Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oxy's obtaining

It seems most of the bases have been covered by the members for your situation. They are a great group of people. There are a couple points that I would like to relay to you about my experiences. First, narcotics are incideous. Meaning, they will create more pain via your brain receptors. The brain ceases or reduces the amount of natural pain killing agents as we take the narcotics. It simply figures more is better. But, it is really just a never ending on slot. I think most chronic pain patients learn this later than sooner. It was so in my case. I finally went to a pill dosage box and allocated the pills on a daily basis. I also got a pill spliter. I was surprised the effect of a half dose can stretch ones daily dose quite well. You still need to be careful, the brain never gives up. Second, I too take morphine sulfate ER (Kadian). It in no way compares to the effects of oxys. There is no feeling of "well being" (buzz) associated with them. Morphine needs to build in the body to give the pain relief. And, for me, they make me very drowzie. But, they do help in reducing the pain. I hope you find a comfortable amount for monthly control of your prescriptions. Some months are better than others. The body does form a resistance over time unles you schedule resets throughout the year. This definately sucks, but it's part of the experience. The law is on a crusade to reduces the pill mills and doctors are in fear of their licenses. Feds and state law enforcement have a problem and unfortunately, we are the ones that fall into the cracks. Collateral damage I guess. Good luck!
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

Well stated, Snorp.
    Good luck with the big surgery that is coming up.

double your oxycodone amount and then cut them in half for use.

Thank you all for your advice. Hopefully I will be able to get into this Santa Clara ValleyMedical Center and get treated by a doctor that has some experience with this stuff.

Ever tried Suboxone? WORKS WONDERS!!! I had the same issues you are having and was taking the Morphine ER and percocet for breakthrough. I got to the point where I was taking too much and would get withdrawals after about 3-4 hours if I didn't take the percs. Been on Suboxone for about a year now and I am very happy with it...
    God is good

RollingPrincess:
    I thought Suboxone was only used to help relieve the symptoms of opiate withdrawals for people who are detoxing from heroine, or opiate dependency syndrome.

I didn't realize it was used for long term pain management.

I thought it required special permission to use and was primary used at detox clinics.

Could you tell me (us) more about your experience with it?

Thanks.
    Arndog

I know a pain Dr here where people refer to his clinic as the suboxone clinic and say thats all he ever prescribes. Those that have gone to him (that I've met) all complained that it didn't do anything for them. But just another example of how everyone reacts to medications differently.

Suboxone under the generic name Buprenorphine is a common pain med prescribed in australia, I have quite a few online friends in chronic pain treatment that have tried it the patches.

Similar to methadone in a way, many people aren't familiar that its used for pain management. Years ago I had a friend at my barn who took methadone for chronic pain. She had a bad accident coming off her horse. She refused to tell the paramedics what meds she was on, stating she wanted to wait until they were in the ambulance. I followed the ambulance and stayed with her all night at the ER until she went into surgery for her ankle. There she told me about being on methadone but for chronic pain and didn't want to say it in front of people who might think it was for heroin. In the ER the drs treated her horribly.... She was in SO much pain. Bones of her ankle and lower leg had gone through the skin and it was wrapped up 6 inches thick with blood still visible on the outside. A few times I went to find nurses to say she couldn't take the pain anymore... and they would give me disgusted looks and say they couldn't give her any more pain meds. I didn't realize it back then, but now after my ER experiences I wonder if they all considered her an addict. But christ, she nearly lost her foot the breaks were so bad. The dr said wearing tall leather riding boots was the only thing that saved her from needing an amputation.
    Last edited by ~Lin; 02-13-2012 at 01:10 AM.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by rollinprincess3227 View Post
    Ever tried Suboxone? WORKS WONDERS!!! I had the same issues you are having and was taking the Morphine ER and percocet for breakthrough. I got to the point where I was taking too much and would get withdrawals after about 3-4 hours if I didn't take the percs. Been on Suboxone for about a year now and I am very happy with it...
    I have been given the option of switching to methadone, but was also told that it tends to make you drowsy which was the reason that I quit taking morphine even though I currently have no real health insurance and am therefor paying about 4 times more out of pocket for oxycontin than what the equivalent in morphine would cost me. I have no problems with withdrawals though even when I run out the withdrawals are very minor, just an occasional cold sweat which in addition to the pain I experience is insignificant, since I am incapacitated and lying in bed anyway.

I would give methadone a shot. If you get drowsy you can stop. Will your Dr be willing to prescribe methadone to try in addition to your current meds? I mean without prescribing less of what you know works. I was just given some extended release morphine to try, and I was concerned about if it didn't work and being without what DOES work. But was given it in addition as opposed to instead. That way if it doesn't work or I get side effects (I did with methadone) I can stop right away.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    I would give methadone a shot. If you get drowsy you can stop. Will your Dr be willing to prescribe methadone to try in addition to your current meds? I mean without prescribing less of what you know works. I was just given some extended release morphine to try, and I was concerned about if it didn't work and being without what DOES work. But was given it in addition as opposed to instead. That way if it doesn't work or I get side effects (I did with methadone) I can stop right away.
    Probably not the dude is just plain paranoid, but based on what I've read here I kind of understand. That is part of the reason that I am still in pain after over year is that he is afraid to increase my doses and to change my prescriptions even though I have been complaining for over a year that I am still hurting. It really sucks for me because I have never gotten complete relief because of it. If he givers me methadone it will be off of a chart with the prescription being equal to whatever the chart says is equivalent to my current level of oxucodone/oxycontin and if it doesn't work for me, I will still have to ride out the next 30 days in pain. That is the primary reaso that I am afraid to switch pain killers again, because whether that work or not I have to live with my decision until they run out. And when I take more than I am prescribed because they aren't working, I have taken a 30 days supply in less than 10 days before, I am left suffering for the remainder of whatever it was supposed to last for before it will be refilled.