Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Oxy's obtaining

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    You WILL experience withdrawal from chronic use of pain killers. You will develop habituation/dependence to painkillers. But this is not the same thing as addiction, and is nothing to be ashamed about. Like I said before these are parts of addiction, but do not demonstrate addiction alone.

As long as you follow your Drs instructions and don't miss appointments, you should not be put into a situation to experience withdrawal. Also, you're on tramadol correct? Being a non narcotic, it can be prescribed with refills. Narcotics cannot, which makes it all the more important to never miss pain appointments and stay in control of your care.
    Habituation and addiction are synonymous. I understand why you are trying to make a differentiation between the two because of the negative connotation addiction has but if you take opiates for an extended period of time you get addicted to them. It is nothing to be ashamed of, people with chronic pain have valid reasons for using them. Also long term high dose use of tramadol will cause opiate like withdrawal symptoms. (Source)

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Why do you care? I am addicted to methadone, I will stop taking it when they cure SCI and deal with it then by tapering off. If you need pain medicine that is the price you pay. Just because some people abuse drugs shouldn't matter in your decision making.
    The reason to care is because when they run out and they aren't refilled you will not have any and therefore you will go through the detox stage and withdrawal from opiates if you do withdrawal can be areal bitch. Since I have been on opiates I have been forced to run out because of various errors in prescribing and obtaining pre approval etc and have had to go as long as 5 days without them. Over the course of that time the closes thing that I have experienced to withdrawal was a few cold sweats which may have even been cause by the extreme debilitating pain that I was in or the high level of alcohol that I drank to try to deal with the pain in lieu of the oxy's or morphines. So anyway I am not afraid of the withdrawals from pain medication like some people, I am just afraid of the pain. I did find on one occasion that I ran out for a few days that tramadol along with a low dose of oxy helped a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    The reason to care is because when they run out and they aren't refilled you will not have any and therefore you will go through the detox stage and withdrawal from opiates if you do withdrawal can be areal bitch. Since I have been on opiates I have been forced to run out because of various errors in prescribing and obtaining pre approval etc and have had to go as long as 5 days without them. Over the course of that time the closes thing that I have experienced to withdrawal was a few cold sweats which may have even been cause by the extreme debilitating pain that I was in or the high level of alcohol that I drank to try to deal with the pain in lieu of the oxy's or morphines. So anyway I am not afraid of the withdrawals from pain medication like some people, I am just afraid of the pain. I did find on one occasion that I ran out for a few days that tramadol along with a low dose of oxy helped a lot too.
    I meant "why should you care" more as in you shouldn't care because there is no shame in being addicted to something if there is a valid medical reason for taking it.

Your prescription mishaps are unfortunate but I don't know if I would advise people not to take opiates because of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Maria View Post
    Lin & T8, you're both right, I guess this is part of my process resigning to the fact I will be on something forever. I've never really had the opportunity to settle in and process what's happened to me. I was thinking ok once I get past the 'broken bones' healing stage things will get better. They haven't.

Lin, yes I am on Tram now, was on Hydro & Oxy and that really never erased the pain. I asked to try something else that was non-narcotic and I never miss my appointments, yet to even reschedule one.
    If your surgeon suggested surgery to fix your problem which I believe I read in another thread, why not fix it and get off all the drugs if its possible?

Nothing erases pain. I don't think you "get" that.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I meant "why should you care" more as in you shouldn't care because there is no shame in being addicted to something if there is a valid medical reason for taking it.

Your prescription mishaps are unfortunate but I don't know if I would advise people not to take opiates because of them.
    I know that I wouldn't advise people to not take opiates period unless they were getting high from them, because like I said I didn't have any withdrawals.