Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patient Lift Information Needed

Patient Lift Information Needed

I need to buy a Hoyer type lift soon and need advice on what to look for. I'm a c 5/6 quad. I used a Sure Hands lift in the past but had to stop due to shoulder and under arm pain.

Any recommendations or info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Renee

An alternative to SureHands is a hygienic sling. Google it for a picture. May solve the shoulder problem but replace it with an easy of use problem.

I cannot use a SureHands because of the fused hips, but you are the first complaint I have seen of this nature on the SureHands. And somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall the SureHands sales guy telling me that it is designed not to put any pressure in the armpit. Are you sure it was set up properly.
    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

I just saw a Hoyer Advance for a great price on eBay yesterday. It must be picked up in IL though (no delivery or shipping). It folds up small for travel and storage, which is an advantage. The Molift Smart is similar, but more expensive. The Liko Light is another option to check out.

Be sure to purchase one that you have had a chance to try with a vendor first. Powered (vs. manual) is much safer for your caregivers.

(KLD)

We had the same problem with the Sure Hands with my mother, and in fact it was interfering with her breathing properly, so we had to stop using the metal sling and go with a fabric one.

We have a Hoyer Advance and are happy with it. It is smaller than some we saw and easier to take places.

Quote Originally Posted by gac3rd View Post
    An alternative to SureHands is a hygienic sling. Google it for a picture. May solve the shoulder problem but replace it with an easy of use problem.

I cannot use a SureHands because of the fused hips, but you are the first complaint I have seen of this nature on the SureHands. And somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall the SureHands sales guy telling me that it is designed not to put any pressure in the armpit. Are you sure it was set up properly.
    Thanks for the response. I had a ceiling track system in my last house. My new house has a double recessed ceiling so there's no way to mount it. I would use it with a sling if I could.

I tried adjusting it every way possible but it would always end up under my armpits.

Here's a video of a lady using one, you can see how it is under her armpits not just squeezing in on her sides. That's what it was doing to me.

Here's the link;
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=Yeg2JS_Fzqg
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We have a Hoyer Advance and are happy with it. It is smaller than some we saw and easier to take places.
    Thank you! I've been looking at that lift. Is yours manual or powered?
    Last edited by sreneet; 01-06-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    Renee

Quote Originally Posted by sreneet View Post
    ...I tried adjusting it every way possible but it would always end up under my armpits...
    The body support is not for everyone. You do need some upper back strength to hold your shoulders from collapsing in. One thing my wife has done is lock her hands together across her stomach rather than hold onto the bar with her hands. That seems to help her keep her shoulders down. That doesn't leave her hands free but we are only doing attended lifts right now.
    If you have core strength, the claim that is does not lift from your arms is true. I can lift myself placing the pads 4" below the armpits with no slippage.

You know that a ceiling track lift can be mounted from wall supports, right? We did this where I work where we had asbestos in the ceiling to avoid having to do asbestos abatement procedures. I have photos if you are interested.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by sreneet View Post
    Thank you! I've been looking at that lift. Is yous manual or powered?
    It is powered and well worth it.
    We eventually had a ceiling lift installed, but the hoyer goes to the lake with us and came in handy when my husband wedged his chair on the small ramp going out to our garage. It was too heavy for me to get him out of that pickle.
    I took the hoyer outside and got him out of the chair there.

Quote Originally Posted by MSspouse View Post
    The body support is not for everyone. You do need some upper back strength to hold your shoulders from collapsing in. One thing my wife has done is lock her hands together across her stomach rather than hold onto the bar with her hands. That seems to help her keep her shoulders down. That doesn't leave her hands free but we are only doing attended lifts right now.
    If you have core strength, the claim that is does not lift from your arms is true. I can lift myself placing the pads 4" below the armpits with no slippage.
    My husband has lifted himself too and it worked. He then tried it again only using the muscles I have use of and it slid up on him too.
    Renee