for the Round Betty Dinos. For those unfamiliar with Round Betty Dinos, they use hollow aluminum spokes. The locking discs are secured to the hub with the 6 screws shown which insert into the hollow opening of the spokes. This design -- my brainchild -- replaced the need for a second inside-the-hub disc to secure it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Blog Entries
    Brilliant
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments