Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency-Dad passed away, do I have to pay for medical luggage?

Emergency-Dad passed away, do I have to pay for medical luggage?

My dad passed away this morning. I am flying down to be with my mom in Arizona. I will be flying Delta or American Airlines. I am trying to find out if I have to pay for a suitcase that has nothing but my medical supplies. Mainly Catheters. I have to bring 10 days worrth with me. Am I going to have to pay for the medical supplies going with me?

I'm sorry to hear your bad news.
    When we flew Frontier we did not have to pay for the Vest (percussion machine) that had to be checked. It has it's own travel case with wheels and a handle like a suitcase.
    Be sure to call and talk to someone in person before you go to the airport.
    Ask if they have someone that can answer specific medical supply questions.

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    My dad passed away this morning. I am flying down to be with my mom in Arizona. I will be flying Delta or American Airlines. I am trying to find out if I have to pay for a suitcase that has nothing but my medical supplies. Mainly Catheters. I have to bring 10 days worrth with me. Am I going to have to pay for the medical supplies going with me?
    I am sorry for your loss "medic1."

From the Delta website: http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...lies/index.jsp

Medical Supplies & Equipment

We realize that medical supplies or equipment may be a necessity on your trip; therefore these items are allowed on board as additional items at no extra charge. Some medical items can be carried on the plane, along with the regular carry-on allowance, as long as they meet the standard size and weight limits. If the medical supplies or equipment are included in a larger bag that contains other non-essential items, that bag will not be considered a free item, and will be subject to normal baggage fees. Below are additional details for your reference.

Breathing Apparatus

Delta will accept a self-contained breathing apparatus used by emergency rescue units as checked baggage as long as the unit's weight does not exceed 150 lbs. (68kgs). Please contact Reservations 24 hours in advance to let us know that you will need to bring a breathing apparatus along with you on your trip. Information about onboard medical oxygen is found in our section on Services for Travelers with Disabilities.

Needles/Syringes

If your medication must be administered with a needle or syringe, it will be permitted in carry-on baggage as long as it is accompanied with medication that has a professionally printed label identifying the medication, a manufacturer’s name, or pharmaceutical label.

Looking at the American Airlines website, it wasn't clearly stated on the pages that I read. You may need to check with a reservations agent.

All the best,
    GJ

My condolences on the loss of your dad medic, please have a safe trip.

my condolences for the loss of your dad.
    I would not check your medical supplies if you can help it. When my mom died, I took three weeks worth of catheters with me and they all fit in a large backpack. I flew from pa to arizona, I had 2 carry on bags, one of clothes, and one of medical supplies. i did have to buy more underwear while I was there, but in general I traveled light and checked no bags.

I am so sorry, medic1. It's good you're able to be with your mother and I hope your travel arrangements will be smooth and uncomplicated.

My sympathies medic, to you and your family.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I'm so sorry.

I would also try to take the supplies as carry on if possible. You don't want to risk them losing the bag! Even a minor delay in receiving it could cause a huge problem I imagine.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Well american airlines charges no matter if it is medical or not. I have all my meds and several days worth of caths in my carry on. I have the rest in my suitcase. I got everything I need in one suitcase so at least I wont have to pay for another bag. If it gets lost I will have to deal. Hopefully it will be there, with two lay overs it is a very real possability it will be delayed but I will have enough to get by. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers. I think I am still in shock.

My deepest condolences for the loss of your father.

I'm not certain about specific companies, but many do allow a bag with only medical supplies and such to be brought free of charge. Call the airline you'll be flying with to be sure though!