Thread: Rick Hansen still makes a difference

Rick Hansen still makes a difference

Special to The Chronicle-Journal
    Monday, January 9, 2012 - 08:00

For more than two decades, the Man in Motion, Rick Hansen, has been inspiring a nation to make a difference.
    Twenty-five years after his historic relay around the world, difference-makers from across Canada are stepping up and retracing his route across the country, and helping to raise awareness about the challenges facing people living with disabilities and raising money for spinal cord injury research.
    On Sunday, the Many in Motion Relay passed through Thunder Bay, kicking off the second half of the nine-month relay across Canada. Twenty-one local medal-bearers participated in the relay, which started at the Terry Fox Monument.

Andrea Cole was selected to carry the Rick Hansen Medal during the event.
    A three-time Paralympian, Cole is coach of the Special Olympics swim team, the Killer Whales, and is pursuing her master’s of education at Lakehead University.
    Cole said that when she learned she would be the final medal-bearer, she didn’t believe it.
    “When I was young I never expected to be an athlete,” Cole said. “So it’s a pretty big deal for me to be here.
    “I’ve become an athlete and I always thought someone else would be chosen. I’ve just been so lucky to come back to Thunder Bay and give back.”
    More than 7,000 people are participating in the Many in Motion Relay which began on Aug. 24 in Cape Spear, N.L.
    It will take nine months to travel more than 5000 kilometres, ending in Vancouver on May. 22.
    “People are really responding to the idea of moving from a Man in Motion to Many in Motion relay,” said Jamie Levchuk, managing director of the Rick Hansen Relay.
    “This idea that it’s not Rick dong the relay this time, it is 7,000 Canadians, 7,000 difference-makers who are the local champions who are showing the same values Rick did 25 years ago.”

more...

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cont...kes-difference

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post

Special to The Chronicle-Journal
    Monday, January 9, 2012 - 08:00

For more than two decades, the Man in Motion, Rick Hansen, has been inspiring a nation to make a difference.
    Twenty-five years after his historic relay around the world, difference-makers from across Canada are stepping up and retracing his route across the country, and helping to raise awareness about the challenges facing people living with disabilities and raising money for spinal cord injury research.
    On Sunday, the Many in Motion Relay passed through Thunder Bay, kicking off the second half of the nine-month relay across Canada. Twenty-one local medal-bearers participated in the relay, which started at the Terry Fox Monument.

Andrea Cole was selected to carry the Rick Hansen Medal during the event.
    A three-time Paralympian, Cole is coach of the Special Olympics swim team, the Killer Whales, and is pursuing her master’s of education at Lakehead University.
    Cole said that when she learned she would be the final medal-bearer, she didn’t believe it.
    “When I was young I never expected to be an athlete,” Cole said. “So it’s a pretty big deal for me to be here.
    “I’ve become an athlete and I always thought someone else would be chosen. I’ve just been so lucky to come back to Thunder Bay and give back.”
    More than 7,000 people are participating in the Many in Motion Relay which began on Aug. 24 in Cape Spear, N.L.
    It will take nine months to travel more than 5000 kilometres, ending in Vancouver on May. 22.
    “People are really responding to the idea of moving from a Man in Motion to Many in Motion relay,” said Jamie Levchuk, managing director of the Rick Hansen Relay.
    “This idea that it’s not Rick dong the relay this time, it is 7,000 Canadians, 7,000 difference-makers who are the local champions who are showing the same values Rick did 25 years ago.”

more...

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cont...kes-difference

....Just my opinion..

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Research? I thought their new target was save planet
    Rick Hansen name should be banned from any forum about cure/research.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

You can send a letter to the Chronicle Journal at letters@chroniclejournal.com.

I sent the following letter a few minutes ago, and I urge you to do the same. Letters should be 300 words or less.

*******************************:
    Dear Editor,
    Thank you for your story regarding the Rick Hansen Relay. Mr. Hansen has done a lot to promote accessibility and acceptance for those of us living with living with spinal cord injury and paralysis.

As you may know, regeneration of the central nervous system (CNS), i.e. a cure for spinal cord injury is very clearly on the horizon and this is one of Mr. Hansen's stated goals. Researchers from all over the world are working towards this goal and animal studies clearly show that the spinal cord can be regenerated, meaning that the paralyzed may someday walk again. One of the things that is holding this bold effort back is funding for research, specifically clinical trials.

As your article mentions, $245 million has been raised by Rick Hansen in the past twenty five years and more money is being raised by this relay across Canada. This makes the Rick Hansen Foundation one of the biggest, most well-financed foundations dealing with spinal cord injury in the world.

Concerned about the lack of any specific mention regarding research funding for CNS regeneration, almost three hundred people have written to the Rick Hansen Foundation asking for information about their spending in this area and the particulars of that funding. Sadly, there has never been a clear answer to this question.

While the Rick Hansen Relay travels across Canada raising funds for a cure, isn’t it fair that they answer their constituents regarding spending on what could make the biggest difference in our lives – a cure for spinal cord injury.
    While I wish Rick Hansen success in this new endeavour, I also ask that funding for CNS regeneration become the priority that he says it is.

PS. All questions and answers to and from the Rick Hansen Foundation can be found at
    http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...oundation.html.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

You can send a letter to the Chronicle Journal, too

As I said in the above post, I sent a letter to the editor of the Chronicle Journal. You may not have the time to send the letter yourself, so please feel free to send a letter with JUST ONE CLICK by going to:

http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...nal-about.html

You can also use the form to send your own personalized message if you wish.
    Dennis Tesolat

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Thanks. I was just about to check if my letter got in and saw your post first. We got about one hundred other letters to the newspaper and I hope they follow it up and ask RHF about their funding for translational research on CNS regeneration.

I'll be writing to ask them about their follow up.
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King

I have been following the Rick Hansen Relay through the papers and found an interesting article in the Winnipeg Free Press which I followed up with a letter to the editor which got published again.

You can see the original article and my letter here.
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King