Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle accidents and traumatic brain injury

Motorcycle accidents and traumatic brain injury

Here are some interesting statistics concerning motorcycles and head injury nationally and in West Virginia. Interestingly, West Virginia has the highest fatality rate from automobile accidents of any state in the Union (5.6 per 100,000 compared to nationally 0.74 per 100,000). Better wear your helmets and seatbelts when driving in West Virginia.

http://www.ced.wvu.edu/Programs/Comm...isci/index.htm

National Statistics

* During 1996, 212 young motorcycle drivers (15-20 years old) were killed and additional 7,000 were injured.
    * In 1996, 51% of the motorcycle drivers between the ages of 15 to 20 who were fatally injured in crashes were not wearing helmets.
    * The National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration estimates that helmets saved the lives of 490 motorcyclists of all ages in 1996, and that if all motorcyclists had worn helmets, an additional 279 lives could have been saved.
    * Helmets are estimated to be 29% effective in preventing fatal injuries to motorcyclists.
    * A recent NHTSA study showed that motorcycle helmets are 67% effective in preventing brain injuries.
    * Among riders involved in crashes, those who do not wear helmets are 40% more likely to sustain a fatal brain injury.
    * In 1993, helmet use in the states with all-rider helmet laws resulted in 515 lives saved, 2,035 moderate to serious injuries prevented and more than $513 million saved.
    * A single brain-injured motorcyclist can cost a state more than $2 million over a lifetime.
    * Fatalities from brain injuries are twice as high in states with weak or no motorcycle helmet laws in comparison to states enforcing helmet laws.
    (Obtained from the National Brain Injury Association)
    * Every bicycle helmet saves this country $395 in direct health care costs and other costs to society.
    * If 85% of all child cyclists wore bicycle helmets for one year, the savings in medical costs would be between $109 million and $142 million.
    * A person who survives a head injury typically needs 5 to 10 years of intensive rehabilitation services. The estimated lifetime cost of these services may exceed $4 million per injured person.
    (Obtained from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control)

Motorcycles and Traumatic Brain Injury?

Hmmmmmmmmm????!!!??? Is this a "No Brainer"? LOLOL

"And so it begins."

A few days ago I saw a bareheaded girl in shorts on the back of a bike that was weaving through and just cringed. I don't know if it is the mother in me or the memory of all of the TBI on the other floor at rehab or just getting old.
    There is a fine line between not living your life to the fullest and being too afraid to do anything.
    It just makes sense to cut down risks when possible even when doing things you enjoy.

Life's funny, around here the guy with the "Helmet Laws Suck" decal on his brain-bucket is the guy that walks away from a crumpled up mass of death machine.

It's fate. The people that can handle this life are just destined to be gimps, whether it be motorcycle or apple tree. Some people break their necks falling out of bed. Other people walk away from sky-diving accidents.

It is really quirky Tooley, I won't argue that. Fate-I'm not so sure of.
    Dave rode dirt bikes when he was younger, was in a helicopter crash while in Special Forces and took a slap shot to the eye as a kid because they did not use good helmets then in hockey. In later years he has problems with the eye.
    He is mad at himself for not wearing a safety harness while climbing the tree. He had one in his truck that he used each day for work.
    My belief is that these things are ramdom accidents.
    I wear a seat belt because I've been to 4 funeral of people that were tossed from card during roll overs.
    Someone told us since Dave was an "itty bitty baby" God knew he would fall from that tree. That is BS in my eyes. It was an accident.
    Still, like you, we strive to make the best of what life has tossed our way.

never wear seat belts that why i'm in this chair but if i did that day i wouldn't be here the impact pushed the dash into the seat so hard it broke the front seat bolts so i would have been cut in half. still don't wear them but thats so i can give myself pressure release when i'm driving.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

I didn't have a helmet on when I had my accident, ended up with what they called a #4 concussion. Lucky that I lived!

My husband got his spinal cord injury from a motorcycle...and a brain injury. He was told if he was wearing his helmet he would not have survived....it would have crushed his skull...do not know if that is true or not...but I am willing to bet that helmets save more lives than distroy them.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by duge View Post
    I didn't have a helmet on when I had my accident, ended up with what they called a #4 concussion. Lucky that I lived!
    Oy, you had a GCS (Glasgow Coma Scale) classification of 4? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Coma_Scale

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Life's funny, around here the guy with the "Helmet Laws Suck" decal on his brain-bucket is the guy that walks away from a crumpled up mass of death machine.

It's fate. The people that can handle this life are just destined to be gimps, whether it be motorcycle or apple tree. Some people break their necks falling out of bed. Other people walk away from sky-diving accidents.
    Or that guy gets killed in a motorcycle helmet law protest ride: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s..._motorcyc.html

When my brother had his TBI (roller blading without a helmet) the vast majority of the head injuries in the neuro ICU with him were due to riding without a helmet.

I don't believe it's fate.