Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Installing D's Locks

I have also heard extremely good things about the adaptive sports folk. Check sdasf.org for info.

For D's locks, check dslocks.net. They are in El Cajon and I think very friendly.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by CurvySAT05 View Post
    Jim,
    Steve, the owner of D's Locks lives in the San Diego area (inland) and is more than happy to install brakes out of his shop. I can PM you his information if you want it and get the two of you in contact. I have had my D's locks for over a year now and LOVE them!!! I would NEVER go back to conventional locks since they put so much strain on the wrists to lock them when the tires are properly inflated. I have issues with my hands/wrists so it is nice to just be able to flip the lock lever and have BOTH wheels locked at once. I also have Natural Fit handrims on my wheelchair which helps with hand/wrist strain as well.
    I am also in So Cal, about 2 hours north of SD. If you haven't heard of the San Diego Adaptive Sports Foundation you should check it out. If you are interested in playing wheelchair sports I'm sure they can get you hooked up. They have a competitive basketball team and a soccer team. I am a counselor at their Jr. Wheelchair Sports Camp every summer and really enjoy their programs for kids and adults in chairs. If I lived closer to SD (I hope to one day) I would be a LOT more actively involved with their programs.
    Mandy
    Hmmm you've got me interested. The other day my roommate remarked that he thought I was having a hard time with the locks on my chair. The demo chair probably didn't have the tires fully aired up, because they are much harder for me to get now. Especially with my left hand. Maybe I'll get something like D's or surelocks on my next chair (quite a ways away of course, but never too soon to windowshop!)
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I wonder if you buy a set of this kind of wheel locks, for example for Spinergys wheels, and after you buy a wheelchair with Dinos; you have to buy a entire new set? or you just have to buy new wheels disc for Dinos?

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    I wonder if you buy a set of this kind of wheel locks, for example for Spinergys wheels, and after you buy a wheelchair with Dinos; you have to buy a entire new set? or you just have to buy new wheels disc for Dinos?
    My understanding is you'd just have to buy new wheel discs if the chairs' axle-mount configurations are identical.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You have to buy new disks and they aren't cheap. I have surelocks and both dino's and spinergy wheels. I would have had to spend 220 dollars to get an extra set of disks for the second set of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You have to buy new disks and they aren't cheap. I have surelocks and both dino's and spinergy wheels. I would have had to spend 220 dollars to get an extra set of disks for the second set of wheels.
    Whoa! That's a little high! D's are about half that cost, but still a lot for what they are.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I think is to much money for just brakes,

I think is to much money for just brakes,
    Yeah, it was quite a bit. I also never heard back from him when I asked a followup question so now my surelocks are sitting in a box.

Yeah, it was quite a bit. I also never heard back from him when I asked a followup question so now my surelocks are sitting in a box.
    Sorry to hear that. But if you're managing fine without brakes, more power to you. I would if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But if you're managing fine without brakes, more power to you. I would if I could.
    I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee sometime (my work this year may take me to NYC), I am very curious as to how much difference there is between a T4 and a T7 (I was evaluated in rehab as functioning as a T7 even though my injury is technically a T8). I had pretty much thought we were the same but some of the things you have said makes me think different (mainly the "why I can't use an icon" explanation). That being said, I am very much a knucklehead and if I can get by without brakes, even if it is harder and I end up on my ass occasionally I will, for no other reason than simply because I can.