Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clogged Greenfield filter??

Clogged Greenfield filter??

Background- T2 Asia A complete (actually severed), 8 years post injury.

In Dec 2010 I was undergoing my yearly tests at the VA when my EKG showed an enlarged Right Atrium. That day my ankles were extremely swollen, I was also short of breath, lethargic and somewhat dizzy. The doc schedules me for an ultrasound a month later and the results are fantastic- the heart is strong, healthy and no signs of an enlarged RA. My ejaction fraction is a terrific 65%, so they think that the EKG results must have been a glitch.

Throughout the year I notice that I get occasional heavy swelling in my legs, always accompanied by the lethargy and dizziness. The symptoms last 1-5days and then go away for a while- my spasm are off the chart when it happens.

Last week I showed up for an EKG as part of my baclofen pump surgery this week and low-and-behold my EKG shows and enlarged RA again. Well, my ankles were extremely swollen, I was lethargic, and short of breath. Additionally my pulse was 96 when it's usually in the 60's. Again, a brief consultation and the lean is towards a bad valve in my heart.

Now, everything that I've read so far shows that a valve is like a pregnancy- it either is or isn't. So, is it possible that my Greenfield filter is blocked occasionally and causing the same symptoms as a bad valve? As the thrombus dissolves or breaks up, my circulatory system gets back to normal. It makes sense to me, but before I argue my point to those much smarter to me, I thought I'd come on here and ask you guys if it has ever happened to any of you.

Any thoughts? Ideas?

Dave
    Dave

Assume your Greenfield is located in the IVC? Many people experience total and permanent occlusion of the IVC due to filter placement.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Wheel View Post
    Assume your Greenfield is located in the IVC? Many people experience total and permanent occlusion of the IVC due to filter placement.
    Yep- its in the IVC. will a blockage there mirror the symptoms of an enlarged RA?
    Dave

I don't know, but they can certainly show what's going on around your filter placement with a CT scan -- If you had catastrophic blockage, your lower extremities would swell up and I would think and it would be pretty obvious. People develop collateral venous structures over time.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Wheel View Post
    I don't know, but they can certainly show what's going on around your filter placement with a CT scan -- If you had catastrophic blockage, your lower extremities would swell up and I would think and it would be pretty obvious. People develop collateral venous structures over time.
    Thanks- I guess that will be a step down the road.

I'm hoping a nurse will see this and tell me if a small blockage would make an EKG look like an enlarged RA...
    Dave

When a water pump works harder than it should due to a clog in a line or a reduction in pressure, it reduces the life of the pump. IMO it is possible that a heart would have similar issues. Heart enlargement is another possible issue.

It sounds to me that you need a cardiac work up when you are experiencing the problems. I know, easier said than done.

When you have the swelling, do you notice any reddness in your legs? Any change in sensation? You say that your spasms are bad - that is usually a good sign that something is going on.

Not much help - sorry.

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It sounds to me that you need a cardiac work up when you are experiencing the problems. I know, easier said than done.

When you have the swelling, do you notice any reddness in your legs? Any change in sensation? You say that your spasms are bad - that is usually a good sign that something is going on.

Not much help - sorry.

CKF
    Any help is good help ;-)

No redness, just swelling, and it's always accompanied by slight dizziness and lethargy. I'm usually a go all day kind of guy, but on days with swelling, I can barely push a cart through a grocery store w/o getting out of breath.

As for sensation- I have none except for the PITA tingling sensations, and I have no idea if they're even real or not. lol I'm a complete severe- I'm not "supposed" to feel anything, right?

Due to the lack of feedback from others on here, I guess this is something no one has experienced- just my luck........

Thank you,

Dave
    Dave

Good question. I'd wait to KLD chimes in.
    I have a filter and get swelling at times too.
    Notice of it is dietary?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Good question. I'd wait to KLD chimes in.
    I have a filter and get swelling at times too.
    Notice of it is dietary?
    I don't think it's dietary, I kept a journal for the longest time where I logged foods I ate, BP, BMs. Swelling, spasms, and few other variables and couldn't find any correlation or common denominator.
    Dave