Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New SCI

Thanks for the fish oil idea. We have been getting fish oil, B vitamins, C and etc from Dr Draeger. I appreciate all the information you can give us. Keep them coming and all your prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    Thanks for the fish oil idea. We have been getting fish oil, B vitamins, C and etc from Dr Draeger. I appreciate all the information you can give us. Keep them coming and all your prayers.
    a holistic doctor! Sounds good.

Thanks for the update.

Be thinking long-term. Diet, supplemental support, therapies of various kinds... rehabilitative regimens can take months or years to yield visible results, and with a holistic approach one can seldom pinpoint which modality is most effective. Probably they all cooperate, in ways we do not fully understand. These are as much lifestyle changes as treatment modes - so hang in there and be patient, you're doing everything you can to help Ezra maximize his potential.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 02-06-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: wording

We had our first out patient appointment with Ezra physiatrist (sp?). The more that I listen to what Ezra tells the Drs the more I learn from him. When he sits up or moves he kind of throws his self up. I know now that he can not control his abs much again as of the SCI he has problems from the nipples down. Dr felt he was still making some progress however Ezra of course feels it is so slow.. He was reminded that it has only been about 2 months. Seems longer to both of us for some reason. He is to continue with his PT & water therapy. Ezra did tell his Dr about the laser treatments and he had never heard of this and not sure if it would help. I stated that I felt that his gait and posture was helped by the laser, massages and small adjustments.
    We will not see him again now unless there is a change or questions. Dr said that we could set up a phone appointment if questions and if need be we could come to MN. As we are about 4 hours away. Ezra was glad he can start working out his upper body but to take it slow. Apparently the compression fracture of the T5 is still there and probably always be. T6 looks ok now. As the T5 is supported by the ribs the compression fracture is stable. Hard for me to understand how he will get better if this compression is still there.
    Ezra did tell him about sled hockey and how excited he is to be able to play. He would like to get on an adult team eventurally. The skaters he is with are younger grade school and maybe middle school. There are a couple of college students that play with this team however do not travel much up north as they are in Madison. Ezra did help one of the younger kids get their first goal. He seems more of a coach with these kids than a player. They all look up to him so much, it is nice to see.

As the T5 is supported by the ribs the compression fracture is stable. Hard for me to understand how he will get better if this compression is still there.
    That's one of the questions you could ask in a phone appointment with the physiatrist. Over the next few days, as you sit with the information he gave you at the consultation, you'll probably find many questions coming to you - be sure to write them all down (even though you might think you'll remember them), and when you feel ready you can take the physiatrist up on his offer to answer questions via telephone. It's a good idea to keep current with physiatrists, so yearly in-person appointments might be worthwhile.

Two months is not a long time, by SCI standards - it seems like it, though, because you've been focused 24/7 on what to do next. Although my SCI is disease-related, I know how hard it is to get your mind around what has happened - and the decision-making process can be excruciating. It sounds like you've got a good forward momentum going and a receptive medical team in place.

I don't think the compression is still there, but the compression fracture is still there. I'm not sure what he means by '...and probably always (will) be'. It will heal.

Thanks I was confused that what he said also. He actually did not look at the disc that I had brought from the MD with the xrays of his back. The Dr just read the report from the radiologist. The Dr we saw was a physiatrist so maybe they do not look at xrays. We have been told as the T5 & T6 were injured that the ribs hold the spine stable therefore he can start doing some rehab on his upper body too unless his back hurts.
    I just pray that Ezra keeps his upbeat attitude and keeps progressing.

I am in need of some ideas & or advise. It has been a little over 2 months since my sons accident. He has been keeping busy with therapy's. When we last saw Dr. Lim he asked him a couple of times if he would like to talk to a therapist or group concerning coping with his SCI. Ezra said he was fine. I am concerned as I am not fine how can he be fine.
    He states there is another person a year older than he that has a worse case than he that if he has questions he can talk to him.
    This next couple of weeks are going to be difficult for me I can not imagine for Ezra. This coming weekend I am taking him to Madison for his sled hockey game. Also his friends from high school that are in college are down there are coming and he is going to go with them after. Also the next week he goes back to his team in St Cloud Thursday - Sunday. I will meet up with them on saturday and bring him home on Sunday. Will be hard as the team has 3 home games that weekend and I do see how hard it is for him to watch even the games on line.
    As a mom I want to spare him from more hurting but also I know he must cope one way or another. Hard..

Today he is able to move his upper body however has back & neck pain which has just started this last week. He was in a inpatient rehab for two weeks and learned to walk min with fore arm crutches. For distance he uses a wheel chair. I have been told he is very lucky. Why do I not feel like he is lucky. He was going to play college hockey and go to school next year. His goal now is to skate one more time in warm ups with his team. I need to be prepared on what to say or do when this all does hit him as the Drs have told us that all patients go through different stages of depression, anger, frustration and more. If there are any suggestions please help me out. T
    Its all relative that term lucky, its perspective... I blew apart C5 at 15yrs old playing highschool football... C5 sucks compared to T5 but it's better than C4......... but it all suck compared to walking right? Always someone worse off in life.