Thread: Shoes for Spina Bifida feet

Shoes for Spina Bifida feet

Hi,

I know this might not be the best forum to ask this advise, but if there are any other Spina Bifida people or anyone with clubbed feet, then I need your help.

I want to know what kind of shoes you all wear. I have the hardest time finding the kind of shoes in which I can jam my feet in. Earlier I used to wear the casual sandals that you see children wear, but after a while, finding a pair big enough for me and the one that doesn't have any cartoon character or other kiddish stuff stuck on it, has become a chore.

Can you guys suggest any type of shoes that can be worn by people with clubbed feet. My feet size is quite small, as you must have guessed by now, considering I can still wear children size.

Hope anyone can help!

My feet are short, wide and I have a very high instep. This combination makes it difficult to get a good fit in even a custom shoe. I wear basketball high tops. The last pair I purchased were white Converse Chuck Taylors with a canvas and leather upper.

I love beautiful shoes. It is still hard to accept that I will never wear them.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    My feet are short, wide and I have a very high instep. This combination makes it difficult to get a good fit in even a custom shoe. I wear basketball high tops. The last pair I purchased were white Converse Chuck Taylors with a canvas and leather upper.

I love beautiful shoes. It is still hard to accept that I will never wear them.
    I also have similar feet. And I have never owned a good pair of shoes in my life I also love those beautiful shoes I see in the mall and want to buy them all. But sadly, my mom won't let me display them in the living room cupboard and I don't seem to have any other use for them

Try New Balance, I have SB and Club foot, so my feet are short and thick and New Balance have been the best shoes I have every owned

I guess I am lucky. I can wear any brand shoe if it is at least a 6 Wide Width (in boys' shoes) to fit my SMO braces (ankle height) to support my ankles (I had my right ankle surgically fused when I was 6 or 7 so I could actually WEAR shoes). I have worn Puma, Nike, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pensfan87 View Post
    Try New Balance, I have SB and Club foot, so my feet are short and thick and New Balance have been the best shoes I have every owned
    Yes! I believe they offer a EEEE.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaBold9780 View Post
    I guess I am lucky. I can wear any brand shoe if it is at least a 6 Wide Width (in boys' shoes) to fit my SMO braces (ankle height) to support my ankles (I had my right ankle surgically fused when I was 6 or 7 so I could actually WEAR shoes). I have worn Puma, Nike, etc.
    Small world . . . had my right ankle surgically fused at 13 so I could lose the leather and steel short-leg brace and the Frankenstein's Monster shoe that went with it.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I have Spina Bifida and i just wear run of the mill running shoes, just get them a size larger to accomodate swelling, and I also wear compression stockings.

I get Dr scholes wide shoes, I have small wide feet with an arch, and narrow heel, but also wear braces. smaller sizes are hard to find. they have elastic or velcro across the top so don't pinch.

I have gotten boys high top hiking boots that I saw on clearance, for 2.50 a pair, I got three pairs of size 5 and wore them out over 12 years.

I don't have a problem finding shoes that fit, but am limited in the types of shoes I can wear since they have to hide my ankle braces and orthotics. So I'm with you guys, I really wish I could wear cute shoes!!! Especially ballet flats.

Now that I've got my wheelchair, I wonder if I can try that. Get some cute shoes, actually wear a dress, and go without the braces and orthotics since I'll be in the chair.

I have high arches too. Most of my shoes are sketchers, retro type styles where they're very flat. They fit well and since I buy the same style (but different colors/materials within that style) and brand sizing is consistent so I can get my shoes off ebay for super cheap.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.