Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oxy's obtaining

Oxy's obtaining

I am just wonering if anyone else on here is having or have had similar problems getting their pain meds filled. I take oxycontin and oxycodone, and for one reason or another I always need to to take an extra or two during the 30 days my pills are suppost to last, so when I run out early even though I have a new prescription from my doctor in hand, they refuse to dispense the medication untless they have been pre approved. This has been happening pretty much forever and as aresult I end up having no oxycontin for a couple of days for my pain which then leads to me eating half of my breakthrough meds to compensate which then in turn means that I run out of my breakthrough 2 weeks early. The only way that has worked for me is to have my wife go to the clinic and stand there and wait until they have received confirmation from walgreens that they will give them to me. I have tried reminding my doctor 7 days in advance of my imending need etc. but yet again here it is the weekend and so at best it will be Monday evening before I might get my oxycontin filled. This really sucks! is it because my care coordinator or doctor are incompetent and are not following the corrrect guidelines when writing out my prescriptions or what. Running out of meds is no fun for me but I still am forced go through it about every 4 weeks. Any ideas on how to convince my doctor to do what I neeed to manage my pain?

My insurance caps the number of pills per 30 days--period, the end. The federal guidelines for the prescription of Oxycodone/Oxycontin are very strict. Look at your pharmacy plan and see the number per month allowed. Then stick to that amount and only that amount.

If you use Oxycontin for break through pain, work out a monthly calculation with your doctor for the amount.

Lastly, your pharmacy may be rigid in only filling your medication on the day you run out. Check other pharmacies and see what their guidelines are. My pharmacy and insurance plan allow me to fill my prescriptions 3 days before they run out. I know of others that can only get their prescriptions--- even new dosing, etc. On the day they are supposed to run out.

Your doctor is being cautious to not loose his ability to write scripts for controlled substances.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Here is the lowdown ; Sadly These class 2 narcotics have Been sold on the streets by substance abusers for so many years that anything with Codeine in it had to be monitored only making life rougher for the Real people who need pain medications
    Pharmacies follow strict guidelines As cheesecake said .

If you can see your Dr who is prescribing you these try to talk to them and explain your situation
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    If you use Oxycontin for break through pain, work out a monthly calculation with your doctor for the amount.

Lastly, your pharmacy may be rigid in only filling your medication on the day you run out. Check other pharmacies and see what their guidelines are. My pharmacy and insurance plan allow me to fill my prescriptions 3 days before they run out. I know of others that can only get their prescriptions--- even new dosing, etc. On the day they are supposed to run out.

Your doctor is being cautious to not loose his ability to write scripts for controlled substances.
    Ya I have but that isn't all that consistent, so sometimes I have extra for breakthrough and others I run out early.

My doctor is actually very god about writing me new scripts when I am about to runout, but when I take them to the pharmacy they are not worth the paper they are written on

I guess that I am just stupid, because I think that if someone is in a lot of pain and there is something available that would help their suffering then anyone that interferes with their ability to have relief should be shot. Maybe I would just be better off holding up a pharmacy and geting myself a large enough supply to buffer what they will legally sell me. Because when I run out the pain ramps up for the first day or two, and after that I am unable to do anything except drink and sleep. Once I get to that point I am not even able to drive to the pharmacy to get a prescription myself. I guess that I think that being forced to run out of medication evey 30 days just because they are paranoid about it being used illicitly is wrong.

Hi mike
    maybe try switching pharmacies

NauticalMike:
    Target is better with refills than Walgreens and some grocery stores. WalMart sucks.

Seems like insurance is easier on Oxycodone than on Oxycontin. My pain med doctor when he started me on meds gave me a perscription of Ultram and said take as many a day as you need to control the pain. I thought he was crazy and I kept falling asleep. He made me do it for another month. He used the number of pills used per day to calculate a safe ER dose as well as breakthrough. Mine calculate that 1 ER= 6 quick acting pills.

I get pain and I get being wwithout the meds as well as the unmanaged pain. It may take an appeal or pre-auth with your insurance but it can be done.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

write down in a med diary every pill, time taken, and note when you are able to take another. If you find you can go a bit longer between pills, do that. I end up with enough patch to cover a couple extra days between filling. do not take early, and you won't run out.

I did the same thing as Cheese did with Ultram ER years ago.

Also when I am talking to my doctor, I always give an above average figure of what I need. When they count my meds I make sure that the meds in the bottle match what I am saying. Somedays I may take one pill more and somedays one pill less or maybe I may need three on a rainy day. I have had days that I didn't need my break through at all. My prescription is written that way. But I figured a daily number by writing it on a calendar and then counting how many I had taken in a month. That is what I showed my doctor.

Only you know your pain and you have to be proactive in this as to not run out.

