Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Millions of Americans Living With Paralysis Provided Hope with the Introduction of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act of 2003

Originally posted by cheesecake:

Has everyone seen the online chat with CR on the 9th regarding this Bill? If not I can post the chat time and link if people are interested.
    Please do.

Thanks.

I received this "Invite" because I joined the Hope Network through CRPF. You can sign up and receive legislative updates, etc. by going to www.christopherreeve.org and selecting the Newsletters.
    Here is the info about the online chat.
    I am very excited to tell you that we are about to introduce the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act, a comprehensive piece of legislation that will reach out to help people living with paralysis in a myriad of ways.

And to mark this landmark step, I wanted to personally invite you to join my husband for a live Internet chat exclusively for Hope Network members on Friday, May 9th at 4 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).

Click here for more information on the chat.

People living with paralysis, their caregivers and family members understand that while we all look forward to the day our loved ones walk again, their quality of life is of utmost importance.

Christopher and I are asking our Hope Network friends to help us gain Congressional support for the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act.

The bill has four components:

1) The bill advances cutting-edge medical research at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)

2) The bill establishes a Paralysis Clinical Trials Network through the National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (NCMRR)

3) The bill expands basic rehabilitation and health sciences research through the activities of the Veterans Health Administration.

4) The feature of this Act closest to my heart is "Improving Quality of Life for Persons with Paralysis and Other Physical Disabilities." If passed, the legislation will call for The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to carry out projects and interventions to improve the quality of life and long-term health status of persons with paralysis and other physical disabilities. The CDC programs will focus on caregiver education, physical activity, prevention of secondary complications, and coordinate services to help remove environmental barriers.

For more information on the bill, please visit our website.

Thank you for your support and for helping us spread the word about the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act.

Dana Reeve

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Since the "Click here" didn't work, I am copying it as well. In order to receive the invite you MUST join the Hope Network. You can join by going to http://www.christopherreeve.org/team/member.cfm

Live Chat with Christopher Reeve

April 22, 2003

For Hope Network members only!

Join us for a Live Chat with Christopher Reeve on Friday, May 9, 2003, at 4pm (EST) as Christopher discusses the introduction of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act and how it proposes to improve the lives of Americans living with paralysis, their caregivers and loved ones.

We will email you all the information you'll need to listen to the Live Chat, including the internet address where you'll find it and information on RealPlayer (audio software you'll need to download if your computer does not already have it. The stream will be encoded for 28K, 56K and dual ISDN Internet connections).

We'll also post this information here the day of the chat, so add this page to your Favorites option.

But first, send in your questions now to Question@crpf.org. (We will make every best effort to answer your question, but due to the high number of submissions, we cannot guarantee your question will be selected.)

For a summary of the Act, click here.
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/hope...fm?ID=504&c=68

Tell a Friend! This chat is only for Hope Network members, however, so tell your friends to join now:

Click here to join the Hope Network!
    http://www.christopherreeve.org/team/member.cfm

Remember, add this webpage to your Favorites option and come back here on Friday, May 9th at 4:00 p.m. EST/1:00 p.m. PST!

The Hope Network
    We Must. We Can. We Will.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

[This message was edited by cheesecake on 05-01-03 at 08:59 AM.]

[This message was edited by cheesecake on 05-01-03 at 09:03 AM.]

bent, I think that you are confusing the "stem cells" that are being said to be used for blind people with pluripotent stem cells that would be needed to create neurons and other cells for injured spinal cords.

Unfortunately, I cannot find where I have posted this before but I have posted an explanation before that the cells that are being used for corneal repair are *not* pluripotent stem cells. They are simply cells from another cornea that can help rebuild the cornea. I repeat, these are not pluripotent stem cells. The way these cells are being used is similar to the philosophy of using full-thickness skin grafts where you know that there are some cells in the skin that can produce more skin. Instead, they are simply isolating some of these cells that produce more corneal cells, calling them stem cells, and transplanting them to the people who need corneal repair.

The words "stem cells" are being thrown around too loosely.

Wise.

Originally posted by Wise Young:

Unfortunately, I cannot find where I have posted this before but I have posted an explanation before that the cells that are being used for corneal repair are *not* pluripotent stem cells.
    Wise.
    Dr. Young, you briefly mention it here. I'm not sure if this is the explanation you're referring to.

[This message was edited by seneca on 05-02-03 at 02:41 PM.]

Chris2 -- LOL, you're right but maybe I could donate some sperm first.

DA -- thanks for your examples!

who is "they"??, stem cells didn't work??, "they" refused to use OEG??
    What type of stem cells are you're referring to?? Embryonic, adult? Do a search on
    PubMed, you'll find that research on different stem cells and olfactory ensheathing glia is still ongoing. No one has definitively shown whether or not either of these will work or not. They both show promise.

"Cancer drugs go to trials with 1 percent of the data needed for SCI." Where do you get your statistics?

I don't have time to research when other drugs have been approved, but I'm sure there have been other drugs that have taken as long for approval... probably in the mental health field.

Your arguments consist of broad, borderline conspiracy theory rhetoric. I think I know what DA stands for.....DumbAss!

DA, some words to live by for you....
    It is better to remain silent and seem stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Matt

Mattc:
    I think I know what DA stands for.....DumbAss!
    This topic is about the passage of the CRPA bill, lets try to stay focused please.

Thank you.

seneca, I just looked and could not find where I have posted it before. Perhaps it was an email that I had sent somebody. In any case, let me explain it again in another topic since it is off the subject.

mattc...PubMed, you'll find that research on different stem cells and olfactory ensheathing glia is still ongoing. No one has definitively shown whether or not either of these will work or not.

ok newby. explain to dumbass why no one has shown whether oeg work or not in 10 years of research? then explain to dumbass why the rest of the world was jaw dropped at results of oeg and is rushing to do human trials...please explain to dumbass.

then explain to dumbass the results of the stem cells research done a few years back and point out to dumbass where i read wrong. i would also like to hear your thoughts on the old cedar stem cell protocal disaester and please set old dumbass straight.

sorry seneca, i'll leave him alone.......

matt