Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Millions of Americans Living With Paralysis Provided Hope with the Introduction of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act of 2003

Kilgore,

If you go through the web feedback form, your message is automatically rejected if you don't live in the particular Senator/Rep's state. Send a direct email and you'll do just fine.

-Steven

All right Folks, Time to put your foot to the pedal. Your help is needed in moving the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act forward. If you are a veteran your help is especially needed right now.
    Please go to Congressional Website ATand look at the VA appropriations Committee. They are key right now. If you are a veteran or a loved one with SCI is, please contact ALL members of this committee and let them know how the Act will positively affect your life.

I am asking that members contact anyone they know in the following states and get them to write to their Senator and Congressman. For the folks in S.C, there is a committment by Graham but we need him to understand just how important his committment to SCI is. Marmalady, time to get moving.

If you see your state and can write or help, please post on the Forum what actions you are taking. Let see that ALL paralysis research is funded. For DA, as well as all of the others.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>New Hampshire
    Tennessee
    Wyoming
    Missouri
    Ohio
    Kansas
    Alabama
    Nevada
    South Carolina
    Virginia[/list]

Thanks all. Now lets Rock with this one.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
    It's already tomorrow in Australia!"----- Charles Schultz

Support Message. I have attached a Word Document file. I keep copies of this document, which asks people to support the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act of 2003, in my wheelchair backpack and pass them out to anyone who may be interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The future of SCI research in this country depends on the passage of this bill.

From a CRPA Bill lobbyist:
    Thank you for writing. The bill is still in Committee in both the House and
    Senate. We have a commitment from the House Energy and Commerce Committee
    that they will consider the bill in March or April. However, the Chairman
    has just changed, so we are waiting to confirm that commitment remains. The
    new Chairman is Representative Joe Barton (R-TX).

The Senate is a bit tougher, but we are working on it. Senator Judd Gregg
    (R-NH) is the Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
    Committee.
    You can contact the Honorable Joe Barton by clicking here and Senator Judd Gregg by clicking here.

We must let them know that their support is desperately needed.

Dr. Young:
    2. The key pressure points are Representative Joe Barton (R-TX) in the House Energy and Commerce Committee and Senator Judd Gregg (R-NH) in the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee.

The e-mail I sent through the link on Representative Barton's website was not accepted because I was identified as a non resident by my zip code. I would suggest that we direct our calls, letters, faxes, etc., to his Washington office.

Washington Office
    2109 Rayburn Building
    Washington, DC 20515
    (202) 225-2002
    (202) 225-3052 fax

I just received a similar response from Senator Gregg's office. We need to direct all correspondence to his Washington address as well:

Washington office
    393 Russell Senate Office Bldg
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20510
    (202) 224-3324

Trent Lott, former Republican Majoity Leader, is now a cosponsor. That's got to help.

The final push looks promising.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

So is Reeve Bill Dead?

[This message was edited by Max on 10-14-04 at 11:16 AM.]

I want to remind people that the CRPA bill does not appropriate funding for the research. In other words, it will be an unfunded mandate imposed upon the NIH when it is very short of money and struggling to fund 13-15% of grant applications. It is important for Congress to attach some funds to this bill or else the bill will just have a symbolic purpose and will not push forward research as rapidly as it should.

I hope that the reason why the bill was blocked was because some Senators wanted to attach some funding to the bill. This is the best "face" that I can see the Republicans putting on the recent action blocking the vote of the bill. I am not sure how true the rumor is that the bill was blocked for "ethical concerns". This does not make sense because the bill has been around Congress for 3 years and nobody had ever raised ethical concerns. It has nothing to do with embryonic stem cells. I cannot imagine that any Senator would be so politically insensitive as to stop the bill because it bears the name of Christopher Reeve and because Christopher supported stem cell research. This was true before and after his death. It would be simply unconscionable if the rumor were true.

So Close to a Big Win on a Difficult Day

Today I write you with a heavy heart, but I want to thank you for all of your efforts this year. We at the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation are deeply saddened and shocked by the sudden death of Christopher. I am sure you join us in extending our condolences to the entire Reeve Family. Should you wish to send a message to the Reeve family, you may do so through our website.

Christopher was our leading advocate and was extremely proud of the Action Network. His legacy will continue through your hard work and commitment to advance medical research and quality of life programs.

I was fortunate to be with Christopher in his final hours, and he was still hopeful that with your help the day will come when Congress passes the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act (CRPA). We even procured three new co-sponsors in the House of Representatives: Representatives Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), and Pete Sessions (R-TX). In an effort to end the year with a win for the Action Network, we redirected our efforts last week to advance one vital component of the legislation--collaborative, multi-disciplinary research.

On October 7th the House of Representatives passed the Research Review Act, H.R. 5213, by a recorded vote of 418-0.

The bill calls on the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to draft a report on ways they have encouraged the use of multidisciplinary research teams (like those outlined in the CRPA) to advance treatments, develop new therapies, and collaborate on clinical trials with respect to spinal cord injury and paralysis research.

Christopher was making calls to Congressmen just last week urging their support.

A vote on the bill was expected in the Senate Monday night. Unfortunately, an unidentified Senator prevented passage of the legislation. It has been rumored the bill was blocked in response to the coverage of Christopher's death being focused on stem cell research.

However, we will not be deterred.

We have made great advances this year, and your voices (calls, emails, letters, editorials) have been heard in Washington. We will continue to update you on those issues important to the Action Network and the disability community.

Congratulations and thank you,

Michael Manganiello
    Sr. VP, Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation

WE MUST. WE CAN. WE WILL.

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998