Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Installing D's Locks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Installing D's Locks

Hey,
    Anyone ever installed D's on thier chair? How do they attach to the hub or axle? Do they come with thier own axles? I am in the process of getting a new chair, TiLite Tr, and I would like to put a set of D's on it. I am looking at puting titanium axles on it, but if D's come with a different axle set up I wont pay for the titanium axles. I have had my Quickie GP for about 15 years now and I have replaced everything but the frame many times.

D's come with two components that are specific to your chair:
    1. axle adapter - this is a ring that is snugged around the end of your existing axle
    2. locking ring - this is a flat plate with multiple holes in it that attaches to your wheel hub

And components that are common to all D's installations:
    1. pistons that extend into a hole in the locking ring
    2. cable/lever that operates both pistons and can be mounted anywhere on the chair

They do not come with their own axles.

Here are some pictures of D's on my chair, a Top End Terminator Titanium: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenc...7600381866495/
    Last edited by Katja; 01-14-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    D's come with two components that are specific to your chair:
    1. axle adapter - this is a ring that is snugged around the end of your existing axle
    2. locking ring - this is a flat plate with multiple holes in it that attaches to your wheel hub

And components that are common to all D's installations:
    1. pistons that extend into a hole in the locking ring
    2. cable/lever that operates both pistons and can be mounted anywhere on the chair

They do not come with their own axles.

Here are some pictures of D's on my chair, a Top End Terminator Titanium: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenc...7600381866495/
    Wow, those are great pictures. I really wish I could get some D's Locks. Can't afford them right now. Buying a new Icon and all my money is going to that. My Tilite scissor brakes on my TR drive me nuts. They make things so much harder. All day I am reaching for them and it hurts and often enough I won't use them when I need them because it's too much trouble.

I do keep wondering how heavy D'Locks are. I mean in comparison to the scissor lock brakes. I figure they might be even in weight considering the mounting brackets and such. Won't find out for a while. This is the toughest year for money. Heck, I need to get glasses and I can't afford those.

Thanks for the pictures and the information, really helped me undestand D's Locks for the first time. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Thanks for the pictures and the information, really helped me undestand D's Locks for the first time. :-)
    I'm glad they were helpful! Hub locks are hard to understand without seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I'm glad they were helpful! Hub locks are hard to understand without seeing them.
    CC is great, we can really help each other out with information. I'm envious of anyone with D'Locks or Surelocks or an ADI system. I'm becoming so frustrated with my brakes. But I will have my new Icon soon and maybe, though I ordered the scissor brakes, they'll work better than the Tilite stuff I've got. Of course it could just be that scissors are a good hide-away design but a poorer solution for wheel locks so, I'll still need to find a way to get something better.

Sigh. Oh money where art though? I've been saying it for years - if you're going to be disabled you better be rich ;-)

Seriously though, I will eventually get all the right stuff and I will enjoy every day that it makes me life better. I'll do it :-)

Katja,
    Thanks for the information and pics. Most helpful.

The picture on the website is actually quite good; it's just hard to visualize them until you've seen them, if you know what I mean: http://www.dslocks.net/design.htm

Also, I think D's are the greatest thing since paper napkins...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim of socal View Post
    Hey,
    Anyone ever installed D's on thier chair? How do they attach to the hub or axle? Do they come with thier own axles? I am in the process of getting a new chair, TiLite Tr, and I would like to put a set of D's on it. I am looking at puting titanium axles on it, but if D's come with a different axle set up I wont pay for the titanium axles. I have had my Quickie GP for about 15 years now and I have replaced everything but the frame many times.
    I have the Surelock locking hub on my ZR2 (as I did on my ZR1) and they fabricated an OEM-style camber clamp that replaces the original. Not sure if they offer something similar for the TR, but if it were me I'd ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I have the Surelock locking hub on my ZR2 (as I did on my ZR1) and they fabricated an OEM-style camber clamp that replaces the original. Not sure if they offer something similar for the TR, but if it were me I'd ask.

I love that bracket. My next chair may well be a TiLite just so I can use Surelocks with that adapter. I think I like it better than my D's welded one:

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I love that bracket. My next chair may well be a TiLite just so I can use Surelocks with that adapter. I think I like it better than my D's welded one:
    I would like better a Surelock welded one.