Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Installing D's Locks

Installing D's Locks

Hey,
    Anyone ever installed D's on thier chair? How do they attach to the hub or axle? Do they come with thier own axles? I am in the process of getting a new chair, TiLite Tr, and I would like to put a set of D's on it. I am looking at puting titanium axles on it, but if D's come with a different axle set up I wont pay for the titanium axles. I have had my Quickie GP for about 15 years now and I have replaced everything but the frame many times.

D's come with two components that are specific to your chair:
    1. axle adapter - this is a ring that is snugged around the end of your existing axle
    2. locking ring - this is a flat plate with multiple holes in it that attaches to your wheel hub

And components that are common to all D's installations:
    1. pistons that extend into a hole in the locking ring
    2. cable/lever that operates both pistons and can be mounted anywhere on the chair

They do not come with their own axles.

Here are some pictures of D's on my chair, a Top End Terminator Titanium: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenc...7600381866495/
    Last edited by Katja; 01-14-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Katja,
    Thanks for the information and pics. Most helpful.

The picture on the website is actually quite good; it's just hard to visualize them until you've seen them, if you know what I mean: http://www.dslocks.net/design.htm

Also, I think D's are the greatest thing since paper napkins...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim of socal View Post
    Hey,
    Anyone ever installed D's on thier chair? How do they attach to the hub or axle? Do they come with thier own axles? I am in the process of getting a new chair, TiLite Tr, and I would like to put a set of D's on it. I am looking at puting titanium axles on it, but if D's come with a different axle set up I wont pay for the titanium axles. I have had my Quickie GP for about 15 years now and I have replaced everything but the frame many times.
    I have the Surelock locking hub on my ZR2 (as I did on my ZR1) and they fabricated an OEM-style camber clamp that replaces the original. Not sure if they offer something similar for the TR, but if it were me I'd ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I have the Surelock locking hub on my ZR2 (as I did on my ZR1) and they fabricated an OEM-style camber clamp that replaces the original. Not sure if they offer something similar for the TR, but if it were me I'd ask.

I love that bracket. My next chair may well be a TiLite just so I can use Surelocks with that adapter. I think I like it better than my D's welded one:

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I love that bracket. My next chair may well be a TiLite just so I can use Surelocks with that adapter. I think I like it better than my D's welded one:
    I would like better a Surelock welded one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I love that bracket. My next chair may well be a TiLite just so I can use Surelocks with that adapter. I think I like it better than my D's welded one.
    My suggestion to Surelock to design an integrated clamp came after seeing a pic of Lasher's welded mount for the D's.

What goes around. . . .

Jim,
    Steve, the owner of D's Locks lives in the San Diego area (inland) and is more than happy to install brakes out of his shop. I can PM you his information if you want it and get the two of you in contact. I have had my D's locks for over a year now and LOVE them!!! I would NEVER go back to conventional locks since they put so much strain on the wrists to lock them when the tires are properly inflated. I have issues with my hands/wrists so it is nice to just be able to flip the lock lever and have BOTH wheels locked at once. I also have Natural Fit handrims on my wheelchair which helps with hand/wrist strain as well.
    I am also in So Cal, about 2 hours north of SD. If you haven't heard of the San Diego Adaptive Sports Foundation you should check it out. If you are interested in playing wheelchair sports I'm sure they can get you hooked up. They have a competitive basketball team and a soccer team. I am a counselor at their Jr. Wheelchair Sports Camp every summer and really enjoy their programs for kids and adults in chairs. If I lived closer to SD (I hope to one day) I would be a LOT more actively involved with their programs.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Thanks All.
    I appreciate all of the info.