Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Millions of Americans Living With Paralysis Provided Hope with the Introduction of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act of 2003

Oh Mattc, you don't have to leave him alone (hehe, sorry DA), we'd just prefer that you attack the idea instead of the person.

The Introduction of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act of 2003 is tomorrow at 2:30 in the Rayborn building. For those of you who received letters from your Senators as well as your Congressman saying the Bill had not been reintroduced, well tomorrow is the day to call and begin the Push Forward. While you are at it, Push for Senate Bill 303 Sponsored by Senator Hatch, Specter, Kennedy and Miller.

I will be attending tomorrow and will post if anything new surfaces. I will get a copy of the actual Bill for posting.

Start dialing at 2;30 EST......

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Thank you Cheese.

Open this link and click on your state to get the phone numbers of your reps.

[This message was edited by seneca on 05-07-03 at 08:02 PM.]

Christopher Reeve Backs Paralysis Bill in Congress

Christopher Reeve Backs Paralysis Bill in Congress
    51 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Joanne Kenen

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Paralyzed film star Christopher Reeve (news) came to Congress on Wednesday to push for a new bill that he said would be the first to provide a comprehensive approach to treating and eventually curing paralysis.

The $300 million package includes funds for research into paralysis and rehabilitation. It addresses access to treatment and quality of life issues for the 2 million Americans who have been paralyzed from spinal cord injuries, strokes and diseases such as multiple sclerosis.

Reeve, best known for playing 'Superman' in the movies, suffered a life-threatening spinal injury in a horse-riding accident event in May 1995. He now divides his time between directing film projects and working for a foundation that bears his name.

Paralyzed from the neck down, he has made astonishing progress recently. Some feeling has returned and he can breathe without a ventilator for up to a few hours at a time.

Reeve said science is making such rapid progress that a cure -- getting up from a wheelchair and walking -- is a 'realistic' goal. He also said that someone who suffered the same injury today that he endured eight years ago might have a very different prognosis, facing less damage.

'I certainly was not expected to live,' he recalled in an interview after a news conference with the bill's sponsors.

But some patients now being treated in trials with debris-eating cells called macrophages appear to have less damage and one patient was able to recover fully from a severe injury similar to his own, he said.

Reeve has come to Congress to lobby for several bills over the years with mixed results. He was part of the successful push for more funding for the National Institutes of Health (news - web sites). But broader federal funding for stem cell research which he supported did not pass.

This is the first time he has focused on specific legislation dealing with paralysis.

'This bill could do so much,' he said. 'It can help with research and also quality of life -- jobs, access, recreation.'

When not raising money or working for the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, Reeve still keeps his hands in the arts. This week he directed four messages filmed by celebrities as part of the new home for the U.S. Constitution to be opened in Philadelphia this July 4.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...lth_reeve_dc_1

OK - I went to this press conference today. It was awesome and everyone with CRPF is very confident that this Act will pass and the funding is in place for appropriation. So - anyone that reads this needs to get in touch with your Rep to convince them to support the Act. The easiest way to do this is at www.ChristopherReeve.org . I hope you do it right now as we have momentum.

Awesome press conference with a comprehensive and collaborative package laid out. The proposal suggests that there be 5 US regions that will be used to gather info, prevent redundant research and to form a cohesive and collaborative effort.
    CR looked and sounded great and full of energy. Tom Harkin is sponsoring a Senate bill similar to the one in the house that was presented today as well. He says that with both Senate sponsore on the appropriations committee, there will be funding! Lets hold Spector and Harkin to their word!
    I will post the legislative numbers tomorrow as well as tect from the Congessional press release as well as Harkins press release.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

mattc // DA

Mattc seemed to regard an opinion
    of DA, that research outside humans, in others, is a waste of time,
    as just stupid.

However had the same researches been done just in humans, it would have all straight referred to our kind. And the persons having been able to talk about what this or that is making them sense.
    So had the same experiments been done just within our kind, instead of unconsenting imprisoned women, men and children of brain-related kinds,
    indeed a lot might have gone very much faster.

(Just given the atrociousness of many the crimes science committed,
    I doubt they'd dare to do the same to someone of our ape mammal kind.)

Hello,

I just learned that Senate confirmed an acceptance of Slovakia into NATO. Everybody voted aye. Could anybody tell me when there will be a voting for Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act? Thank you.

Joe

I know that this has been posted before, but as a reminder, please go here. Just enter your zipcode and follow directions. Send this link to everybody you know.

We need to know if there is a member of this Forum who has a connection to Senator Gregg of New Hampshire, and would be willing to contact him regarding the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act of 2003. He is a key Republican and we need his support on this bill.

PN