Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you have a Nook?

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    If a person is only interested in using the device to read books, this isn't really an issue. Wifi-only readers are perfectly fine for purchasing and loading books.
    Yes they are, as long as you have acccess to wifi whenever you want to download a book. If not then the G makes it much more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalmike View Post
    Yes they are, as long as you have acccess to wifi whenever you want to download a book. If not then the G makes it much more convenient.
    Convenience versus necessary. If an e-reader is just being used to buy and load books, the extra cost of a G device isn't really worth it, in my opinion. If you want something to browse the web constantly in place of a laptop, etc, then it might be.

Kendell, you can also load books, magazines, etc on to the black and white Nook and most e-reades from a computer or laptop by syncing them using a cord. Some also have external storage options, such as SD card slots, that can be used. All you really need is some type of internet connection to obtain the books. The end result is the same. I wouldn't worry if the reader you were considering buying isn't 3G.

back atcha OJ ! Thanks for the good wishes. You "sound" good - hope that means all is going well with you.

And I appreciate all the advice. I don't have a laptop, but since I also dont' have the funds to buy a newer e-reader that I could get all the bells and whistles with, it sounds like the nook will work for what I"m wanting. The e-pub thing - I will definitely keep that in mind. And I hang out at a coffee shop with wifi pretty much every day so the internet connection wont be a problem.

I"m not the most computer literate person in the world and technology keeps speeding up, but I'll figure out the syncing/slot thing lol

Thanks!
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell View Post
    back atcha OJ ! Thanks for the good wishes. You "sound" good - hope that means all is going well with you.

And I appreciate all the advice. I don't have a laptop, but since I also dont' have the funds to buy a newer e-reader that I could get all the bells and whistles with, it sounds like the nook will work for what I"m wanting. The e-pub thing - I will definitely keep that in mind. And I hang out at a coffee shop with wifi pretty much every day so the internet connection wont be a problem.

I"m not the most computer literate person in the world and technology keeps speeding up, but I'll figure out the syncing/slot thing lol

Thanks!
    Things are going okay. Up and down as usual. That never changes. But I am keeping busy with a very intense and interesting course load at school and a part-time job I really enjoy, most days. I am also trying to figure out and deal with the logistics of moving to a different province to begin a phd program next fall. So we will see how that goes. It's so good to hear from as I do think about you and wonder how you are.

If you do end up getting that Nook and need some help with it, let me know. I would be happy to help and also to share some ebooks with you.

Things are going okay. Up and down as usual. That never changes. But I am keeping busy with a very intense and interesting course load at school and a part-time job I really enjoy, most days. I am also trying to figure out and deal with the logistics of moving to a different province to begin a phd program next fall. So we will see how that goes. It's so good to hear from as I do think about you and wonder how you are.

If you do end up getting that Nook and need some help with it, let me know. I would be happy to help and also to share some ebooks with you.
    Glad to hear about school OJ.

I ended up downloading four new books to mine yesterday. Then I bought 3 paperbacks at Target. I plan on sending them to someone else when I get done though.

I donated over 500 books to the library in Bealeton Virginia. I guess you could call me a book hoarder. LOL I still have two book shelves full though. I can't part with my autographed book or books that are sentimental.

Good to hear from you too Melisa. You will love the nook. I hope things are improving after your rough year.

My favorite thing was going to the used bookstores in town with my grandpa. He fueled my desire to read. I guess the new version is taking your nook to the coffeeshop. I still love the smell of the old bookstores and the books when you open them. Now I am waiting on Casey to turn into me so I can say "I told you so" LOL She has read a few of my books so it still may happen before I am completely gray LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I have a Kindle and have checked out several library books since I have had it.

You can still use the Loan feature on Barnes and Noble/nook. However, it is only certain books that you can loan.

I read Sunday's Paper on it for the first time. I must say I like it better than the print edition and it is cheaper.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Wow! Busy lady! Yeah ups and downs I'm sure, but sounds like you're taking life on full steam ahead from where I sit. Really hope the move and Phd program work out well for you!

Appreciate all the info about the Nook. It's gonna have to wait awhile longer as things stand but hopefully I can get one before too long. When I do, I'll holler.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Glad to hear about school OJ.

I ended up downloading four new books to mine yesterday. Then I bought 3 paperbacks at Target. I plan on sending them to someone else when I get done though.

I donated over 500 books to the library in Bealeton Virginia. I guess you could call me a book hoarder. LOL I still have two book shelves full though. I can't part with my autographed book or books that are sentimental.

Good to hear from you too Melisa. You will love the nook. I hope things are improving after your rough year.

My favorite thing was going to the used bookstores in town with my grandpa. He fueled my desire to read. I guess the new version is taking your nook to the coffeeshop. I still love the smell of the old bookstores and the books when you open them. Now I am waiting on Casey to turn into me so I can say "I told you so" LOL She has read a few of my books so it still may happen before I am completely gray LOL
    Hi Daisy. Things are improving, Not as quickly as I'd like but getting there. I'm finding living with two roommates and six pets to be a bit distracting. Need to get my focus back and take care of some things. And there's always missing Debbie but that is to be expected and I deal with it best I can. What else can you do?

There are a lot of Nooks and such to be seen in my local coffee shop. I gotta admit I've balked at them for a long time cause I, too, love the feel of books and browsing in bookstores. However, I've also had to downsize a lot of my books and moving just the ones I kept made me reconsider my thinking lol. I suppose someday books will be obsolete except in antique stores - ain't that a crying shame.

I think you've had a tough year, too. Hope life is getting easier for you as well.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell View Post
    Hi Daisy.

I think you've had a tough year, too. Hope life is getting easier for you as well.

Amazing what a couple of months can do away from stressful people and drama.

I am doing well, my smile and laughter has returned. Went off two of my drugs and got quite a decrease in the seering pain of last year....still trying to figure that one out.

I am taking baby steps lol...no more cliff diving into things for me.

l realized the fighter is still in me...I just pick more important battles and things I might actually be able to change.

I don't regret the learning as it always makes me come back stronger than before and more determined that I am never ever giving up.

The old saying goes, you can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

The other night, we had a storm here and I could hear the trees falling around me and everyone else in these RV's. So without batting an eye in the pouring rain, I got out unhooked my water and power. Then with a few hale Marys, prayers, and downright begging to God, I took off down the road. I could feel the wind shifting the RV as I drove. All I could picture was waking up with a lovely pine tree across me and my bed. Pine trees don't have deep roots anyway and add to that a saturated ground........I ended up in a church parking lot without a tree in sight.

I guess that was my revelation....storms are going to come even when you CAN see the forest and the trees. But I will ALWAYS make my way out and keep fighting even while getting soaked by the water hose because I did forget to turn off the water before disconnecting it.