Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle modified for a paraplegic

Motorcycle modified for a paraplegic

I am selling my 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R that I had custom modified to ride after my injury. It uses a set of legs dubbed “landing gear” that the rider can raise and lower as needed. The "landing gear" parts were professionally machined from aircraft grade aluminum (aside from the steel legs). The bike also uses an electric shift cylinder built into the swing arm that is controlled from two buttons on the handle bars.

Other modifications made to the bike include raised handle bars, a gear indicator built into the gauge cluster, aluminum foot plates, frame slider pegs, leg straps and a modified seat with a gel pad. The bike was also lowered to make getting on and off from a wheelchair easy. The raised handle bars give it more of a “touring” seat position to keep body weight off the arms and avoid fatigue for someone without core control. I had the bike professionally painted by an airbrush artist to pay homage to my SHOEI helmet that saved my life during my accident. The artwork is “ghosted” meaning that it is not fully visible until it is in direct sunlight.

It has a clear title and has been well maintained with 11,725 miles. I've put 2,500+ miles on the bike in the last 2 years it has been the one thing that has made me feel truly "normal" again. It's also a great feeling to get away from the wheelchair once in awhile and cruise with some friends.

Here are several Youtube videos I made showing how it all works.

Motorcycle Modified for a Paraplegic

Paraplegic Motorcycle Rider's View

Paraplegic Riding a Motorcycle Again

Click HERE to view more photos.

I'm asking $7,000. Please let me know if you are interested or have any questions!

[/quote]

That looks like a awesome setup. Glws man. Are you replacing it with another bike?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    That looks like a awesome setup. Glws man. Are you replacing it with another bike?
    No, I am getting engaged and need the money. Baby(s) are going to be expensive!

would love to try riding a bike but i think the spasms in my legs would end up getting me killed

What injury level are you Bkizz, and are you Asia A?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

How do people do this?
    I need really good cushion if I want to see on anything for longer than 10 minutes
    And I have no balance! How do you ride that with no upper balance or backrest?

Hi,
    That is a great set up. Wish we could buy it from you. We recently purchased a Honda Goldwing and are looking to have the seat recovered with gel padding. Can you tell me how you went about doing that? How much did it cost? Not sure where to start. Thanks so much.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    What injury level are you Bkizz, and are you Asia A?
    blackpearlv6 (as he is known on youtube) is T1 ASIA A, and at 3 years post has done AMAZING things especially considering he wasn't a CC member. Definite man-crash here, it's great knowing what's possible seeing as he's only one vertebrae lower level than myself.

That street bike is worth every penny and probably better cared-for than 99% of bikes on the road.

Thanks, that's simply amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    blackpearlv6 (as he is known on youtube) is T1 ASIA A, and at 3 years post has done AMAZING things especially considering he wasn't a CC member. Definite man-crash here, it's great knowing what's possible seeing as he's only one vertebrae lower level than myself.

That street bike is worth every penny and probably better cared-for than 99% of bikes on the road.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I wish ! I can handle our Can Am Spyder but two wheels and leaning would be a stretch for me.