Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good first marathon?

Blog Entries

What is a good first marathon?

Okay, I finally got a hancycle and love riding it! I was a runner before the injury so I would love to compete in a marathon. Now, I see how hard hills are.....What might be a good flat marathon for 2012? I am thinking a beach one (like florida) also I love the looks of the Marine corp marathon in D.C. (my family could visit the sights). ...
    Advice would be helpful!

Andy

My first was the Dallas White Rock marathon. Flat course, good support.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    My first was the Dallas White Rock marathon. Flat course, good support.
    Addition: sorry, in my first quick read I didn't see that you're looking to do a marathon with a handcycle rather than a racing chair. I don't know if Dallas has a handcycle division. I didn't see any handcycles when I did it.

Detroit Freepress International -- You cross the Ambassador bridge right off the start--- mean grade going up, but it's all pretty much downhill and flat from there. Cool to cross into Canada and back.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    What might be a good flat marathon for 2012? I am thinking a beach one (like florida) Andy
    You just missed it. Palm Beach in December would have been great. It's pancake flat, it was a little windy this year though. You have Miami coming up later this month(must be an achilles member). Also Melbourne is the first week in Feb. Miami has one significant bridge. Melbourne has 2 bridges but it is a 2 lap circuit, so 4 bridge crossings. You will need to avg 13mph or greater for Melbourne or you will not make the first lap within the cutoff time.

I think A1A marathon in Ft Lauderdale will have a handcycle division this year. It's flat flat flat, but a bit of a bottleneck at the end. Ft Lauderdale has the half marathon join the full marathon at around mile 16. You get caught up in the half marathon walkers, not the best for us.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I saw a few in Fl that were happening soon, but I am not ready for them. I notice there aren't many after the spring until next fall so that is what I will shoot for. Detroit is too far away from Georgia for me! I 'm looking for one in the southeast..

Could someone post some links for this. Def interested

Marine Corp is a good race as is Long Beach in CA. I would love to be able to do LB.

I also think Nashville has one in early fall--not certain of the date. I believe that handcycles are allowed.

My first marathon was for a charity--added to the intensity.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Are you sure the Marine Corps Marathon is flat? Some friends already did it and they told me it´s almost as hilly as NYC´s.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Okay, I finally got a hancycle and love riding it! I was a runner before the injury so I would love to compete in a marathon. Now, I see how hard hills are.....What might be a good flat marathon for 2012? I am thinking a beach one (like florida) also I love the looks of the Marine corp marathon in D.C. (my family could visit the sights). ...
    Advice would be helpful!

Andy

Here's an elevation chart for the MCM - looks like it's got a couple hundred feet elevation gain: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursem...?MIDD=41001022

Here's NYC - about the same elevation gain, but you have to do it over and over: http://www.marathonguide.com/coursem...MIDD=472111106