Thread: Tips on what I need to do after getting a Suprapubic cath

Tips on what I need to do after getting a Suprapubic cath

Hi guys I was having such frequent Uti's & ending up in the hospital that me & my Dr had decide that the Suprapubic catheter would be a great option for me. I had it done on Mon. January 9th & I was wondering exactly what I should be doing as far as after care. How often should I clean around the area? Should I wash it w/ soap & water or should I only use warm water? How often should I change the dressing? How long after surgery do I eventually not have to have the gauze there? I also noticed people saying that they use between a 18-24fr catheter my Dr used a 16fr on my sp is this something I should talk to him about or just wait & see how things go? My body is driving me crazy i'm pretty tight & spastic since my surgery. I'm thinking its my bodies way of reacting from going through the surgery i really hope it stops soon. Same goes for the pain/uncomfortableness I have from the surgery. If you can think of anything else that may help I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much

Hi Niesekay I am not able to anwser any of your questions. I am scheduled to have the Suprapubic cath done on January 18 so I guess I will find out more then. Your doctor should have given you al that information, at least I hope my doctor will. Take care and hope the pain/uncomfortableness go away soon. I will let you know more after mine is done.

Banned
    Hey Niesekay,
    I have had my SP tube for almost a year so I will try to answer to your questions as best as possible. As for aftercare, you should clean it at least twice a day with soap and water, especially right after surgery, because you are going to be dealing with a fresh SP site. Over time, your site will heal and you will no longer need to use gauze on a regular basis, but continue to clean it twice a day with soap and water.
    It is also recommended that you get to your SP tube changed every four weeks.
    As for catheter size, I am currently using a 16 fr. Before my surgery I read the same information about people using a larger catheter. So I asked my doctor about it right after surgery, and he said, that is only necessary if you are having issues with drainage (i.e. stones and sediment). In other words, drink plenty of water.
    After my initial surgery my spasticity went through the roof for the first couple months and then slowly started to come back to normal, but I still have more belly spasms that I used to.
    I hope this helps.

Great information from "QuadBelly". Basically, took all of my points.

The belly spasms are from the irritation of the bladder from the catheter. For some people, they decrease over time and for others, they are a constant reminder that there is something foreign in there. For this reason, some people end up on medication to decrease the bladder spasms, but that is usually an individual preference.

The overwhelming majority of people are happy with the SP tube. Hope that you are one of them!

CKF

. Your doctor should have given you al that information, at least I hope my doctor will. Take care and hope the pain/uncomfortableness go away soon. I will let you know more after mine is done.[/QUOTE]

I had received a bunch of papers the day of my surgery but I didn't have time to look through them so I left them w/ my dad. Well I'm not sure what happened but he lost them somewhere.

Hello "Niesekay,"
    Welcome the Care Cure Community.

I would add to the good advice given here that you may begin to experience cloudy urine that may have some odor to it. Chances are you won't have symptoms of a bladder infection, but it will look like it. Even though you keep the stoma clean, clean the leg bag and overnight drain bag or bottle, bacteria will be introduced into the bladder. These bacteria will multiply and grow in the bladder. Having bacteria present but not causing symptoms is common with supra pubic catheters. This is generally referred to as bladder colonization. Make sure you are drinking at least 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 liters of water a day.

If you prefer to eradicate as much bacteria as possible and have the urine remain clear and with no odor, you can use a product called Vetericyn or Microcyn or Puracyn, instilled and held in the bladder for 20-40 minutes. You can read more here:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...yn+open+letter
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...yn+open+letter
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ericyn+summary

You should secure the catheter to you belly or leg with tape or a catheter holder of some type to help prevent the catheter from "pistoning" (moving into and back out of the stoma). This movement can cause irritation at the stoma, inside the bladder, and introduce bacteria.

You will be seeing your doctor in 4-6 weeks for your first change of the catheter. At this time the doctor, nurse, or medical tech can teach you or someone who will be changing the catheter for you how to change the catheter every month (4 weeks). Pay attention to the type of catheter and other supplies (lubricant, stoma antiseptic,slip tip syringe, etc) or kit that is used and get a prescription from your doctor so that you can purchase these supplies or kits to have on hand for your monthly change or in case the catheter has to be changed because it stops flowing. Insurance or medicare usually pay for the catheters or kits. Also get a prescription from your doctor for leg bags and overnight drain bags or bottles. You can order these from the same supplier of the catheters and they are often covered by insurance plans. It is a good idea to have a few extra bags around in case of leaks.

If you are not taking medication for bladder spasms ask your doctor about anticholinergic or antispasmodic medications like oxybutynin. These medications may help with the discomfort your are experiencing. It will be trial and error how much you need to take, but your doctor can start you on a dose that my help and that dose can be adjusted and refined as time goes on.

Try to find the paperwork given to you by your doctor (or call his office and have a new set sent to you) and read it. Supra pubic catheters need to be cared for and maintained properly and that information given to you by your doctor may save to a lot of grief in the future.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.