Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Installing D's Locks

I'm T5 (which I don't think is really any different than T4), and haven't used brakes for 20 years or so. Nobody I knew in a chair in California used them due to having to adjust them every day (if you were active outdoors, played sports, etc). I can do the chores mentioned in this thread pretty well, but now that I'm getting a little older, I should start looking into the newer style. Bones break easier at 50 than at 25, SCI or not.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Riding the bus, subway, or other mass transit trains, are always occasions for locking my chair.

I`m a L1 and i can do transfers without brakes and all that things you have said, but i don`t want a wheelchair without brakes, brakes make somethings easier.

Great point, it's a whole different ballgame for you big city dwellers.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Riding the bus, subway, or other mass transit trains, are always occasions for locking my chair.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Don't forget taxis. I rode in an accessible cab for the first time yesterday and even with the Q-straints, it would have been terrifying without wheel locks.

I know a horror story from a friend when she was still a teenager. She was on a shuttle bus after a flight and the driver was in a hurry and didn't lock her in... Or maybe it didn't have the restraint system? Anyway to make matters worse the driver drove like a maniac and she flipped over backwards. Then the driver didn't bother to stop, so the other passengers had to get the wheelchair back up for her and then hold it upright for the rest of the drive. When they got to the destination, the entire group of passengers waited to complain and the driver was fired on the spot with another one sent to retrieve the shuttle.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee sometime (my work this year may take me to NYC), I am very curious as to how much difference there is between a T4 and a T7 (I was evaluated in rehab as functioning as a T7 even though my injury is technically a T8). I had pretty much thought we were the same but some of the things you have said makes me think different (mainly the "why I can't use an icon" explanation). That being said, I am very much a knucklehead and if I can get by without brakes, even if it is harder and I end up on my ass occasionally I will, for no other reason than simply because I can.
    Come on down!

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    D's come with two components that are specific to your chair:
    1. axle adapter - this is a ring that is snugged around the end of your existing axle
    2. locking ring - this is a flat plate with multiple holes in it that attaches to your wheel hub

And components that are common to all D's installations:
    1. pistons that extend into a hole in the locking ring
    2. cable/lever that operates both pistons and can be mounted anywhere on the chair

They do not come with their own axles.

Here are some pictures of D's on my chair, a Top End Terminator Titanium: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenc...7600381866495/
    Wow, those are great pictures. I really wish I could get some D's Locks. Can't afford them right now. Buying a new Icon and all my money is going to that. My Tilite scissor brakes on my TR drive me nuts. They make things so much harder. All day I am reaching for them and it hurts and often enough I won't use them when I need them because it's too much trouble.

I do keep wondering how heavy D'Locks are. I mean in comparison to the scissor lock brakes. I figure they might be even in weight considering the mounting brackets and such. Won't find out for a while. This is the toughest year for money. Heck, I need to get glasses and I can't afford those.

Thanks for the pictures and the information, really helped me undestand D's Locks for the first time. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I`m a L1 and i can do transfers without brakes and all that things you have said, but i don`t want a wheelchair without brakes, brakes make somethings easier.
    Copy that --- I throw the w/c in the back of my suv; without brakes, it would be flying all over the truck. Also, a well tuned chair will drift away with .0001 grade if ur sitting on the floor doing something else... Like the 'D's

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Wheel View Post
    Copy that --- I throw the w/c in the back of my suv; without brakes, it would be flying all over the truck. Also, a well tuned chair will drift away with .0001 grade if ur sitting on the floor doing something else... Like the 'D's
    Yes they will. The slightest grade and it becomes a ghost chair, moving all on it's own and so silently you don't realize it's leaving you. I use my wheel locks constantly and they help a lot but the ones I have are terrible to use and add to making my day suck. Surelocks or D's Locks one day should be a great improvement or if I find the money (total fantasy) the ADI actual braking system. That is very cool.