Talk frankly and honestly with your doctor. Over the years this has helped me more than anything. When you say you hurt....describe it. They hear about pain all day long and you have to make it your pain and your anguish.

Walmart is the worst place to get medicine. I would rather pay a higher price than go through the BS at Walmart. I have an exception on two of my drugs and there is always a problem at walmart never anywhere else. When you ask no one knows anything....By the time you leave most of the people standing behind you know what drugs you are carrying out because you have had to argue with 4 people to get your co-payment right.

Also different states have different laws. Ask the pharmacy if it is a law or their own policy that they are following. That will help you choose a better pharmacy.

I have never had a problem with a written prescription needing to be pre-approved. Is that insurance? I take a low dose of oxycontin so it may be your insurance just making sure you are not getting to many and having overlapping prescriptions that will increase the chance for a drug overdose. Some people would get both prescriptions filled and take them according to directions and be unknowingly overdosing themselves. The elderly fall into this alot so pharmacies have developed checks and balances as not to be the target of a lawsuit for an overdose that could have been prevented.

I hope you get it worked out.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    write down in a med diary every pill, time taken, and note when you are able to take another. If you find you can go a bit longer between pills, do that. I end up with enough patch to cover a couple extra days between filling. do not take early, and you won't run out.
    Lately I only take the Oxycontins every 12, and have the oxycodones for breakthrough. At least that is the plan. Unfortunately a few months back I was switched to Kadian and it was so inneffective I took my 30 day supply in less than 10 days. this in turn screwed up the dates for my prescriptions being written and also caused me to suffer with no pain killers at all for 4 days, and that was not a very hapy time for me. Now as was stated by another poster my insurance will usually fill, but they delay my contin so I end up having to eat at least haf of my codone while waiting to get my contin, and then run out of the codone 2 weeks early and have to take additional contin in it's place,and so i am out of both again early, and so on, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I did the same thing as Cheese did with Ultram ER years ago.

Also when I am talking to my doctor, I always give an above average figure of what I need. When they count my meds I make sure that the meds in the bottle match what I am saying. Somedays I may take one pill more and somedays one pill less or maybe I may need three on a rainy day. I have had days that I didn't need my break through at all. My prescription is written that way. But I figured a daily number by writing it on a calendar and then counting how many I had taken in a month. That is what I showed my doctor.

Only you know your pain and you have to be proactive in this as to not run out.

Talk frankly and honestly with your doctor. Over the years this has helped me more than anything. When you say you hurt....describe it. They hear about pain all day long and you have to make it your pain and your anguish.

Walmart is the worst place to get medicine. I would rather pay a higher price than go through the BS at Walmart. I have an exception on two of my drugs and there is always a problem at walmart never anywhere else. When you ask no one knows anything....By the time you leave most of the people standing behind you know what drugs you are carrying out because you have had to argue with 4 people to get your co-payment right.

Also different states have different laws. Ask the pharmacy if it is a law or their own policy that they are following. That will help you choose a better pharmacy.

I have never had a problem with a written prescription needing to be pre-approved. Is that insurance? I take a low dose of oxycontin so it may be your insurance just making sure you are not getting to many and having overlapping prescriptions that will increase the chance for a drug overdose. Some people would get both prescriptions filled and take them according to directions and be unknowingly overdosing themselves. The elderly fall into this alot so pharmacies have developed checks and balances as not to be the target of a lawsuit for an overdose that could have been prevented.

I hope you get it worked out.
    Yes I have been trying to be proactive, but I have avery young doctor and he is really paranoid about increasing doses etc, even though I have been trying to get my meds adjusted to a manageble threshold, my pain level has also fluctuated a lot. ALso when I run out and my pain goes untreated it just kinda spirals out of control and I need to take as much as 3 times more than what worked before running out for a week or two before it settles out and returns back down to normal. When I was first released from the hospital following my injury I was good with 20mg contins and 5mg codones, nowI am taking 40mg contins and they staill aren't working as well as the 20's did before. Because of cost concerns on my part I switched to Morphine after about a month, with the codones for breakthrough. This wasn't working tough and made me stupid. Because ofmy dr's paranoia though it took me just under a year of altering doses and brands of morphine until I convinced him to return me to the contins But because just prior to that was when I had been switched to kadians only to find that they didn't work for me and I was eating them like candy with little relief, and that was followed by a week with tylenol and alcohol before the contins. Of course he only gave me the 20mg contins because that was working previously, so those were eaten in much less than the 30days and ever since it has been a battle to try to get everything back under control. Like right now I ran out of y contins on friday, but they filled my codones, but I need to eat about 20 of those per day to keep everything bearable, but it also means that I need to get my contins filled monday or else they will all be gone by wednesday.

As far as the preapproval goes sometimes it's insuranceand sometimes it's the doctors confirmation.