Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: can you stop the poop?

Unhappy can you stop the poop?

I've been reading for a while, but just finally registered here to do my first post. I work part time. I have some issues with not being able to hold in my poop when my body decides it's time to go. Normally, I have a pretty good bp going, and I'm pretty regular. But sometimes my body decides that I need to go an extra time, or (shudder) occasionally I get a case of diarrhea. Working doesn't really fit well with that, and even though it's rare, I am terrified that one of these days it's going to happen while I am at work. Without disclosing a lot of personal details, I am a teacher and it would not be looked well upon for me to have an accident! I am hoping to go for full-time employment at some point, and wouldn't want an embarrassing accident like that on my record either. I almost exploded in the classroom while giving a final exam recently. My choices were to sit there with my stomach gurgling and cramping, or wheel down the hall to the bathroom and leave the students unattended. Lucky for me, it was just a ton of cramping and gurgling until I was almost home. As I was sitting at a red light, it all came flying out. As disgusting as it was to drive the rest of the way home with the smell, I was SO HAPPY to have made it out of the school before that happened. (In case you're wondering, I didn't try to go on the toilet at the school, because my diarrhea tends to last for a really long time once it starts. I didn't want to be imprisoned on an unfamiliar public toilet for an hour or two without my regular supplies.)

In all seriousness, is there a plug or something that can be put up for VERY TEMPORARY use? Say, like if I started getting the horrific cramps that signify I am going to be in trouble, and I only needed to last an hour or so before making it home to explode? Long enough that I could find sub coverage if necessary.

Gross topic, but it's grosser and is a hell of a lot of more embarrassment to go through a public accident in your workplace!

I'm a walking para with a neurogenic bowel and bladder, so I'm not sure my advice is applicable.

Nonetheless, I use cholestyramine to firm up stool to prevent bowel accidents. If you do a bowel program this may not be a solution for you. I just end up going multiple times in a day (or trying) to make sure I'm evacuated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman View Post
    I've been reading for a while, but just finally registered here to do my first post. I work part time. I have some issues with not being able to hold in my poop when my body decides it's time to go. Normally, I have a pretty good bp going, and I'm pretty regular. But sometimes my body decides that I need to go an extra time, or (shudder) occasionally I get a case of diarrhea. Working doesn't really fit well with that, and even though it's rare, I am terrified that one of these days it's going to happen while I am at work. Without disclosing a lot of personal details, I am a teacher and it would not be looked well upon for me to have an accident! I am hoping to go for full-time employment at some point, and wouldn't want an embarrassing accident like that on my record either. I almost exploded in the classroom while giving a final exam recently. My choices were to sit there with my stomach gurgling and cramping, or wheel down the hall to the bathroom and leave the students unattended. Lucky for me, it was just a ton of cramping and gurgling until I was almost home. As I was sitting at a red light, it all came flying out. As disgusting as it was to drive the rest of the way home with the smell, I was SO HAPPY to have made it out of the school before that happened. (In case you're wondering, I didn't try to go on the toilet at the school, because my diarrhea tends to last for a really long time once it starts. I didn't want to be imprisoned on an unfamiliar public toilet for an hour or two without my regular supplies.)

In all seriousness, is there a plug or something that can be put up for VERY TEMPORARY use? Say, like if I started getting the horrific cramps that signify I am going to be in trouble, and I only needed to last an hour or so before making it home to explode? Long enough that I could find sub coverage if necessary.

Gross topic, but it's grosser and is a hell of a lot of more embarrassment to go through a public accident in your workplace!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoman View Post

Hi "Ottoman,"
    to the Care Cure Community. It would be helpful to know to your level of injury, so please consider filling out your profile under the "User CP" tab.

What is your level of injury? How many years injured? What do you take and use for your bowel program? How often do you do a bowel program? How many accidents a week, month do you have? What is your diet like? Do you supplement your diet with fiber? How much water do you drink a day? Have you spoken to a gastroenterologists?

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-04-2012 at 06:30 PM.

This is a tough one. I am not sure of an emergency pill/"plug" you can use if some loose poop is banging on the door and gurgling to get out. By the time it's all the way down there, there isn't much you can do. Basically, if it's gurgling, I think that is the time you need to get into the bathroom to check, if it's possible. The over the counter diarrhea meds can get you through a rough day of loose stools (but careful not to firm you up too much), but can't act on stuff already at the door.

So maybe you have to focus on prevention. My dad was having a rough time with intermittent loose stools. Starting a daily probiotic and daily metamucil has helped him tremendously. Also keep an eye on the diet, to see if there are foods that are a trigger for loose stools/accident. For my Dad, he was eating too many sugar alcohols in his protein bars (Atkin's bars).

I fainted dirty side up again with the shit cramps you speak of. sorry you are having this problem. if it is unusual maybe get checked for c-diff.

The only thing that finally solved this problem for me was to take both prebiotics and probiotics.

Good luck. There seems to be no end to the miseries of sci.

I too use cholestyramine on a daily basis to help prevent accidents.
    Daniel

I was trapped in a van with several other people on a 100 degree day when the same thing happened to me.

Nothing but sympathy from me dude.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Decided I was uncomfortable with the level of personal information in this post and deleted it.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 01-07-2012 at 03:23 PM.

After dinner with a girlfriend...went to get a cupcake for dessert and also had a cup o joe. well, i didn't make it to the bathroom at the cupcake joint fast enough, and then i made my friend put a plastic grocery bag on her car seat b/c it was leaking thru my pants. disgusting i know. i'm going to see a gastro tomorrow and looking for answers just like you!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon