Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New SCI

Exactly. Bonnette.

That indeed is good news. Lots of people do more than just therapy with a Physical Therapist.

If he had someone to go to the pool with him, he could do what his stamina allowed and increase it gradually.

At that age, we all knew so much more than everyone else LOL. I am glad he is coming home. I know you worry.

He is on the right track. Keep us updated.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

We are home. The weekend was very emotional as leaving the team and knowing he will not go back to skate. However on the long ride home we talked alot. College next year as he has decided on a school as he was accepted into 3 of the 3 he applied for. Ezra has a very good attitude as to getting back in to intense rehab (his athletic attitude) and hopefully the experimental lazer therapy. We will see this week if he is a candiate for this. Also called the neurosurgeon office in MN for results of the xray. They will mail the report. This Dr was stating that he has two fracures T5 & T6. That his pain seems to be in the healing process that there is not anything they can do for him.
    Today we start with water therapy. Back to the road of recovery.

It sounds to me like you're heading in the best possible direction, and it's incalculably helpful that Ezra's attitude is positive and that he was such superb support from you. I am glad that water therapy begins today! My very best wishes going forward on the road to recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    We are home. The weekend was very emotional as leaving the team and knowing he will not go back to skate. However on the long ride home we talked alot. College next year as he has decided on a school as he was accepted into 3 of the 3 he applied for. Ezra has a very good attitude as to getting back in to intense rehab (his athletic attitude) and hopefully the experimental lazer therapy. We will see this week if he is a candiate for this. Also called the neurosurgeon office in MN for results of the xray. They will mail the report. This Dr was stating that he has two fracures T5 & T6. That his pain seems to be in the healing process that there is not anything they can do for him.
    Today we start with water therapy. Back to the road of recovery.
    There are disabled sports so he doesn't have to give up being an athlete. I am glad he is home with mom as I am sure you are too. Let us know about the lazer therapy.

Good luck and good healing.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Keep us updated on your son's progress. Have you checked into Courage Center or RIC in Chicago? I know Courage does a lot with water therapy. My sister was there when she was a kid. She has CP.

Thanks momo3 but we are 5 hours away from chicago.
    I will keep you up to date on the lazer. I believe as soon as he gets back on track he will look in to other sports. My elder son already is talking to him about sled hockey as he was going to play college hockey next year. We will see what the future brings.

Thanks momo3 but we are 5 hours away from chicago.
    I will keep you up to date on the lazer. I believe as soon as he gets back on track he will look in to other sports. My elder son already is talking to him about sled hockey as he was going to play college hockey next year. We will see what the future brings.
    Been following your thread since the beginning. His progress is exciting. And now that he is home, you must become the independence therapist. Because if you don't you will become the opposite of that and, just as spoiling him when he was young made no sense, it still applies. Good luck mom and please continue your updates

I am a mom to a 20 year old Junior hockey player. On Dec 6,11 he was playing in a tournament and went head first in to the boards. We were not able to attend however, another players hockey family followed the ambulance to the hospital and kept us upto date via phone. We lived 5 hours away and drove down just as our son was out of the MRI. I can not explain my feelings as we walked into the Intensive care unit where he was flat out and not able to move. I believe I was numb and still am. After much discussion and consults the Drs stated he had a concussion, fractured T5. They were not sure at this point of the damage to his spinal cord. We would need to wait for swelling to go down.
    Today he is able to move his upper body however has back & neck pain which has just started this last week. He was in a inpatient rehab for two weeks and learned to walk min with fore arm crutches. For distance he uses a wheel chair. I have been told he is very lucky. Why do I not feel like he is lucky. He was going to play college hockey and go to school next year. His goal now is to skate one more time in warm ups with his team. I need to be prepared on what to say or do when this all does hit him as the Drs have told us that all patients go through different stages of depression, anger, frustration and more. If there are any suggestions please help me out. T
    My condolences. Your son is very lucky - his injury isn't a cervical one, his injury sounds like it's an incomplete one, and he can walk. As soon as his spinal shock wears off, I'd bet he'll regain even more function. As for hockey, he can still play - it's called sled hockey.

Just be supportive of your son, that's the best thing you can do for him. I was 11 when I was injured. My parents were physically there for me, but not emotionally. My father actually blamed me for my accident and told me it was my fault that I broke my neck. Because he is young, he very well may lash out at you. Let him vent, try not to take it personally. I remember lashing out at everyone around me, but then again I was just a child at the time. I wish the movie Murderball was around at the time I was recovering, it's a great movie, in my opinion, for the newly injured to watch and realize that not all hope is lost.

As of today I know what all of you are talking about trying to get the PT you need. Just got a call from my son's housing mom in MN and thank goodness she went with him to his first PT. They cancelled again. He has not had PT in two weeks. The reason now is that the Pt was in a meeting. Long story short Darice asked my son if it was ok if she stepped in. He had not problem with it. She got the director and stated that the discharge papers said he was to have PT 4 days a week. they have cancelled twice on him and looking only at 2 days a week. Not acceptable. the Director stated they would get is straightened out Also he is to have water therpy every day. He is getting this tonight but then on his own? I am not comfortable with him being in a pool alone. He still has back and neck pain and not able to walk without assistance in the water. I called my case manager for the insurance company and she stated she had tried talking to the clinic last week and they would not talk to her without my sons permission. she was able to tell them that insurance does cover this. today they told Darice they were not sure if it would cover. I am calling the sister kenny in MN as they referred us to this facility for out patient. Not a good referral . hopefully they will have some suggestions. Do not know what I would do without Darice there and how do I convince my son he needs to stand up for himself. Sorry I am rambling but I hate being so far away and helpless .
    That's horrible. Is there any way he can get a membership at a gym that has a pool? Even if he just goes with a friend or family member, it's better than nothing. Any aquatic therapy is amazing.