Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: List of Positives

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Tom, I'm sure that there's something more than being a parent who feels the obligation to provide for his children that keeps you motivated. You don't strike me as being at the tipping point of wanting to check out on the world despite all of the things that suck about paralysis. No one struggles to identify the things about life that they don't like; finding and cultivating those things that provide richness to one's spirit is undoubtedly more challenging. Getting there isn't easy -- and I'm not even sure there's a "there" to get to, because as long as we're drawing a breath we're always just at the starting line of something -- but I bet there are more than a few things that put a smile on your face in the course of a day. I sincerely hope there are.
    Beautifully said.

I love having doors opened for me. I love being on eye level with small children. I love when small children think that my chair and I are a toy and push me all around. I love when people recognize our intelligence and assume that we must be married and have children because that is the way that it should be. I love when the PT's and especially the OTs ask me to show them how "I" do things.

I believe that the glass is half full, not half empty. And that a "stubborn streak" can take you far.

I will never step on a slug again!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFiresky View Post
    T8burst, I have one for you (which hopefully won't offend). You're not at risk for an STD!
    Interesting, I am starting to doubt you are a person with a disability. I have a pretty dark sense of humor and that joke, telling someone who has lost the ability to have sex for the rest of his life because of an accident that he is not at risk for an STD shows a real lack of the experience of being disabled.

I don't have to work, I get the money directly on my account every month.
    I don't have to shop groceries because the shops are not accessible.
    A girl is coming to clean and fix my house and shop the groceries.
    I don't have to get out at all in the winter, I can stay inside in my warm appartment. No snow yet so I can still get out
    I don't have to talk with the teachers at school except on the phone.
    I have a free van, I only pay for gas and services.
    No husband to bother me and I don't have to see football on TV, I choose my own channels.
    I can go to bed and get up whenever I want.
    I can sit when I am waiting in a queue
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Beautifully said.

I love having doors opened for me. I love being on eye level with small children. I love when small children think that my chair and I are a toy and push me all around. I love when people recognize our intelligence and assume that we must be married and have children because that is the way that it should be. I love when the PT's and especially the OTs ask me to show them how "I" do things.

I believe that the glass is half full, not half empty. And that a "stubborn streak" can take you far.
    Agreed on Stephens post..

and as for the rest of your post..nice

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    No husband to bother me and I don't have to see football on TV, I choose my own channels.

LOL!! yeah..I hate despise football.my family growing up was obsessed..two older brothers and all...my husband DOES NOT watch football! YAY!!!!!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Oh, dude thanks for the nice note. I am fine. I just have been in a lot of pain recently and the "oh hehe, aren't wheelchairs fun" post irritated the crap out of me. I have noticed that people who come on this site with progressive diseases, not a spinal cord injury, view their wheelchairs fundamentally differently than we do. Where in their life, they struggle and at some point they gradually start using a chair, then possibly full time and the chair is a godsend, it makes their life so much easier. They like their chair. I don't and I imagine deep down you don't either. This morning after finally falling asleep at 5am and then having my cute little six year old wake me up at 7, I was watching spongebob with her an browsing CC. Posted something in a better light I wouldn't have. I go to mayo clinic tuesday for two days of tests and hopefully will find out what is going on.
    You have every right to feel the way that you do. My view is a bit different and my life experience is a bit different as well.

I've gone from chair to no chair and back to chair. None of it is good. Walking for me means back pain and lack of mobility. Pretty much can't go out and do anything. Chair equals mobility and mostly no back pain. But then comes tendinitis in the elbows and other issues from using the chair. Which means back to the limited mobility.

I don't suffer from real bad pain. But go through long spells of neuro issues where it feels like ants are crawling just under my skin. Typically this starts just after I start to fall asleep and can go on all night. Sleep deprivation is brutal. Still, I can't imagine what some others go through with pain as even my small amount can really put a damper in life sometimes.

UTIs, botox, worries about aging with SCI etc. I don't come here and post on this stuff much because it is well covered. I just come and read the posts to help me figure out how others are dealing these issues and either find that I am not alone or see how they deal with it. This place rocks for that reason. It is also good because it is someplace that people can express their frustrations and have others who can understand.

I've dealt with spinal cord injury for about 40 years as an incomplete. When I was younger, the relationship side of this was huge for me. Being looked at was a problem. People trying to help was an issue.... I could open the damn door myself. This has all changed for me. I would tell you how I made this all change but I can't. I don't know. My view of life just evolved. I'm happy with my life and at peace with my disability and all the wonderful gifts that come with it..... good and bad.

It is a bit of a bummer that most of the "feel good" or "happy" threads have a real hard time making it. Understandable I guess.

Regardless, it is OK for people to look at the bright side of bad situations. It is even common for people to be happy in spite of bad circumstances. But it is not a requirement.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Here are my positives.

People are generally very accommodating and helpful. When I go skiing, people regularly come up and ask if I could use help when I am getting on and off the snow from the parking lot. These are very kind gestures and I often take people up on their offers.... more so at the end of the day and I have a beaten up body.

Personally, I think it is good for me to be exposed to so many people that go out of their way to help. Gives me a more positive outlook on the situations in the world today and inspires me to at least try and help others whenever I can.

We do get the chance to inspire others, if sometimes for just carrying on with our lives.

usually you get a good shot of clevage when woman bend over to talk to you
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    usually you get a good shot of clevage when woman bend over to talk to you
    And when handcycling you have a great view of some athletic butts... whether you like them on men or women