Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Complete High Quad Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Hope and wiener dogs.
    True, hahaha!

hi..leo... i am a c4-5 quad complete with bicebs movement and i totally get u... i often get into wondering how i can get independent.... daamn i cant as i am dependant .... i read those wonderful stories of others how they just independant and i am happy f them... but that does not mean i stop for hoping for cure, stems cells... and do hope f the outcomes in next few yrs.......
    C5 with no grip/wrist ext. or triceps
    (DHAL) If you think you can, you will

I agree with Jody and only see facts on this thread. I'm mostly C5/6 and can't fathom what it would be like to be a higher level. Given triceps I think I could rule the world. I know several people with C5 injuries who ended up paras. When I hear them complain I tactfully suggest take a vist back to a rehab unit to see people with different injury levels. I think that hope and the fact that we don't want the SCI to win gets us out of bed each day. It has worked for me for 31 years. Yes, I've been hearing "in 10 years" since '81.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

My husband refers to himself as a head on a 230 pound sandbag.

Former C4-5 here. My Christmas/birthday present was being kicked down a rung on the quad ladder, so I am now C4 complete. I lost the function in my left arm which was used for driving my chair and feeding myself.

The timing of this thread is quite amazing. It came the same day that I had my power chair control box switched over from left hand drive to right hand drive. My right arm can drive me around the apartment but not strong enough to ride transit. Suddenly my world has gotten quite a lot smaller. It is feeling like a new SCI; at least I am going through the emotions of it.

That said, I expect my life to be as rich as it was before. That is my focus, to build a new phase of my life that includes more contemplative practice. I was always too busy before.

Fascinating thread. Great work shotglass, you are taking back your life and making your mark

I'm a C 4/5 since July of 1990. Went 2 months or so without any movement, but fortunately never required a vent. I can use my right arm enough (with a wrist splint) to drive my chair, feed myself and aid in typing, though most is down with a mouthstick. Before my injury I could take just about anything apart and put it back together without even knowing what it was. I had hands so dexterous they seemed to work on their own. Now, one is nearly fully contracted, the other is fubarr'ed from biting at it as a nervous habit. If a cure came tomorrow my hands would still be shit. But I have no dreams of a cure anymore. I live day by day, trying to keep myself busy (just started hunting and shooting so that's a plus), but if I don't get a book published or win the lottery so that I have enough money to live on my own, before something happens to my mom and stepdad (God forbid), I don't plan on sticking around much afterwards. I hate that I'm a burden on them, even if they don't/won't admit it. Please don't get me wrong on this, I don't have anything against lower paras and I know every SCI has their own woes, but when I read that a para (for instance) that is depressed because they can't dance with their spouse/sig. other, I fucking cringe. I tried working once and lost more medical benefits than I earned in money, plus going to work during the winter's cold and snow put me in the hospital with mild pneumonia. I look at my hands with contempt and have no one else to blame for it other than myself, so I can't hate someone else. They say depression is anger turned inward, and I would have to agree. This past year was a pretty good year, getting out and hunting and shooting, but I know this "happy-go-lucky" facade I put on for my family will come tumbling down one day and I'll end up doing the "unthinkable" because there are no assisted living homes around here and $700 a month is not enough for an abled bodied person to live on, let alone anyone dependent on care. I just go on each day and pray that tomorrow will either be better or not be my last. Wow, I've rambled and vented shit that rarely leaves the place in my head that I keep stuff hidden. I know I'm lucky to have what I have, but it's not enough to get by on ones own, and that's all I really need.
    So... anyone wanna hear a joke? :Facade back up:

You're making it seem like paras don't have challenges to deal with. That's bogus.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm a para too. SCI is not easy... for anyone... the person affected directly or their family, friends and caregivers. High tetraplegia brings complications and limitations that paras are "fortunate" not to experience. SCI sucks all the way around.

Leo makes important points here. He's not "dissing" paras in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    You're making it seem like paras don't have challenges to deal with. That's bogus.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    I never said para's don't have problems, I'm saying I'd rather have the problems that para's have.

I think it would be a great life lesson for just about everybody to spend a month as a high quad.

Scott, I hear you loud and clear. I know one of things that Dr Silver syas about his therapy is that people may be able to get off vents and other benefits may accure. This would be huge for our friends who are suffering daily with these problems. 2012 MIGHT be a big year as everyone of us is thinking. Hopes that you will see great improvements.

Anthony