Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patient Lift Information Needed

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    It is powered and well worth it.
    We eventually had a ceiling lift installed, but the hoyer goes to the lake with us and came in handy when my husband wedged his chair on the small ramp going out to our garage. It was too heavy for me to get him out of that pickle.
    I took the hoyer outside and got him out of the chair there.
    I want a powered unit too. Can you use it manually if the power malfunctions? That's nice that it's easy to transport. I bet you were really happy to have it when your husband got stuck. Not to mention how easy it was on him due to the fact he didn't have to be lifted out by several people. That's always a scary situation, hoping no one loses their grip on you.
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by sreneet View Post
    Thanks for the response. I had a ceiling track system in my last house. My new house has a double recessed ceiling so there's no way to mount it. I would use it with a sling if I could.

I tried adjusting it every way possible but it would always end up under my armpits.
    It is possible to have a "ceiling" track no matter what your ceiling or lack thereof. In our bed and bathroom the ceiling joists run parallel to the track, so there was no way to use the overhead joists as load carriers. The load is carried from the walls and posts to the floor. We were lucky to find a competent vendor.

On the SureHands shoulder problem, you and others know much more than I. Thanks for the info.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

BHM ceiling lifts are now made by Arjo but you can still go to bhm.com; they have a voyager portable lift that has a portable track that can be taken down and put up in a matter of minutes. There is actually 2 BHM Voyager portable lifts on ebay right now but you still need to buy the tracks and battery.

We have both the BHM V4 permanant ceiling lift, a Hoyer Advance battery operated lift and a manual lift. A recent misshap, lets just say batteries were dead in both the ceiling and the Hoyer lifts so we had to resort to the good old fashion manual lift.

I'm a C5/6 as well and have been using a Surehands lift for about 11 years. For the first 7 years I was able to use the slingless arm system and loved it but as time went on my underarms could not handle it anymore. The rep came and evaluated me and switched the leg plate but nothing could stop my body from wanting to slip down. Perhaps too much disproportional bottom weight was causing me problems. I weigh about 125 and was always a bit bottom heavy. I switched to a sling and am pleased but I still have to be careful that the sling is used on the closest loops to prevent it from slipping underneath my arms. I am sure have permanent damage from the overuse of the first apparatus. I regret not acting sooner. Have you tried the sling with the Surehands?

My Surehand system is on a pole and so I can use the sling. Perhaps, the track system would not be able to accommodate this. Sorry, I missed where you had said that you could not use the sling. The Surehand people should be more aware that certain people should not use their system and warn of what could take place after extended use. The guy who evaluated me should have seen that the new plates were not going to change things and could have saved me several weeks of serious pain and further injury.

Quote Originally Posted by selaine View Post
    I'm a C5/6 as well and have been using a Surehands lift for about 11 years. For the first 7 years I was able to use the slingless arm system and loved it but as time went on my underarms could not handle it anymore. The rep came and evaluated me and switched the leg plate but nothing could stop my body from wanting to slip down. Perhaps too much disproportional bottom weight was causing me problems. I weigh about 125 and was always a bit bottom heavy. I switched to a sling and am pleased but I still have to be careful that the sling is used on the closest loops to prevent it from slipping underneath my arms. I am sure have permanent damage from the overuse of the first apparatus. I regret not acting sooner. Have you tried the sling with the Surehands?
    I never did try using a sling with it. I didn't even know they used them with their system. I wish I would have known about the slings. I still have shoulder and armpit pain from using the arm system too long. I'll probably put the Surehands system in an RV when I get one using a sling. I can't use the track because of the way my bedroom ceiling is built.

Thanks for the info!
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    BHM ceiling lifts are now made by Arjo but you can still go to bhm.com; they have a voyager portable lift that has a portable track that can be taken down and put up in a matter of minutes. There is actually 2 BHM Voyager portable lifts on ebay right now but you still need to buy the tracks and battery.

We have both the BHM V4 permanant ceiling lift, a Hoyer Advance battery operated lift and a manual lift. A recent misshap, lets just say batteries were dead in both the ceiling and the Hoyer lifts so we had to resort to the good old fashion manual lift.
    Thanks for the info!
    Renee