Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally starting some PT

The humming sounds like a good sign. You never know how far your hard work will take you and what surprises are in store!

Sorry I have not been around much lately, I am back to work part time, then PT I am so wiped out everyday I do nothing else, but have to take sometime off my pelvis/hip joint is rebelling, I am still having small victories feeling comes & goes in my left leg, groin and inner thigh, I have regained most of my bladder control (less accidents) Thank you all for honest answers & encouragement

So glad that you're seeing improvements! Taking some time off intermittently is a good idea - the anatomy has to have time to remodel and adjust to what it's learning. Thanks for this update, it's certainly good news.

Bon: You were so right i think i have been pushing to hard and seem to have taken two steps backwards the end of last week, I had also broke my pelvis in a few places the same time i injured my spine my hip is back to hurting something awful... Taking it easy this week hoping some "good feelings" will return...

I hope that your hip pain settles down soon. Try warm baths and very gently exploring the range of motion in that joint a little bit each day, after the acute pain passes. It's frustrating to have setbacks, and rehab really does seem to be two steps forward, one step back - but slow and steady wins the race, especially after the kinds of injury you've had. Very best wishes to you!

Having been wheel chaired once years ago i decided i was going to strive to stay positive as possible this time but the last couple weeks have been a struggle, I guess reality kind of sets in when you do not see the results you "assumed" you were going to see ASAP! I have regrouped and decided 110% effort is good enough I was trying to hard attempting to get back to my "pre injury life" work, play hard and PT with no rest days.... Thanks for the encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by fromnwmont View Post
    I guess reality kind of sets in when you do not see the results you "assumed" you were going to see ASAP! I have regrouped and decided 110% effort is good enough I was trying to hard attempting to get back to my "pre injury life" work, play hard and PT with no rest days....
    I know what you mean. For literally years, I had such a hard time accepting and acting on what I knew to be true, deep down...which was that my body simply could not rebound the way it had in the past; the elements necessary for recovery were not present in the ways I was used to.

One of the things that helped me a lot was learning about the remodeling issue from a rehabilitative yoga teacher. She explained that following a period of forced inactivity due to serious injury, all the tissues need to learn how to work together again within an anatomic template that has been fundamentally altered - we literally don't have the same bodies we did before. So it's important to reevaluate and modify exercise programs frequently, paying close attention to signals like pain and nausea that let a person know where his/her personal "edge" is at any particular time. Going more slowly and giving oneself a day or two off per week allows the body to integrate whatever is happening at the cellular level, below the threshold of conscious awareness.

This approach has helped me, and the best thing about it is that it's a longterm strategy that allows me to adjust my efforts before re-injury occurs. It's actually more a way of thinking about exercise than a plan, per se, enabling the body to regroup in a way that doesn't produce the kind of muscular resistance that creates setbacks. Maybe this approach would work well for you, too.

BON; Thank you for making some sense of what's been troubling me. Everybody just keeps saying it was because I am not as young as i used to be TRUE but not the whole story, last time a Dr. Cut the wrong nerves and I had to teach my left leg to "walk" again but the rest of me was uninjured. Although I am upset body is not responding as fast as I THINK it should I am still amazed how it adapts, I am taking your approach and giving myself a break inbetween to recover..

I hope a steady, incremental approach will prove its worth to you in less pain and more movement...here's to feeling better!

keep looking forward to what comes next....keep a positive attitude and dont make an ass of urself by assuming anything!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon