Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: New SCI

Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    When we last saw Dr. Lim he asked him a couple of times if he would like to talk to a therapist or group concerning coping with his SCI. Ezra said he was fine. I am concerned as I am not fine how can he be fine.
    It's really, really tough to be a caregiver. My husband is a lot less fine with my MS than I am, principally because actually having the condition is an active process that requires constant adaptation and creativity - whereas my husband feels helpless because he can't fix me. Your son's independence and resilience will grow as he meets each challenge and interacts with others who have been in a similar place. It's one of the most complicated dances I know.

Things seem to be falling in to place. Wheelchair is ordered and will be coming in two weeks. Ordered hand controls & sending them back for different ones that are not so bulky. SSI is completed and Ez is excepted. FASA sent in, waiting the amount we need to come up with to pay for college. Now looking at getting some remodeling for easier access for Ezra at home. One good item is we were in the middle of a remodel. Will have to reacces what the plans were and figure out a plan to include wheelchair accessability.
    The hardest for me was when we actually sat down with the wheelchair rep, decided on measurements and what to order. Really did hit me on the way back to work. We really did order a chair for our son.

Sorry to hear about your sons injury. I know you're probably sick of hearing it but he is very lucky to see improvement this early. I also had a t5 fracture but my injury is complete and I have no feeling or movement from my chest down but I also consider myself "lucky" , As I was close to not surviving my injuries. My prayers are for your son to have a full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    The hardest for me was when we actually sat down with the wheelchair rep, decided on measurements and what to order. Really did hit me on the way back to work. We really did order a chair for our son.
    I can't imagine.

It has been awhile since I have looked at the forum. Good news. My son is in his second semester of college and doing great! I found a physiatrist where he is and had his initial appointment last week. Dr did say with what my son has recovered he does not think he will be 100% again. We both have thought about this but.. Never said it out loud or have anyone else. However.. Dr wanted him to start physical therapy right away 2 times a week on the treadmill with a harness and water therapy. First time we heard of braces for his ankles to be more stable and the possibility of not needing forearm crutches. He would still use his chair for mobilization but short distance, getting in and out of the car and in the house. On the way home my son said. I can live with that. New goal! So glad as he was giving up on working out.

Mom15- This seems so strange to me. It appears that he is doing very well and has gotten a huge amount of return. Has he been doing any rehab?
    Why would you resign yourselves to anything at this point?