Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Complete High Quad Perspective

Yes, I can elaborate further tomorrow or later this week. I'm quite busy during the week so we may have to wait's till next weekend.
    Futurewalker

This is the cure forum so all I can say is there has to be a cure to get us out of this mess.

Paraplegia ain't much fun either and I have had my fair share of depression, often from a feeling of being different from the rest of the human race. I asked a friend of mine who was a C4/5 quad whether he wished he were paraplegic, he said "no I wish I were as I used to be." We were in rehab together and he used to watch how hard I had to work to do the littliest things and yet he could do nothing which was even worse.

Do you guys think we'd have the energy to walk again? I'm 53 now - I wonder how hard it would be?

I think they may avoid operating on high quads for fear of damage but we will have protest and anyone who's willing to take the risk should be allowed.

You've all heard of Jerry Silver's proposed nerve graft which Cheng has already performed but without chase and a few other tricks? Well I've found other nerve grafting procedures which go to support, I think, that it could be a viable treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post

Do you guys think we'd have the energy to walk again? I'm 53 now - I wonder how hard it would be?

six years post injury I remember seeing an x-ray that showed my sacrum had fused to the surrounding bone. That will make walking very difficult.

Miracle surgery or treatment to allow us to walk again... After 29 years in the chair as a C6/7 complete quad, the idea of this happening for me is a pipe dream. And, imagining the scenario is frightening. Our bodies change so dramatically with spinal cord injury over time: osteoporosis, kyphosis (An abnormal outward curvature of the vertebrae of upper back), no abdominal, trunk, glutes, or leg musculature, shortened tendons and ligaments (even with religious range of motion). It would take tremendous time and effort in physical therapy to rebuild these structures and the pain may be unbelievable to endure.

Is a "cure" possible...anything is possible and may one day happen. I think the best and most reasonable "cure" is going to be in the following moments after an injury, before the body has a chance to degenerate as it does after many years post injury.

Meanwhile, I do what I can to support groups and institutions that are doing research and working on making life better for all of us with spinal cord injuries.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm a C-4/5 complete and I function at C-4. I've got almost 22 years in. I'm 41 and I didn't think that I had it in me to put up with the bs this long. I have a great girlfriend of 9 years that makes my life as tolerable as can be. In that respect, I'm a lucky guy.

Our concern must be the repair/reconnect of the cord. Muscles, bones, joints, ... are solvable.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

A cure would be great especially if it helped anyone who suffered a new SCI injury. As for myself 27 years into this shitty nightmare I like to picture a cure something along the lines of fast food menu. .
    You can pick and choose what you would like to get back for example.
    I'd love to have use of my hands and fingers.
    The ability to take a piss or crap on command.
    Have sensation throughout most of my body.
    The ability to strengthen certain muscles. (stomach)

Not too concerned about walking would take too many surgeries to repair this body after 27 years of sci!!
    I'm a C4/5 complete
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Thanks guys - you've really cheered me up

CowboysPlace makes me laugh lol. I agree with you all the way.