Thread: Can brain injury cause this?

Can brain injury cause this?

Hey there everyone

my son was injuried at work recently,he works at a farm and was kicked in the face by a cow.He went to the ER where they did a cat scan and told him that he did not have a concusstion (sp?) and that he just had some contussions and bruising to his face.

Couple of days later he notices that he has started talking to himself without realizing it.His lips will move but no sound will come out but he can hear the conversation in his head. When he realizes that he is doing it he will stop but as soon as he is doing something at work it will start again.He also noticed that he will feel like he is in a trance when this happens.

He does not know if this is caused by the injury or not but I think it is because he is only 22 yrs old and it popped up a couple of days after the injury and is happening more often now.He was injuried the week of Christmas.

Has anyone heard of this happening and does it go away over time?

Thank you

Rhonda
    Last edited by gamermom68; 01-14-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: correct something

Your son needs to be seen by a neurologist NOW. Please don't delay. Brain injury is commonly under-diagnosed in a scenario like you describe. May people can sustain a fairly significant brain injury and still have a negative CT scan.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by gamermom68 View Post
    Hey there everyone

my son was injuried at work recently,he works at a farm and was kicked in the face by a cow.He went to the ER where they did a cat scan and told him that he did not have a concusstion (sp?) and that he just had some contussions and bruising to his face.

Couple of days later he notices that he has started talking to himself without realizing it.His lips will move but no sound will come out but he can hear the conversation in his head. When he realizes that he is doing it he will stop but as soon as he is doing something at work it will start again.He also noticed that he will feel like he is in a trance when this happens.

He does not know if this is caused by the injury or not but I think it is because he is only 22 yrs old and it popped up a couple of days after the injury and is happening more often now.He was injuried the week of Christmas.

Has anyone heard of this happening and does it go away over time?

Thank you

Rhonda
    Rhonda,

Your son needs to be evaluated by a neurologist to rule out epileptic seizures. There are several kinds of seizures. The one that most people think of are called gran mal or motor seizures where they will show convulsions and lose consciousness. However, people also get smaller seizures called petit mal that may just cause a transient trance-like condition, sometimes associated with lip and facial movements. It is important to know if he has such a condition because there are drugs that can control it and you need to make sure that he is not driving a car or farm machinery.

Wise.

If it's getting increasing closer and closer together (his incidents) I wouldn't even wait, take him to the ER, there will be a neuro on call. Something similar happened to me, initial x-rays saw nothing they sent me home, with a shattered clavical no doubt (long story). I couldn't remember anything, I forgot things, turns out after I saw a neuro the trauma to my head caused amnesia. You can't fool around with the head getting knocked around. I hope it is nothing and everything will be ok.