Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New SCI

New SCI

I am a mom to a 20 year old Junior hockey player. On Dec 6,11 he was playing in a tournament and went head first in to the boards. We were not able to attend however, another players hockey family followed the ambulance to the hospital and kept us upto date via phone. We lived 5 hours away and drove down just as our son was out of the MRI. I can not explain my feelings as we walked into the Intensive care unit where he was flat out and not able to move. I believe I was numb and still am. After much discussion and consults the Drs stated he had a concussion, fractured T5. They were not sure at this point of the damage to his spinal cord. We would need to wait for swelling to go down.
    Today he is able to move his upper body however has back & neck pain which has just started this last week. He was in a inpatient rehab for two weeks and learned to walk min with fore arm crutches. For distance he uses a wheel chair. I have been told he is very lucky. Why do I not feel like he is lucky. He was going to play college hockey and go to school next year. His goal now is to skate one more time in warm ups with his team. I need to be prepared on what to say or do when this all does hit him as the Drs have told us that all patients go through different stages of depression, anger, frustration and more. If there are any suggestions please help me out. T

My condolences for your sons injury. I think many times it is harder on the parents than us.

I trust you know how blessed you are that his injuries are not more severe. Most hockey injuries end up with the person being a complete c5/6 or higher quad.

The time is early, it sounds like good stuff that he is walking in such a short time. He is an athlete and will continue to be one. Many of us had dreams like his. The sports will continue if he chooses. I can see a potential Paraolympian it sounds like. He is an athlete and will continue to be one no matter what venue he plays in.

It seems his goals are set and he's working hard, as they should be. I think once you come in contact with oither SCI's you'll see how forunate he is.

You've come to the right place, the support and information here in incredible. You are getting prepared by coming here. I'm sure the rest will chime in also.

Remember, you have to take care of yourself so you can be there for your son. I can assure you that no matter the outcome; your son will be okay. He will be capable of leading a very fullfilling life completley independent to take care of himself.

As a man injured 38 years ago, the best suggestion I can him is to get as strong as he can. This is a time to work hard and also a time for patience.

You've come to the right place mom. Have a good cry and know that this will get better and it will be okay.

Im so sorry, I know that numb feeling, I am the mother of a 16 yr old, he became injured when he was 14. You and your son are so fortuneate that he is upright so quickly, like Patrick said, this could have been so much worse. He has a long hard road ahead of him but it sounds like he has so much potential.

Ask all of your questions here, I have learned so much from the members, they are caring and knowledgable. You can also private message me if you would prefer.

Thank you both so much for your thoughtfulness. I am so happy I found this forum.

Mom15, it sounds like your son is doing very well, especially in view of what might have happened. This is a great place for information and support in the journey - welcome, and best wishes to you and your whole family.

I am so sorry to hear of your son's accident, but if I read correctly his injury is just a month ago? That he has made such progress in such a short time bodes very well for continued progress, perhaps (although no one can ever say with certainty) even a full recovery. Please continue writing here with whatever questions you might have, or even if you just need to vent. This is a major event in the life of your son and for you too, and we are here to listen, to try to help as best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom15 View Post
    Thank you both so much for your thoughtfulness. I am so happy I found this forum.
    Hello "Mom15,"
    Welcome to the Care Cure Community, but so very sorry about your son's injury. Just know that when you have any questions we are here for you to help in any way we can.

All the best,
    GJ

wonderful that he is showing signs of recovery. it is true, he is lucky.
    It is impossible to say for sure how much he will get back. the swelling is what caused my lasting problems, and I was expecting to make a full recovery.

During my adventure with a sci, I have learned that many do make a lot of recovery after the swelling goes down. that could take several months. His being in a rehab is good.

as a mom, I get that the worst thing is something happening to your kid.

As a person with some affects of sci who has been at care cure a long time, I can say that yes he is lucky he isn't a t5 complete, or any higher or lower complete sci.

I think that must be what they mean by lucky. lucky that he is an incomplete injury and may recover enough to walk again, and have function of bowels bladder and sexual function.

I wish you healing, for your son and for your bruised hearts. I can imagine the anguish you have had to suffer these last few weeks, just not knowing.
    there is a lot of potential for recovery though, and that is very lucky indeed.

he is in my prayers, and so are you.
    welcome to care cure. sorry you had to find us, Glad you did.

I had a non-traumatic and incomplete spinal cord injury when I was 11 years old. I'm 50 now and have had a great life so far. I have been very lucky as far as I am concerned.

The only advice I can give is to give him the support he needs as he adjusts.... but otherwise just help him as you would any other child preparing for a life on their own. That is what my parents did for me and is one of the reasons I consider myself very lucky.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

would he be a candidate for project walk or sci walk?
    I agree with two weeks being too short. at least from hanging around here observing what rehab others do.