Thread: Bowel and Bladder Incontinence: Malone antegrade continence enema (MACE)

Bowel and Bladder Incontinence: Malone antegrade continence enema (MACE)

Hello,

I have just recently found this forum and been reading some of the wonderful information that you have here. First, thank you all!

I'm a 36 y/o male with spinabiffida; I have urinary and bowel incontinence and am looking for a possible solution (or even a better alternative) to my current method which includes intermittent self catheterization and daily rectal enemas. I have been doing this since the age of about 8 (when doctors realized that I had spinabiffida) and I have never looked into alternative treatments. These work to varying degrees, often depending on activity level. I am fully ambulatory and aside from the loss of sensation and control in that area, I have been very lucky. I lead an average life and play sports and have always pretended like this wasn't an issue...but it is clearly time to address things now.

I am wondering if anyone knows about the Malone antegrade continence enema (MACE) procedure for bowel incontinence and specifically if anyone can help direct me to a doctor or clinic in the Olympia/Seattle Washington area that can perform this procedure. From what I have read, this seems to be a common treatment for patients in similar situations to mine. Also, I am trying to learn more about the Mitrofanoff procedure as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry to say that I know very little about possible alternative treatments...or spinabiffida in general, as I have always chosen not to deal with these problems. But now seems to be the time to finally address this and see if there are better options out there than what I am currently doing.

Thanks for your help,

C

Hello and welcome to carecure site,

I believe you will find a wealth of information and support from people with many different health problems.

Re your request for further information on the mitrofanoff procedure, use the "search" function in the upper right corner of this page, which will search google as well as this particular site. There is tons of info on this topic. Also, people may chime into this post as well.

AS the moderator, I am able to move your post to the "Doctors and Clinics" tab, however it would then lose the mitrofanoff request, so I hesitate to do so.
    Please post your question on a doctor using the MACE procedure in the Doctors and Clinic section, just like you have done here.

If you have any difficulties, please simply ask here.

AAD

Call the rehabilitation center at Seattle Children's Hospital and ask for a referral. I know they have done quite a few Mitrofanoff's there, and I would suspect a number of ACE procedures too. Most surgeons who do this do them in children, but will do adult surgeries for those with similar needs. See if you can talk to Lyn Sapp, RN.

(KLD)