Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New TiLite Options for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    A teammate (C5 quad) of mine got them on his new ZR about 3 months ago. 25" with SpeedRun's they feel lighter than a Spinergy LX. We like them, he has no hand or tricep function yet transfers into and drives a sports car and beat the shit out of them removing them from the chair each time. Cool wheels, although for whatever reason when he picked the chair up from the vendor it had axles on it that were an inch too long, the quad releases were catching on everything. The dme blamed TiLite, but I somehow doubt it left the factory that way. I replaced his axles with inventory I had and he's good to go. The hubs make it possible to run an incredibly small wheel spacing (to the back posts), dunno if the chair was built on purpose that way for the wheels or just on a Friday afternoon.

Try them. I can't wait to see what SureLocks comes up with for use on the unique hub.

A single-sided hub disc may not be feasible with the Golz hub. The 6 screws at the hub are under spoke tension. Removing them to install a disc would require at least a partial disassembling of the wheel for disc installation and possibly a potential cascading of Murphy's Law on a path toward Pandora's box.

Good to hear that the wheels are holding up well for your teammate.
    Last edited by stephen212; 07-30-2012 at 10:28 AM.

jschism: In one of your early write-ups of the Topolino you mentioned that it has offset hubs. From this picture, though, the rim appears perfectly centered. What am I missing?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    on the inside of the hub, the inner bearing towards chair is flush and the outer bearingface is inside hub about an inch. it made for a difficult time finding an axle that would fit correctly. i either had to grind a button down a little to fit inside the hub(which made it kinda hard to release when reaching out of car) or have a longer one and run the nut all the way down and then the button sticks out just a hair.
    they have other spacing options avaiable since I got mine, I got mine when the wheel first released.
    Last edited by jschism; 07-30-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I'm curious to know if anyone around here is using the Golz Twin-Star Exchange wheels (pictured in the first post) and what they think of them.
    We just got a set on one of our demo chairs. The inset of the inner bearing is just 5mm from the surface of the hub. The overall hub width is also narrower than a Spinergy. On my chair, my wheel spacing noticeably increased when I put them on my chair. With the proper length camber tube, I would guess they have the potential to shave somewhere between 1/4 & 1/2" off of the overall width.

They look like they would pose a very minimal risk of developing creaks down the road and their weight is comparable to an LX. The spoke design is defintiely unique and it is a design that would make them very difficult to damage. One of the reasons is that they will twist slightly under torsional load. While this does not affect performance in any way, that give probably makes them a less-than-ideal choice to use with a hub lock. I suspect there would be more flex when using a D's Lock or SureLock with the TwinStar than would be the case with a Spinergy LX.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    on the inside of the hub, the inner bearing towards chair is flush and the outer bearingface is inside hub about an inch. it made for a difficult time finding an axle that would fit correctly. i either had to grind a button down a little to fit inside the hub(which made it kinda hard to release when reaching out of car) or have a longer one and run the nut all the way down and then the button sticks out just a hair.
    they have other spacing options avaiable since I got mine, I got mine when the wheel first released.
    So are your Topolinos the 2.3" bearing width?

same setup as that pic, never measured it

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    same setup as that pic, never measured it
    The illustration on the top, I assume. The one on the bottom has the narrower bearing spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    The illustration on the top, I assume. The one on the bottom has the narrower bearing spacing.
    yea, that's the one. makes for weird axle size when used on a TiLite.