Thread: Pressure sores on non-bony areas

Pressure sores on non-bony areas

I got a Ride Designs custom cushion two weeks ago. It offloads my ITs completely, but I'm getting redness where the cushion is offloading pressure onto. It's not on my trochs, but on the skin of the thigh, towards the outside of my leg. I get red areas there with the shape of the cushion fabric imprinted as well. After sitting for 2 hours, the area on my right side (where I sit more heavily because of my obliquity) stays red for around 40 minutes, and then has the imprint for longer. It blanches and eventually disappears. I know the general redness rule is 20 minutes or less to return to normal color, but is it different NOT on a bony prominence? They shaved down some of the cushion on that side with no real effect. The OTs who fitted me seem to be out of ideas to fix it. This was the only cushion that I didn't pressure map horribly on...

Not sure if this is equipment or care. It's kinda both?

GG
    C7 ASIA C from Transverse Myelitis. Diagnosed on 12/19/09.

I should also say that my skin is really pale and turns red very easily. My ITs turn red from sitting up in the bed after only five minutes or so. Maybe my skin is just turned red very easily?

This can be a problem with the Ride Cushion and other off-loading cushions. If your therapists are not sure how to handle this, I think they need to consult with the Ride experts in Colorado. I know our therapists are certified by Ride for making these cushions, but sometimes do need to involve the corporate expert clinicians in especially difficult problem solving.

(KLD)

They called and just said to shave down that area. Maybe the cams need to be tighter?

SCI nurse- The redness rule still applies to non-bony areas, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by GGabrielle View Post
    SCI nurse- The redness rule still applies to non-bony areas, correct?
    Yes, it still applies. I would urge the therapists to call the company back and request further consultation since their "solution" did not work.

(KLD)